hy_tek
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:12 pm

Pi 3B+ hdmi audio output or headphone jack to VGA monitor question

Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:26 pm

Hello. I am new here and I have an issue concerning the Pi audio outputs. I am trying to use my Pi3 b+ with an older VGA monitor with onboard speakers. I need to use an active HDMI to VGA adapter to change from the HDMI output to the VGA input of my old monitor. There seems to be two flavors of adapter available. One has no audio breakout connection and another does. My monitor has speakers and needs audio input. Should I simply get an HDMI adapter with an audio out connection so I can break out the audio from the HDMI input? Or would the safer way be to use the onboard Pi audio headphone jack directly to the monitor speakers. I am a bit hesitant to hook up anything directly off the Pi board until I am sure it can handle the output current. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I am only using the monitor to play with my Pi and learn some coding at present. So I don't need anything but basic audio. :?:

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10999
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Pi 3B+ hdmi audio output or headphone jack to VGA monitor question

Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:15 pm

Its easier, and with better audio quality to simply use an HDMI to VGA adapter with audio out. Using the analog audio port while NOT using compositite video requires manual configuration.
Power requirements are not an issue.

hy_tek
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: Pi 3B+ hdmi audio output or headphone jack to VGA monitor question

Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:02 pm

Thank you for your reply and your kind help. I was a little afraid the HDMI audio output was only enough to drive an audio preamp rather than speakers directly. You cleared that up for me. I have a lot to learn about my new Pi and I'm only just getting started. :)

drgeoff
Posts: 8606
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Pi 3B+ hdmi audio output or headphone jack to VGA monitor question

Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:15 pm

hy_tek wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:02 pm
Duplicate deleted.
Last edited by drgeoff on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drgeoff
Posts: 8606
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Pi 3B+ hdmi audio output or headphone jack to VGA monitor question

Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:17 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:15 pm
hy_tek wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:02 pm
Thank you for your reply and your kind help. I was a little afraid the HDMI audio output was only enough to drive an audio preamp rather than speakers directly. You cleared that up for me. I have a lot to learn about my new Pi and I'm only just getting started. :)
The HDMI audio is digital and multiplexed in with digital video. No way to connect that directly to speakers.

The analogue audio output on the RPI's 3.5 mm TRRS jack is line level and will not drive speakers directly. Power amplification is necessary. Ditto for the analogue audio output from a HDMI to VGA converter.

Perhaps you misinterpreted mahjongg's "Power requirements are not an issue."

hy_tek
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: Pi 3B+ hdmi audio output or headphone jack to VGA monitor question

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:24 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:17 pm
drgeoff wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:15 pm
hy_tek wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:02 pm
Thank you for your reply and your kind help. I was a little afraid the HDMI audio output was only enough to drive an audio preamp rather than speakers directly. You cleared that up for me. I have a lot to learn about my new Pi and I'm only just getting started. :)
The HDMI audio is digital and multiplexed in with digital video. No way to connect that directly to speakers.

The analogue audio output on the RPI's 3.5 mm TRRS jack is line level and will not drive speakers directly. Power amplification is necessary. Ditto for the analogue audio output from a HDMI to VGA converter.

Perhaps you misinterpreted mahjongg's "Power requirements are not an issue."
Would the analog line out jack be powerful enough to drive a set of earbuds if not a speaker directly? That would seem to be my only other option without buying a DAC with an audio amp.

drgeoff
Posts: 8606
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Pi 3B+ hdmi audio output or headphone jack to VGA monitor question

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:40 pm

hy_tek wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:24 pm
drgeoff wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:17 pm
drgeoff wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:15 pm

The HDMI audio is digital and multiplexed in with digital video. No way to connect that directly to speakers.

The analogue audio output on the RPI's 3.5 mm TRRS jack is line level and will not drive speakers directly. Power amplification is necessary. Ditto for the analogue audio output from a HDMI to VGA converter.

Perhaps you misinterpreted mahjongg's "Power requirements are not an issue."
Would the analog line out jack be powerful enough to drive a set of earbuds if not a speaker directly? That would seem to be my only other option without buying a DAC with an audio amp.
You will hear the audio in the earbuds but whether loud enough depends on the earbuds and your personal definition of "adequate loudness".

Don't know why you say a DAC with audio amp is your only other option. Why is a DAC necessary?

hy_tek
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: Pi 3B+ hdmi audio output or headphone jack to VGA monitor question

Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:41 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:40 pm
hy_tek wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:24 pm
drgeoff wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:17 pm
Would the analog line out jack be powerful enough to drive a set of earbuds if not a speaker directly? That would seem to be my only other option without buying a DAC with an audio amp.
You will hear the audio in the earbuds but whether loud enough depends on the earbuds and your personal definition of "adequate loudness".

Don't know why you say a DAC with audio amp is your only other option. Why is a DAC necessary?
The HDMI audio signal out of the Pi is digital is it not?..... I cannot input that output directly into speakers....thus it needs to be converted to analog and amplified. Is that not the function of a DAC with an amp? Perhaps you could suggest some other options to drive an onboard monitor speaker off my Pi HDMI digital outputs? I am open to any suggestions.

User avatar
davidcoton
Posts: 3192
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:37 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Pi 3B+ hdmi audio output or headphone jack to VGA monitor question

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:08 pm

hy_tek wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:41 pm

The HDMI audio signal out of the Pi is digital is it not?..... I cannot input that output directly into speakers....thus it needs to be converted to analog and amplified. Is that not the function of a DAC with an amp? Perhaps you could suggest some other options to drive an onboard monitor speaker off my Pi HDMI digital outputs? I am open to any suggestions.
I'm afraid you are missing something obvious. The Pi's TRRS jack (mentioned above by yourself) has an analogue signal. If you put that into an analogue amplifier, you can drive speakers big enough to rock the house ... or town.
"Thanks for saving my life." See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1327656#p1327656
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”

drgeoff
Posts: 8606
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Pi 3B+ hdmi audio output or headphone jack to VGA monitor question

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:14 pm

There is no HDMI audio signal that can be fed to an audio DAC. As I said in a earlier reply the HDMI port outputs digital video and digital audio mixed together. An ordinary audio DAC cannot handle that.

As you are going to need an HDMI to VGA converter for your VGA display, get a converter that also has an analogue audio output.

LTolledo
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 am

Re: Pi 3B+ hdmi audio output or headphone jack to VGA monitor question

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:17 pm

Hi there,

I have just tested the audio from the RPi3B+' s TRRS jack using my Bose SoundSport In-Ear headphones, and a cheapo earbuds from the dollar store.

Audio is quite audible from both. omxplayer was used to play a video file.

Reconfirmed that when I used Kodi to play the same video file. Audio output from TRRS jack to earbuds is OK.

Connecting RPi3B's TRRS jack to VGA monitor's audio input jack using standard 3.5mm audio plug (TRS plug) is possible.
Yes, I actually tested it myself, and still ongoing as I wrote this post.

As an added test, I connected a set of amplified speakers directly to the RPi's TRRS jack. Audio is OK!

so now its up to you to test it yourself.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

hy_tek
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: Pi 3B+ hdmi audio output or headphone jack to VGA monitor question

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:41 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:08 pm
hy_tek wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:41 pm

The HDMI audio signal out of the Pi is digital is it not?..... I cannot input that output directly into speakers....thus it needs to be converted to analog and amplified. Is that not the function of a DAC with an amp? Perhaps you could suggest some other options to drive an onboard monitor speaker off my Pi HDMI digital outputs? I am open to any suggestions.
I'm afraid you are missing something obvious. The Pi's TRRS jack (mentioned above by yourself) has an analogue signal. If you put that into an analogue amplifier, you can drive speakers big enough to rock the house ... or town.
Actually I'm not missing anything. Yes I already know that the output from the TRRS jack is analogue.....however MY point is that neither the HDMI digital audio signal nor the TRRS analog signal can be used directly unless some sort of external D to A conversion/amplification is done. The one point I DID apparently miss is the fact that the audio from the HDMI cannot be "broken out in digital form" as I misunderstood from another gentleman's comment. It has to be converted to analog by an HDMI to VGA adapter at which point it needs some sort of amplification to direction drive a monitor speaker. You perhaps missed my original point.....my intention was to drive my onboard LED monitor speaker somehow "directly" off the Pi boards jacks.....which apparently cannot be done without some sort of either digital to analog conversion(HDMI output) or simply amplification using the TRRS jack. I think we have gone as far with this as is necessary and I appreciate all comments trying to help. I am moving on. Thank you all!

hy_tek
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: Pi 3B+ hdmi audio output or headphone jack to VGA monitor question

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:45 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:17 pm
Hi there,

I have just tested the audio from the RPi3B+' s TRRS jack using my Bose SoundSport In-Ear headphones, and a cheapo earbuds from the dollar store.

Audio is quite audible from both. omxplayer was used to play a video file.

Reconfirmed that when I used Kodi to play the same video file. Audio output from TRRS jack to earbuds is OK.

Connecting RPi3B's TRRS jack to VGA monitor's audio input jack using standard 3.5mm audio plug (TRS plug) is possible.
Yes, I actually tested it myself, and still ongoing as I wrote this post.

As an added test, I connected a set of amplified speakers directly to the RPi's TRRS jack. Audio is OK!

so now its up to you to test it yourself.
Thank you so much for that information! That is exactly the information I was seeking. I will try this out myself based on your input. I was simply afraid of frying my Pi board by trying this without knowing. Now I am not afraid to experiment. This thread is done thanks again to all for your help.

drgeoff
Posts: 8606
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Pi 3B+ hdmi audio output or headphone jack to VGA monitor question

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:21 pm

hy_tek wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:41 pm
.my intention was to drive my onboard LED monitor speaker somehow "directly" off the Pi boards jacks.....which apparently cannot be done without some sort of either digital to analog conversion(HDMI output) or simply amplification using the TRRS jack.
I have never heard of a monitor with onboard speakers which did not contain an amplifier to drive those speakers from a line level input.

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10999
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Pi 3B+ hdmi audio output or headphone jack to VGA monitor question

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:50 pm

Both the Analog audio from an HDMI to VGA converter (if it has built in HDMI audio decoding) AND the TRRS (A/V) port of the PI produce analog line level audio, which with a simple speaker amplifier can drive speakers, and which (without audio amplification) can directly drive earbuds.

Return to “General discussion”