smid1584

Is my Raspberry Pi 3 model B damaging my USB micro cables?

Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:36 am

At this point, i'm so frustrated that I don't care if I can fix it or not, I just need a solid answer.
I'm relatively new to the world of raspberry Pi. had mine for a few days and I enjoy tinkering around with it. but I seem to have run into a small complication and it's pretty frustrating.

I've been powering my pi 3 with my samsung adaptive fast charger. No real problems using it. the pi has been running fine. Earlier today, I was using the cable and noticed the fast charging wasn't working. I figured I must have damaged the cable myself, and I needed a new one anyway. So I purchased a new usb micro cable at the local best buy ($14 for a 4 foot cable.freaking highway robbery! I just bought a six pack of cables on amazon for $10). On the trip home, my phone was fast charging correctly with the new cable. A few hours ago I was using the pi with the new cable. again, no problems. Me and a bud hopped in the car to head to the club, and my phone isn't fast charging anymore with either of my adapters. It's beyond aggravating to scour the web and not find an answer. I can't be the only person this is happening to.
Thoughts, advice?

Burngate

Re: Is my Raspberry Pi 3 model B damaging my USB micro cables?

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:58 am

The first thing you're going to be told is: to power your Pi, use the official supply, not any old charger you happen to have arround.

Fast chargers work by raising the voltage above 5v when asked to do so.
This is not a good idea, as the Pi needs 5v, no more, no less.
You appear not to have damaged either your Pi or your charger, so you've been lucky, so far.

But, once you've got a cable that charges your phone satisfactorily, Don't use it (or the charger) for your Pi!

RaTTuS

Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:44 am

IIRC
Fast Charge cables basically have the 2 data pins shorted,
so use one for for phone , and have a decent normal cable for your RPI , no need to keep swapping them around
use a decent 2.4A 5V usb PSU for the raspberry and not a fast charge device
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

HawaiianPi

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:29 am

I have used many of my micro-USB cables interchangeably on my Pi computers and Samsung Adaptive Fast charge phone with no issues whatsoever. I can't imagine what the Pi could even do to a cable, or how it could affect adaptive fast charging, which uses a data handshake with the phone to initiate, while the Pi power port doesn't even have data lines.

Perhaps you need to purchase better quality cables? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

However, the recommendation of getting a dedicated PSU for your Pi is sound. The official RPF power supply is affordable and a proven performer. It outputs 5.1V at up to 2.5A and has nice fat 18 AWG power wires. I recently received one and I've found it works well, but I haven't had time to do any really heavy stress/load testing on it (although others hear on the forums have, and recommend it).

Personally, I run my Pi computers and charge my phone with a pair of RAVPower chargers which support Samsung Adaptive Fast Charge and Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 on one port, and have a second "iSmart" port for high current 5V charging. I usually use the iSmart port for the Pi, but I have often used both ports to power two Pi computers simultaneously, and have never had any trouble fast charging my phone afterword.

I have a collection of micro USB cables from iSeeker, Monoprice, Tronsmart and Volutz. The Monoprice Premium cables are my favorite due to their small connector heads and high flexibility, but they are not the most durable if you are hard on cables (I've never had one fail on me, but my friend Ross has broken several). The iSeeker nylon braided cables with aluminum connector shells are more durable, but a lot less flexible (I use those in my car, and they're still working great after 2.5 years). Volutz probably makes the best micro USB cables available, but the connector is a tight fit, which I suppose is both good and bad (depending on how often you want to connect and disconnect the device). The Pi and Tinker Board servers I have running 24/7 both have their power delivered by short Volutz ArmorCord series micro USB cables.
RaTTuS wrote:
IIRC
That's an old standard that's not used any longer (that I am aware of). Newer fast charging systems use a data handshake with the device to determine compatibility for fast charging (and what fast charging system to use for the smart chargers).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

drgeoff

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:58 am

RaTTuS wrote:
IIRC
Fast charge cables do not have shorted pins. They have decently thick conductors.

As said above an older "fast charge" method was that the charger had the data pins shorted or a resistor between them or resistor(s) from the data lines to ground or 5 volts. Samsung, Apple etc had their own different "standards". That's why it was not uncommon for chargers with multiple USB outputs to have one marked "iPad", another "Galaxy" etc. The device being charged could sense what the USB output was claiming to be capable of delivering and thence draw up to that amount.

The newer systems are more complex and use AC signalling.

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q ... weriq-work

Return to “General discussion”