Ben Fridge

Raspberry Pi 3 Dead While trying to install NOOBS, what could have caused it?

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:36 pm

Hello my name is Ben, I recently bought myself a raspberry pi 3 to learn more about programming and just in general how technology works.
It was all going well and i had just started my raspberry pi 3 trying to install NOOBS, I sat looking at the resizing fat partition screen. And I waited between 1-2 minutes and then my raspberry pi 3 stopped displaying anything to my monitor and i noticed that the red light that indicates that power is provided had gone out. I do not know why this happened and that's why i came here to ask you for help.

Thanks
Ben

hippy

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Dead While trying to install NOOBS, what could have caused it?

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:09 pm

Ben Fridge wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:36 pm
And I waited between 1-2 minutes and then my raspberry pi 3 stopped displaying anything to my monitor and i noticed that the red light that indicates that power is provided had gone out.
It could be a power supply issue. If you unplug the supply, remove the SD card, plug the supply back in, does it turn the red light back on, even if only briefly ?

Do you have some other power supply to test with ?

Is your Pi a 3B or a 3B+ ? The 3B+ has a silver metal square embossed with the Raspberry Pi logo towards the top left.

Heater

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Dead While trying to install NOOBS, what could have caused it?

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:16 pm

I suggest you start by installing Raspbian from the raspberrypi.org download pages. Follow the simple instructions there.

NOOBS causes more problems and confusion than a newbie should have to deal with.

hippy

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Heater wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:16 pm
I suggest you start by installing Raspbian from the raspberrypi.org download pages. Follow the simple instructions there.

NOOBS causes more problems and confusion than a newbie should have to deal with.
I would suggest the OP starts by getting power to the board. That we try to help them achieve that.

There's nothing particularly wrong in using NOOBS and it is almost certainly not the cause of whatever issue the OP is experiencing.

LTolledo

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:12 am

Dead PSU perhaps?

What is the rating of the power supply unit (PSU) you are using?

Is it 5 Volts 2.5Amps (the officially recommended rating)?
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

pmoyle111

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:13 pm

if the pwr light is out, you either have a power supply issue or a short in the load (pi). Many power supplies these days use overload protection of some sort. So unplug the PI and measure the voltage at the power supply ends. Depending on what you have for connections, you may need to find a way to break the ends out. Best to load the supply with a resistor between 10 and 100 ohms. The voltage should be with in +/- 10% rated output.

If that tests ok, you need to have to check to see if there is an observable short at the input. This is not foolproof and is just a start. in many cases its just easiest to have spares to swap. Especially since Pi is so cheap.

if you are going to hack with this stuff, you are going to need to get set up to do some kind of hardware debugging.

Return to “General discussion”