ejolson

Backup Without Copying the Entire Card

Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:29 am

The standard advice given for backing up the Raspberry Pi is to make images of the entire SD card and store them on a Windows PC. While this method works, it has drawbacks. Upon backup, sectors on the SD card which do not hold data are copied and as well as data that hasn't changed since the last backup. Upon restore, sectors which don't contain data are written to the new SD card. This depletes the number of non-used sectors the SD card has available for wear leveling, which wears the new card out and decreases performance. Note that a filesystem trim may be used to return the written but unused sectors to the wear-leveling pool after the restore is finished, however, this final step is missing in the official documentation.

A different approach to backing up is described here that uses rsync and a copy-on-write filesystem to make incremental backups of files which have changed over time. As you can never have too many backups, one approach is to use the method described here for frequent backups while continuing to make occasional copies of the entire SD card. Having said this, I will admit that I have never made an image of an SD card for backup nor lost any data due to lack of backups. Note, however, in addition to being occasionally lucky, I also keep backups using dump and tar on separate drives and, of course, upload the really important stuff (like these notes) to other peoples computers.

In addition to a Raspberry Pi, the equipment needed consists of a suitable USB hard disk and a USB SD card reader. I will be using a Raspberry Pi 3B+, a Seagate 8TB desktop USB hard disk and a thumb sized SD card reader called Everything But Stromboli. These instructions have been tested with Raspbian Stretch up-to-date as of August 1, 2018. In what follows, a # indicates the prompt for a command that should be executed as root while $ indicates a command that can be executed as an unprivileged user. Do not type the # or $ symbols.

First, plug the hard disk into the Pi. In my case the drive was detected as /dev/sdb. Make sure it did not automount; otherwise unmount it. Next install gdisk and partition the drive using

Code: Select all

# apt-get install gdisk
# gdisk /dev/sdb
Command (? for help): o
This option deletes all partitions and creates a new protective MBR.
Proceed? (Y/N): y
Command (? for help): n
Partition number (1-128, default 1): 1
First sector (34-15628053133, default = 2048) or {+-}size{KMGTP}:
Last sector (2048-15628053133, default = 15628053133) or {+-}size{KMGTP}: 
Current type is 'Linux filesystem'
Hex code or GUID (L to show codes, Enter = 8300): 
Command (? for help): c
Using 1
Enter name: BTRFS Backup  

Command (? for help): p
Disk /dev/sdb: 15628053167 sectors, 7.3 TiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): C2F3503A-285F-4B87-87E4-3991095CA22B
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 15628053133
Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
Total free space is 2014 sectors (1007.0 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1            2048     15628053133   7.3 TiB     8300  BTRFS Backup

Command (? for help): w

Final checks complete. About to write GPT data. THIS WILL OVERWRITE EXISTING
PARTITIONS!!

Do you want to proceed? (Y/N): y
OK; writing new GUID partition table (GPT) to /dev/sdb.
The operation has completed successfully.
Format and mount the BTRFS filesystem using

# mkfs.btrfs -L Backup /dev/sdb1
btrfs-progs v4.7.3
See http://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org for more information.

Label:              Backup
UUID:               
Node size:          16384
Sector size:        4096
Filesystem size:    7.28TiB
Block group profiles:
  Data:             single            8.00MiB
  Metadata:         DUP               1.00GiB
  System:           DUP               8.00MiB
SSD detected:       no
Incompat features:  extref, skinny-metadata
Number of devices:  1
Devices:
   ID        SIZE  PATH
    1     7.28TiB  /dev/sdb1
# mkdir /mnt/Backup
# mount LABEL=Backup /mnt/Backup
Make a directory to hold the backup subvolumes and create a subvolume to hold a backup of the boot directory and another for the operating system root.

# cd /mnt/Backup
# mkdir raspberrypi
# cd raspberrypi
# btrfs sub creat boot
Create subvolume './boot'
# btrfs sub creat root
Create subvolume './root'
We now make a simple script that uses rsync to update the boot and root subvolumes using the copy-on-write semantics of the BTRFS filesystem and then clones them into snapshots labeled by date. Note that each dated snapshot will appear as a complete backup of the corresponding boot and root filesystems even though only the files that changed between each backup are stored. Using your editor of choice create a script called dobackup in the /mnt/Backup/raspberrypi directory that contains the following lines.

#!/bin/sh
if cd /mnt/Backup/raspberrypi
then
    bdir=boot-`date +'%Y.%m.%d'`
    echo Creating snapshot $bdir...
    rsync -glopqrtxDH --numeric-ids --delete /boot/ boot &&
    btrfs sub snap -r boot $bdir

bdir=root-`date +'%Y.%m.%d'`
    echo Creating snapshot $bdir...
    rsync -glopqrtxDH --numeric-ids --delete / root &&
    btrfs sub snap -r root $bdir
fi
Note that the # symbol appearing on the first line of the above dobackup script is not a prompt and must be explicitly entered. Finally, make the script executable with

# chmod +x dobackup
Everything is now configured. Incremental backups can be made each day (or less often if you desire) using the command

# ./dobackup
Creating snapshot boot-2018.08.02...
Create a readonly snapshot of 'boot' in './boot-2018.08.02'
Creating snapshot root-2018.08.02...
Create a readonly snapshot of 'root' in './root-2018.08.02'
Note that the first time the dobackup command is run it will take longer because all the files on the SD card need to be copied to the hard disk. Subsequent backups, however, will be much quicker as only the changed files will be copied. In a subsequent post I will describe how to restore one of these backup subvolumes to create a new bootable Raspbian SD card. For now, it is worth mentioning that if you accidentally delete or corrupt a file, it is easy to navigate to the correct subdirectory of a suitable snapshot in /mnt/Backup/raspberrypi to retrieve an older version of the file.
Last edited by ejolson on Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bertlea

Re: Backup Without Copying the Entire Card

Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:49 am

Thank you in advance ejolson! I have a few questions:

As you mentioned “In addition to a Raspberry Pi, the equipment needed consists of a suitable USB hard disk and a USB SD card reader.” So it is not backing up the system in the SD card plugged in to the USB SD card reader instead of the SD card running the system on the Pi right?

Is this method or a variant of this method can backup the system that is in the Pi’s SD slot (i.e. the running system)? I hope this is feasible as it will prevent downtime of the system and typically easier for my Pi-Zero W which only got one mini USB port. Even better if this method can be done over the network (internet). Hope that is feasible too.

ejolson

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:52 pm

bertlea wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:49 am
Thank you in advance ejolson! I have a few questions:

As you mentioned “In addition to a Raspberry Pi, the equipment needed consists of a suitable USB hard disk and a USB SD card reader.” So it is not backing up the system in the SD card plugged in to the USB SD card reader instead of the SD card running the system on the Pi right?

Is this method or a variant of this method can backup the system that is in the Pi’s SD slot (i.e. the running system)? I hope this is feasible as it will prevent downtime of the system and typically easier for my Pi-Zero W which only got one mini USB port. Even better if this method can be done over the network (internet). Hope that is feasible too.
The above method will attempt to back up a live root filesystem. While there is a minor risk that one or two files will change as they are backed up, rsync does a good job of coping and the changes are usually restricted to log files which don't affect the usefulness of the backup.

If you are concerned with problems that can occur when backing up a live root filesystem, a possible solution is to also use BTRFS on the SD card for the root filesystem. In this case, make a temporary atomic snapshot of the live root filesystem on the SD card before backing it up. Then, use that snapshot and rsync to update the backup files on the USB hard disk. When the backup is finished, delete the temporary snapshot from the SD card.

In my opinion, such precautions are unnecessary unless significant filesystem modification occurs during the backup. In particular, don't run an apt-get update; apt-get upgrade cycle while performing the backup of a live root filesystem. Since Raspbian doesn't support using BTRFS for the root filesystem on the SD card by default, I will defer further discussion of that technique unless there is continued interest.

PeterO

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:32 pm

ejolson wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:52 pm
The above method will attempt to back up a live root filesystem. While there is a minor risk that one or two files will change as they are backed up, rsync does a good job of coping and the changes are usually restricted to log files which don't affect the usefulness of the backup.
Unless the purpose of the system is to log information into log files that are continuously being updated. A corner case I admit :roll:
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

fbe

Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:49 pm

PeterO wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:32 pm
Unless the purpose of the system is to log information into log files that are continuously being updated. A corner case I admit :roll:
PeterO
In this case it would be more useful to backup these logfiles only and not the entire system.
And of course it would be a good idea too, to write down and backup the statements to setup the system, just in case that Raspbian Stretch suddenly gets outdated. It would be at least a good starting point for the setup with the next generation Raspbian...

We are talking about alternatives to image backup here, not what the saved system is good for. An image backup is good for duplicating a system or for recreating a system in case of damage and not to backup data, that are collected by the system.

rsync can be used instead of image backup. What is actually missing here is how to recover if you need to.

Paul Hutch

Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:38 pm

ejolson wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:29 am
The standard advice given for backing up the Raspberry Pi is to make images of the entire SD card and store them on a Windows PC. While this method works, it has drawbacks. Upon backup, sectors on the SD card which do not hold data are copied and as well as data that hasn't changed since the last backup. Upon restore, sectors which don't contain data are written to the new SD card. This depletes the number of non-used sectors the SD card has available for wear leveling, which wears the new card out and decreases performance.
My solution to that problem is to run the PiShrink script on the image file after I create it. https://github.com/Drewsif/PiShrink

It not only shrinks the disk image down it also configures it so that the system does file system expand and reboot on first use just like stock Raspbian images do.

Been doing this a lot lately, I also found that there is a status=progress command line option in the current dd that displays the progress of dd's execution.

ejolson

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:21 pm

This post describes how to restore a bootable SD card from the BTRFS snapshots created by the dobackup script. To restore one of the backups from the USB harddisk, a working Linux system is needed. An x86 PC already configured with a recent version of Linux can be used as can a Raspberry Pi. In the case that only the Pi is available, you will need two SD cards: one card configured with a freshly downloaded version of Raspbian and a second card that will be formatted with the restored backup image. In what follows it will be assumed that a single Raspberry Pi is the only Linux computer available.

Boot the Pi using the SD card that contains the freshly downloaded version of Raspbian, place the second SD card in the USB card reader, insert it and log in. In my case, the second SD card appeared as /dev/sdc. Use fdisk to partition the second card with boot and root partitions as follows.

# fdisk /dev/sdc

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.29.2).
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
Be careful before using the write command.

Command (m for help): p
Disk /dev/sdc: 59.5 GiB, 63864569856 bytes, 124735488 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device     Boot Start       End   Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdc1       32768 124735487 124702720 59.5G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Command (m for help): o
Created a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier 0x2225652c.

Command (m for help): n
Partition type
   p   primary (0 primary, 0 extended, 4 free)
   e   extended (container for logical partitions)
Select (default p): p
Partition number (1-4, default 1): 1
First sector (2048-124735487, default 2048):     
Last sector, +sectors or +size{K,M,G,T,P} (2048-124735487, default 124735487): +92M

Created a new partition 1 of type 'Linux' and of size 92 MiB.

Command (m for help): t
Selected partition 1
Partition type (type L to list all types): c
Changed type of partition 'Linux' to 'W95 FAT32 (LBA)'.

Command (m for help): t
Selected partition 1
Partition type (type L to list all types): c
Changed type of partition 'Linux' to 'W95 FAT32 (LBA)'.

Command (m for help): n
Partition type
   p   primary (1 primary, 0 extended, 3 free)
   e   extended (container for logical partitions)
Select (default p): p
Partition number (2-4, default 2): 2
First sector (190464-124735487, default 190464): 
Last sector, +sectors or +size{K,M,G,T,P} (190464-124735487, default 124735487): 

Created a new partition 2 of type 'Linux' and of size 59.4 GiB.

Command (m for help): p
Disk /dev/sdc: 59.5 GiB, 63864569856 bytes, 124735488 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x2225652c

Device     Boot  Start       End   Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdc1         2048    190463    188416   92M  c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sdc2       190464 124735487 124545024 59.4G 83 Linux

Command (m for help): w
The partition table has been altered.
Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
Syncing disks.
Note that the FAT32 partition in the standard Raspbian image is currently 42M, whereas a larger 92M partition has been created here to allocate a little extra space just in case. Since the boot partition is so small, making it slightly bigger doesn't significantly change the size of the root partition.

Format the boot and root partitions and then plug in and mount the BTRFS-formatted USB backup drive with all the archived files. For safety don't plug the backup drive in until the boot and root partitions have been formatted.

# mkdosfs -F32 -n BOOT /dev/sdc1
# mke2fs -text4 -L ROOT /dev/sdc2
# cd /mnt
# mkdir Backup
# mkdir newboot
# mkdir newroot
# mount LABEL=Backup Backup
# mount /dev/sdc1 newboot
# mount /dev/sdc2 newroot
Choose a backup snapshot to restore, use rsync to copy the files to the newly formatted SD card and then unmount the SD card. For example, to restore the snapshots made August 9, 2018 type the following commands

# cd /mnt/Backup/raspberrypi
# rsync -glopqrtxDH --numeric-ids boot-2018.08.09/ /mnt/newboot
# rsync -glopqrtxDH --numeric-ids root-2018.08.09/ /mnt/newroot
We are almost done; however, the second SD card won't boot yet because the disk partition universally unique identifiers are wrong. To avoid needless complication with UUIDs, it is easiest to revert to standard block device names for the SD card. To do this edit the file /mnt/newboot/cmdline.txt and replace

root=XXXXXXXXX

with

root=/dev/mmcblk0p2

Further edit /mnt/newroot/etc/fstab so it looks like

proc            /proc           proc    defaults          0       0
/dev/mmcblk0p1  /boot           vfat    defaults          0       2
/dev/mmcblk0p2  /               ext4    defaults,noatime  0       1
Finally unmount the SD card using the commands

# cd /mnt
# umount newboot
# umount newroot
# sync
# sync
# sync
The restored backup is now ready. Remove the SD card from the card reader, shut down the Raspberry Pi if necessary, insert the new SD card into to Pi and boot the restored backup.

Return to “General discussion”