mrlinux2u
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: Killer Apps

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:15 pm

Thought I'd start a new topic specifically about potential killer apps for the raspberrypi. I know individual apps have been mentioned else where in the forum, but there doesn't seem to be a central topic about them.

I've got some favourites (things I already use my main X86 server for),but what are yours?

XBMC - Is this the number one killer app?

LAMP Server

VOIP Server (Asterisk?)

NAS Server

nomachine nxclient

Feel free to add to this list if you'd like to.

Benedict White
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:24 am

Re: Killer Apps

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:20 pm

These are killer apps for selling the machine to lots of people to make a profit, but seem to me to have nothing to do with the foundations objectives.

mrlinux2u
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: Killer Apps

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:27 pm

Benedict White said:


These are killer apps for selling the machine to lots of people to make a profit, but seem to me to have nothing to do with the foundations objectives.



Hi,

These are just my personal favourites that I think would be a great fit for the raspberry pi and what I plan to use for my own personal use (and as a replacement for my 3 x86 computers).

Cheers

digital_addict
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: Killer Apps

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:16 am

I have just read a topic that almost turned into a flame war regarding commercialism. I don't think that this sort of thing is necessary for the foundation. I have read many of Benedict White's posts, and in general, agree with a lot he has to say. Conversely, mrlinux2u, has a point, “killer apps” (new phraseology to me) could bring in the so called lost generation. I don't care if they throw their R-Pi away in a week, the foundation still has their money.



I prefer to sit on the fence with this one, I would like XBMC or equivalent to stream movies for my wife and an IDE, to learn python, 30 years after I learned machine code.



Sorry for the length, senior moment. (3 score years +) can take its toll.

TheEponymousBob
Posts: 205
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:05 am
Contact: Website

Re: Killer Apps

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:40 am

I remain convinced by the notion of "stealth education". So-called "killer-apps" (along with a killer price) are the bait; once they"re in people"s homes, let curiosity and a healthy community producing interesting projects take care of the more important goal.

After all, I doubt I"d ever have learned Speccy assembly language if it didn"t help me hack infinite lives for Manic Miner...

Benedict White
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:24 am

Re: Killer Apps

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:44 am

mrlinux2u said:


Benedict White said:


These are killer apps for selling the machine to lots of people to make a profit, but seem to me to have nothing to do with the foundations objectives.


Hi,

These are just my personal favourites that I think would be a great fit for the raspberry pi and what I plan to use for my own personal use (and as a replacement for my 3 x86 computers).


Fair enough... and I will use one for all sorts of things... not sure I would describe them as killer apps... specifically I was not planning on using one to control an assassination robot

digital_addict said:


I have just read a topic that almost turned into a flame war regarding commercialism. I don't think that this sort of thing is necessary for the foundation. I have read many of Benedict White's posts, and in general, agree with a lot he has to say. Conversely, mrlinux2u, has a point, “killer apps” (new phraseology to me) could bring in the so called lost generation. I don't care if they throw their R-Pi away in a week, the foundation still has their money.


 Ah flame wars... there is a website dedicated to the ultimate flame!


I prefer to sit on the fence with this one, I would like XBMC or equivalent to stream movies for my wife and an IDE, to learn python, 30 years after I learned machine code.




Yes, I would like to see if I can't get IPCop working on one as a 3 watt firewall sounds brilliant to me, but then I would need a few more as well for other things, one of which is for my kids to learn how to program!




Lakes
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Killer Apps

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:56 am

This reminds me of learning DOS commands so I could run DOOM on my 386 computer.

Person learns Linux so he or she can do the stuff they want to.

Benedict White
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:24 am

Re: Killer Apps

Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:31 am

TheEponymousBob said:


I remain convinced by the notion of "stealth education". So-called "killer-apps" (along with a killer price) are the bait; once they"re in people"s homes, let curiosity and a healthy community producing interesting projects take care of the more important goal.

After all, I doubt I"d ever have learned Speccy assembly language if it didn"t help me hack infinite lives for Manic Miner...


There is a fantastic point there and inherently in the OP's post in that if someone is told it's £25 for the dog's proverbials in X, Y or Z then that might get a bite... which may lead to a nibble possibly followed by another... and we all know two nibbles make a byte

Bacan
Posts: 347
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: Killer Apps

Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:15 am

I've been informed last month (Dec 2011), that starting in the 2013 school year, there will be a planned push towards electronic text books in the USofA.

Having a tool to read school books, to me, is a major application.

How other issues are handled will be the show stopper.

generalenthu
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:43 am

Re: Killer Apps

Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:19 am

mrlinux2u said:


Thought I'd start a new topic specifically about potential killer apps for the raspberrypi. I know individual apps have been mentioned else where in the forum, but there doesn't seem to be a central topic about them.

I've got some favourites (things I already use my main X86 server for),but what are yours?

XBMC - Is this the number one killer app?

LAMP Server

VOIP Server (Asterisk?)

NAS Server

nomachine nxclient

Feel free to add to this list if you'd like to.


MPD server? I plan to use my first pi to run my home speaker system

Return to “General discussion”