GAP

Re: Move Pi home from SD card to a HDD

Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:59 am

LTolledo wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:57 pm
GAP wrote: I have a USB stick but the pi will not mount it pi is looking for EXT4 format and the stick is in NTFS.
I have tried FAT32 as well.
When I look at the disk it has a "boot" partition (SanDisk Cruzer Switch) as it is the only one I have at present I cannot use copier to put it on it.

This is the error I am getting.
"Error mounting system-managed device /dev/sdb2: Command-line `mount "/"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb2,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error"

Funny thing was that it worked yesterday with files on it but this morning with it empty it won't, I put a file on it and still won't work.
Would it be OK for me to remove the boot partition on it or just get another one?.
That's odd....

This is what I just did right now (am using the HDDPi system I installed yesterday)

1. Popped a 16GB USB stick in win10 pc
2. Deleted all partitions on the USB stick. So now I have an unformatted USB stick
3. Plugged the unformatted 16GB USB stick to an already running RPi3B+ (HDDPi)
4. Selected SD Card Copier in the menu items (Accessories -- SD Card Copier)
5. In the SD Card Copier window Copy From Device [HDD], Copy to Device [USB Stick]
6. Did not check the [ ] New Partition UUID
7. Click on [Start] button

Even though the USB stick is unformatted, the SD card copier proceeded with the cloning process.
Inserting a FAT32 or NTFS formatted USB disk will work the same. Stretch will just pop up a window "Removable medium is inserted"
SD Card Copier will format the device to accommodate the cloned system.

Then I shut down RPi3B+, removed USB power and USB cable for USB HDD. (Now I only have the USB stick and the keyboard/mouse dongle connected to the USB ports)
Powered up the RPi3B+ and let it boot... and it booted successfully on the cloned USB stick

Could it be that you did not remove the original system from which the system was cloned from?
Well I actually tried this, the original HDD and the cloned USB stick both plugged to the USB port. RPi3B+ booted from USB stick.

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    1  14.5G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    1  43.2M  0 part /boot
└─sda2   8:2    1  14.4G  0 part /
sdb      8:16   0 232.9G  0 disk 
├─sdb1   8:17   0  43.2M  0 part 
└─sdb2   8:18   0 232.9G  0 part 
Even odder is that the pi has just done the same thing to a brand new USB stick.

I formatted it to FAT32 on the XP machine and I got an "operation cancelled" message when I plugged it back into the Pi and now it will not automount, it did prior to me trying to copy the SD card.

The copy is stopping halfway and goes nowhere, when I cancel it the USB stick becomes unusable on the Pi. I have no idea what is going on.

LTolledo

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:42 am

I've just rebooted my HDDPi from HDD

then plugged the cloned USB stick to the USB port

"Operation was cancelled" error window appeared

running the command below shows

NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 232.9G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0  43.2M  0 part /boot
└─sda2   8:2    0 232.9G  0 part /
sdb      8:16   1  14.5G  0 disk 
├─sdb1   8:17   1  43.2M  0 part /boot
└─sdb2   8:18   1  14.4G  0 part /
then I shutdown RPi3B+, removed the power and HDD and leave the cloned USB stick plugged in
returned power and booted up the RPi3B+... it booted from USB Stick.

NAME   MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    1 14.5G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    1 43.2M  0 part /boot
└─sda2   8:2    1 14.4G  0 part /
I suggest you clone again to USB Stick... it really takes time, specially when doing the 2nd partition. Just let it finish. Mine took about 20 minutes (I think)

Or we skip cloning process and install Raspbian Stretch directly to USB (stick or HDD)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

LTolledo

Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:01 am

Well, just to continue and reproduce the errors you encountered...

Shutdown the RPi3B+, removed power and unplugged the USB stick. Inserted the HDD back to USB port
returned the power and booted the RPi3B+ from HDD... it booted

Meanwhile...
Plugged the 16GB USB stick to Win10PC and formatted it to FAT32.

Plugged the FAT32 formatted 16GB USB stick back to RPi3B+

Error window appeared
Error mounting system-managed device /dev/sdb2: Command-line `mount "/"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb2,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so.
Run SD Card Copier again
Selected HDD as source, cannot select USB stick as destination

so I removed the USB stick again
plugging it back to Win10 seems that I only formatted the boot partition, not the whole USB stick

Now I used SD Card Formatter to format the whole USB stick to FAT32

Plugged it back again to RPi3B+, this time the USB stick is recognized, as the "Removable medium is inserted" window appeared

Again ran SD Card Copier
selected HDD as source, USB stick as destination, no check on New Partition UUIDs, and clicked on Start.

Cloning process proceeded....
Cloning completed ....took longer than I thought...about under 40 minutes....

RPi3B+ successfully booted (again) from the cloned USB stick....

Some people be like:

GAP

Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:30 am

I used mini tool partition to wipe the partitions then format as Fat32.
I get either nothing at all or if the usb is seen but get "cannot mount partition from SD copier".

Is there a way to copy my SD card to the USB stick using Win 10?

Ernst

Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:55 am

GAP wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:30 am
Is there a way to copy my SD card to the USB stick using Win 10?
Win32DiskImager: first make an image of the original SD card, then write the image to the USB stick.
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

LTolledo

Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:25 am

Can you try directly flashing the USB stick with 2018-06-27-raspbian-stretch image and boot from it?

Some people be like:

GAP

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:56 am

OK after Pi had a little sleep overnight and I used Mini Partition tool to allocate a partition on the USB pendrive with no format (unallocated) I plugged it into Pi and I have copied the SD card onto a pendrive successfully and Pi now boots from it.

I put another copy on another pendrive just in case, after much mucking around with partitions (kept getting "cannot mount partition" errors) but after doing the same as the first pendrive format "unallocated" it copied OK.

I did have the screen saver running and that wiped the status bar, this is what caused me to think that the copy had failed yesterday but it was going OK (another lesson learned) but watching the CPU activity tonight showed me that the copy was proceeding OK.

Booting Pi off SD card and both pendrives I get "specific directory ' network///smb-root is not valid" errors when I go File Manager/Go/Network/Workgroup or MS Home. This is now an exercise in fault finding as I believe that all copies are the same.

After I find out why the network is only one way( can see PIHDD from XP but cannot see HDD attached to XP), the next question I have to answer is I will be able to copy the SD card onto the HDD and get it to boot from it?

My thinking is that if I put the SD card copy into a partition on the HDD then turn on PI it should find the HDD and boot from it the same as it did from the pendrive.

I have noticed a marked slow down in booting from the pendrives compared to the SD card so if this translates to the HDD I will think about booting from SD and storing data on HDD which was the original idea, back to square one so to speak.

If I muck around in that space I do now have a couple of backups to fall back on in case I mess this up.

In summary getting the SD card copy onto the pendrives was like pulling teeth or herding cats, but that's learning for you. ;)
and am I learning some stuff with this little device.

LTolledo

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:45 pm

GAP wrote: I have noticed a marked slow down in booting from the pendrives compared to the SD card
This is documented in this link
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md

for my setup the USB boot up process is about (i think) 3 to 5 seconds slower than that of microSD. I dont mind the boot up delay as I use the time to get some drinks in the fridge...

I do notice though that the programs/apps run faster in the booted USB pendrive,
and USB pendrives cost cheaper than microSD for the same capacity...
some say USB pendrives are more reliable than microSD...

I'll try having the /boot partition on microSD and the /root partition on the HDD, later in the weekend

Some people be like:

GAP

Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:32 am

GAP wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:14 am
LTolledo wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:38 pm
Am assuming its the same RPi3B+ from the last topic we discussed, and the Raspbian Stretch was installed from an image file, not from NOOBs

The method below might be a considered extreme by others.
Caution! The HDD to be used in this procedure will be erased. Back up your HDD first.

1. On the RPi3B+'s Stretch Desktop, using SD Card Copier... clone your whole current Raspbian Stretch microSD to a HDD/SSD. dont check the new partition UUID
2. On one of your spare small capacity microSD cards (fake ones will work just fine) format it to FAT32
3. Download and copy the bootcode.bin file to the FAT32 formatted microSD card. Dont copy any other file to that microSD card
download link is
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

4. With the power removed from the RPi3B+ remove the Raspbian Stretch microSD card.... save it as a backup
5. Insert the newly formatted FAT32 microSD card with bootcode.bin to the microSD slot
6. Plug in your USB HDD/SSD with the cloned Raspbian Stretch to the RPi3B+'s vacant USB port.
7. Power up the RPi3B+ and let it boot. It may take some time during first boot as it needs to expand the file system area.

So there you have it, you have transferred/moved your system files (/home/pi included of course) to HDD/SSD

Note: I tested this method first before posting the procedure....so I know it works.
I have "flashed' raspbian to an SD card, installed samba and changed the IP address to be the same as the NOOBS SD card and all of it works as advertised.
I copied the SD card to 2 USB sticks and can get Pi to do the same as when it is booted from the SD card albeit a lot slower.
I have backed up the HDD so now I ready to start at step 3.
I have enough copies of raspbian that hopefully if I mess this up I can get back to where I am now.

GAP

Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:51 am

GAP wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:32 am
GAP wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:14 am
LTolledo wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:38 pm
Am assuming its the same RPi3B+ from the last topic we discussed, and the Raspbian Stretch was installed from an image file, not from NOOBs

The method below might be a considered extreme by others.
Caution! The HDD to be used in this procedure will be erased. Back up your HDD first.

1. On the RPi3B+'s Stretch Desktop, using SD Card Copier... clone your whole current Raspbian Stretch microSD to a HDD/SSD. dont check the new partition UUID
2. On one of your spare small capacity microSD cards (fake ones will work just fine) format it to FAT32
3. Download and copy the bootcode.bin file to the FAT32 formatted microSD card. Dont copy any other file to that microSD card
download link is

4. With the power removed from the RPi3B+ remove the Raspbian Stretch microSD card.... save it as a backup
5. Insert the newly formatted FAT32 microSD card with bootcode.bin to the microSD slot
6. Plug in your USB HDD/SSD with the cloned Raspbian Stretch to the RPi3B+'s vacant USB port.
7. Power up the RPi3B+ and let it boot. It may take some time during first boot as it needs to expand the file system area.

So there you have it, you have transferred/moved your system files (/home/pi included of course) to HDD/SSD

Note: I tested this method first before posting the procedure....so I know it works.
I have "flashed' raspbian to an SD card, installed samba and changed the IP address to be the same as the NOOBS SD card and all of it works as advertised.
I copied the SD card to 2 USB sticks and can get Pi when booted from a USB to do the same as when it is booted from the SD card albeit a lot slower.
I have backed up the HDD so now I ready to start at step 3.
Copied 'boot bin' to an SD card as per step 4
I am now at step 5
With regard to step 6 I take it I copy the backed up raspbian on a USB stick to the HDD after formatting it?

LTolledo

Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:32 am

Hi there!

with regards to step 6, the HDD mentioned there is the same HDD that you used in step 1 (cloning the Raspbian Stretch to HDD)

Some people be like:

GAP

Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:47 am

1. On the RPi3B+'s Stretch Desktop, using SD Card Copier... clone your whole current Raspbian Stretch microSD to a HDD/SSD. dont check the new partition UUID - Check
2. On one of your spare small capacity microSD cards (fake ones will work just fine) format it to FAT32 - Check
3. Download and copy the bootcode.bin file to the FAT32 formatted microSD card. Don't copy any other file to that microSD card - Check
download link is

4. With the power removed from the RPi3B+ remove the Raspbian Stretch microSD card.... save it as a backup - Check
5. Insert the newly formatted FAT32 microSD card with bootcode.bin to the microSD slot - Check
6. Plug in your USB HDD/SSD with the cloned Raspbian Stretch to the RPi3B+'s vacant USB port. - Check
7. Power up the RPi3B+ and let it boot. It may take some time during first boot as it needs to expand the file system area. - Check

After 30 minutes waiting the Pi has still not booted, in fact according to the monitor there is no output what so ever(getting "No signal" message. The light on the HDD indicates that it is up and running. Where have I gone wrong?

The HDD is a self powered one and not one that gets it's power from a USB port could that be an issue?

LTolledo

Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:50 am

I encountered this when I powered the RPi and the HDD at the same instant. (see my post Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:22 pm)

try leaving the HDD powered on and remove the power to the RPi
then return the power to RPi and let it boot.

Just the confirm.
the SD card clone source is a Raspbian Stretch image (just 2 partitions) and not a NOOBs installed Raspbian Stretch (5 partitions)
you did not get even the rainbow display

Some people be like:

GAP

Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:13 am

LTolledo wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:50 am
I encountered this when I powered the RPi and the HDD at the same instant. (see my post Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:22 pm)

try leaving the HDD powered on and remove the power to the RPi
then return the power to RPi and let it boot.

Just the confirm.
the SD card clone source is a Raspbian Stretch image (just 2 partitions) and not a NOOBs installed Raspbian Stretch (5 partitions)
you did not get even the rainbow display
Power to the HDD has always been on it just gives no indication of life (light on front comes on) till after Pi goes into boot.

Tried powering up the HDD then powering PI but nothing, no rainbow screen just a blank screen even left it for 15 minutes to see if anything happened to no avail.

NOOBS has been consigned to the backup bin and I am using a copy of Raspbian flashed to the SD card using "ETCHER" 2 partitions.

I think I am looking at a HDD that is asleep till it gets some sort of signal to wake it up and by that time Pi has bypassed it.

What type of HDD was used to get this to work one powered from the USB port?

Do I get a new HDD of the same type?

I understand that Pi 3B can handle a HDD powered from the USB port perhaps that could be an option.

I have found this https://www.maketecheasier.com/boot-up- ... hard-disk/ and it seems to suit my purpose opinions please.

LTolledo

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:00 am

The 3.5" 250GB HDD I used was also in a self powered (12V) HDD case and connected directly to one of the vacant the USB port.
When a used a bus powered 2.5" HDD, I get the lightning bolt and the red LED flashes while booting. Some say that is not a good thing (it might damage the RPi) so I opted for the self powered one instead.

With regards to the procedure in the link, I think the procedure is still applicable for Etcher/Win32DiskImager installed Raspbian Stretch
please give it a try and do report back.

Hope you do get it up and running soon!

Edit: I might give the procedure a try if you are faced with some hurdles along the way....

PS1: Before doing the procedure in the link, and as you are already using a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+, can you try flashing the latest Raspbian Stretch directly to your Western Digital HDD and boot from it. Dont insert any microSD card in the microSD slot
Of course you have to turn on the HDD first before booting the RPi3B+.

Some people be like:

GAP

Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:32 am

LTolledo wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:00 am
The 3.5" 250GB HDD I used was also in a self powered (12V) HDD case and connected directly to one of the vacant the USB port.
When a used a bus powered 2.5" HDD, I get the lightning bolt and the red LED flashes while booting. Some say that is not a good thing (it might damage the RPi) so I opted for the self powered one instead.

With regards to the procedure in the link, I think the procedure is still applicable for Etcher/Win32DiskImager installed Raspbian Stretch
please give it a try and do report back.

Hope you do get it up and running soon!

Edit: I might give the procedure a try if you are faced with some hurdles along the way....

PS1: Before doing the procedure in the link, and as you are already using a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+, can you try flashing the latest Raspbian Stretch directly to your Western Digital HDD and boot from it. Dont insert any microSD card in the microSD slot
Of course you have to turn on the HDD first before booting the RPi3B+.
Will try the the Raspbian on the HDD when time allows.

I have been looking at the net and came across these threads.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... bootmodes/
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=209416

Google "No bootcode.bin only USB boot on new 3B+ ? - Raspberry Pi Forums"

As I have a Pi 3b+ maybe I have fallen into this trap.

Thoughts anyone?

GAP

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:03 am

I have tried both procedures and now I have a HDD that pi will not see and I am right back to where I started when I first got my pi. I really do not know what happened there.

What I ideally want to do is;

1. Have my HDD mount automatically when I turn pi on

2. move my desktop and document folder to the HDD so that anything saved to desktop or documents is on the HDD and not SD card.

Looks like another exercise in herding cats or pulling teeth is about to start, at least the samba part is still working..

LTolledo

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:07 am

You might want to try read this

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=220092

and check the comments by procount

Some people be like:

GAP

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:06 am

LTolledo wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:07 am
You might want to try read this

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=220092

and check the comments by procount
Way over my head sorry, didn't understand any of that.

GAP

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:12 am

@ LTolledo

Right took a deep breath and stepped back to consider my issue.

I have come to the conclusion that the main culprit of my problems is the HDD, it is an early version external old brick like Western Digital one and it is just not compatible.

I have a couple of suggested replacements that are working for others that I will have to investigate including using a SSD.

If I get a working HDD I will use the suggested method (suggested by heaps of others).

GAP

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:13 am

GAP wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:12 am
@ LTolledo

Right took a deep breath and stepped back to consider my issue.

I have come to the conclusion that the main culprit of my problems is the HDD, it is an early version external old brick like Western Digital one and it is just not compatible and more than likely the SD card I am using will get a new one.

I have a couple of suggested HDD replacements that are working for others that I will have to investigate including using a SSD.

WhenI get a working HDD I will use the suggested method (suggested by heaps of others).

LTolledo

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:35 am

Sorry to read about that...

I too have an old Western Digital USB HDD (WD1200U017-001), its 120GB, pre-SATA, so it makes it a PATA interface, and confirmed as PATA using CrystalDiskInfo in a win10pc.

Might try later to set it up as RPi3B+ boot drive to see if it works....

Just an update.... it didnt work. The WD1200U017-001 drive did not boot

configurations used
  • RPi3B+, WD1200U017-001
    RPi3B+, bootcode.bin on microSD card, WD1200U017-001

RPi3B, WD1200U017-001
    RPi3B, bootcode.bin on microSD card, WD1200U017-001

Can I conclude that 2.5" PATA drives dont work with RPi3B+/RPi3B ?

Some people be like:

grininmonkey

Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:41 am

I tried several times following the steps described here and slightly different steps from other blogs etc... and for whatever reason each approach left me staring at several raspberries waiting and waiting till pigs fly...... then I tired the Adafruit script ... which did not exactly work, but was easily fixed.

https://learn.adafruit.com/external-dri ... ying-slash

I had no errors, no warnings etc... the script finished with last message saying please reboot.... I did, however I was still booting to SD, so I manually updated the cmdline.txt and fstab on external... everything is now working correctly. I assume there was simply an error updating those items that was not echoed.

That script/process leaves your original SD as is with the exception of the modified cmdline.txt and the /boot volume is the only one mounted at startup.

Seems to be working pretty well, I can not tell a difference really, but I only messed with this from the perspective of having a real HDD which I just feel more comfortable with keeping my database and project files alive in the closet for a long while... just don't have the same trust in the micro SD card ;)

GAP

Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:44 pm

grininmonkey wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:41 am
I tried several times following the steps described here and slightly different steps from other blogs etc... and for whatever reason each approach left me staring at several raspberries waiting and waiting till pigs fly...... then I tired the Adafruit script ... which did not exactly work, but was easily fixed.

https://learn.adafruit.com/external-dri ... ying-slash

I had no errors, no warnings etc... the script finished with last message saying please reboot.... I did, however I was still booting to SD, so I manually updated the cmdline.txt and fstab on external... everything is now working correctly. I assume there was simply an error updating those items that was not echoed.

That script/process leaves your original SD as is with the exception of the modified cmdline.txt and the /boot volume is the only one mounted at startup.

Seems to be working pretty well, I can not tell a difference really, but I only messed with this from the perspective of having a real HDD which I just feel more comfortable with keeping my database and project files alive in the closet for a long while... just don't have the same trust in the micro SD card ;)
I have had a look at the adafruit script but being new to this I am hesitant to follow it asI have just got back to a point where I can share my HDD across a network again after trying to get my pi to boot from the HDD I have.

What I would like to do is move my Desktop and documents folder to the HDD in the file tree and leave everything else where it is.
Th idea being that my desktop and documents are written to the HDD thus avoiding the possible loss if the ED card fails.

I do have a suggestion on how to do this but I will need more detail before I try it again because of my lack of confidence.

Been looking around the net and have found the mv command but I am not confident that will do what I want.

ejolson

Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:19 am

GAP wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:44 pm
Been looking around the net and have found the mv command but I am not confident that will do what I want.
Are you going to try the method I suggested earlier?

While the original mv command that appeared in Unix was more limited, the GNU mv command in Linux does a pretty good job of moving entire directories and their contents from one disk to another. However, if you have more than a gigabyte or two of files, then you may want to use rsync or even tar to copy the files.

Return to “General discussion”