DougieLawson

Re: We're looking at introducing more swag - what would you like to see?

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:05 am

I've never been to Uni (other than to visit my twin when he was at Newcastle). I'd guess a bottle opener is an essential piece of kit when the Student's Union bar is closed.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

Zebu

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:59 am

nobbit wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:03 pm
Small stickers with "Raspberry Pi inside" or "Powered by Raspberry Pi", similar to those computers with Intel chips have, for all the embedded projects out there.
I would like this, perhaps more in the theme of the silver case badge style stickers you see if you google "powered by debian" than mimicking the Intel one. Silver with the the raspberry logo or some such would look quite nice on desktops, media players and retropie boxes across the offices and lounge rooms of the world.

JamesPi123

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:04 am

A small case that fits the Pi + Cables + Power Supply for when you need to take the pi with you

PlanetPi

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:53 am

liz,

some swag i would personally love to see:
---------

piWriter OS

A simplified raspbian for writers, journalists and authors. Trust me, there is a huge demand for inexpensive typerwriter alternatives as evidenced by the sale of "distraction free" writing apps for OS X and windows. It might be a pi with a preinstalled raspbian version that includes just a few apps like 'FocusWriter,' 'Pyroom,' the dictionary 'Artha' (with the 'insane' sized version of the english dictionary.) and perhaps the 'links2' webbrowser for a fast and frugal web 1.0, text-driven, online experience.

There have been several commercial linux-driven projects to bring a simple word processor to market, but these have been in the $700 or so range for closed systems that cannot do half what the pi does. And, i suspect they lack the flexibility and expandability the pi does - let alone offer the Pi's vast community support.

Yes, there are free online alternatives. But not every writer (or especially journalist in a hostile land) wants to be kludged to a web office suite or be tethered to a proprietary platform known to track their every keystroke or online search. Add a big "offline" button on deskop! Then, give them a few buttons to switch screen and text color and margins for their plain-text or rtf creations....and another big backup to flashdrive button.

While such a project is not strictly programming-education oriented, it does mesh with the education market, which needs affordable tools for writing and language classes. Public libraries would want such a pi by the dozen. A PiWriter is a narrow-use project, but might have very broad appeal.

Sure, a linux novice could take standard pi and create such a tool in minutes. But the tech-illiterate writer (teacher, student, librarian or professional author) cannot. With pre-installed writing tools, a piWriter would fill this gap and provide an additional on-ramp to computer education. Some might use it as a pure text processing machine (a $35, one!), but assuredly a certain percent of users could make a jump to computer learning with a pi already in use on their desk.

This can just be a modified version of raspbian available via noobs. Or sold on SD card (or USB flash) to raise money for the foundation.

-----

and official 3.5 inch screen.

There are plenty of GPIO-mountable screens on the market for the pi. But how about one that works out the box? (and keeps working after software updates) Pimoroni or Adafruit might be a supplier... Yes, the 7-inch official screen rocks. But there are definitely folks and project makers who need portability. Bonus incentives might be an onboard SD card for backups, a tiny speaker or software templates for pygame menus that help neophytes construct simple grahical or ncurses menus to drive their projects. Comes with a "lid" that can be used with the official Pi Case.

--------

Lora Radio piBeacons.

How about a Lora-radio add-on that allows non-internet connected devices to share data and collaborate at a distance? (Even with meterological balloons and distant amateur weather stations). Sure there are local radio regulations based on geopgraphy, but this tech is getting cheaper.

---------

Raspberry pi stickers.

Let us have stickers of different colors to personalize, decorate, and more easily identify our various Pi's. A pack of 12? Small enough to adorn the tops of existing Pi-case lids, please.

----------

A Pizero preconfigured as a usb device of some kind. Not sure what kind, but I am sure others may have some creative ideas.....

-----

Limited edition Pi's in funky colors. May not be practical, but could be auctioned or sold at high prices for education fund raising. Proto-pies....seasonally baked....

-----
an official e-paper screen! yes, a pi-reader! i want two. may not be pracitcal based on price
, but i still want one. errr, two.

----

an official thermal printer with accompanying software support. okay, maybe DIY is better. But still, cool.

-----

Any coffee or tea-related items. Mugs and flagon-sized, please.

----
Tins and zipper cases for holding USB and Sd cards.

-----
Wearables:
Maybe a recharagable pi-powering USB scarf? (ala' Dr. Who).
A solar-powered pi-zero hat? (fedora or baseball) (Dare i wish for an LCD? A hat-top Pi,
OTG!!!!
A car-battery lighter Pi charger?
Pi-fi Shoes? (charged by walking).
A women's usb-flash drive set of nail tips with stretch preinstalled.

----
A custom round-haped pi board because spheres are the next big thing!...wires and mounts on the bottom to make a mushroom-shaped case for this critter. much cooler than an apple watch, if we can get a tiny round screen. A piPocket-watch computer, anyone? eureka! lol

-----

An official waterproof Pi case for outdoor use. Slightly enlarged to allow for extra batteries and plug-in components and with an external ring so the Pi can be hung from a hook, wire, nail or jungle vine.

-----
Thanks for taking the time to read such madness!
My apologies for poor English. My native language is ancient Greek.

PlanetPi

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:18 am

two other quick swag ideas:

1) a Raspberry pi zero belt buckle. Why? Never lose your pi again. (maybe just a clip, if that is more practical)

Or maybe even a raspberry pi belt that can hold batteries and usb wires for charging. SSH into your Pibelt, anytime anywhere. Elastic for all sizes - men and women. A full size clip for 3b+ on side?

2) a nuatical Pi case shaped like a boat or buoy...waterproof housing for work in the high seas or your backyward pool. Bottom is transparent so you can add official piCamera and lights to see into the depths. Maybe an empty slot for the amitious to add an external motor to make it remote control or follow a pre-set path of coordinates - AI on the high seas.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:45 am

I suspect that requests for software enhancements, new HW etc are not really what Liz is looking for (although sensible ideas nevertheless). Swag is stuff we sell in the swag store, not things like camera modules, or custom OS's.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

piglet

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:09 am

How about a soft raspberry pi rainbow unicorn? ...they come up every time someone mentions Pi 4+ so would be nice to be able to buy one.

davidcoton

Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:52 pm

piglet wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:09 am
How about a soft raspberry pi rainbow unicorn? ...they come up every time someone mentions Pi 4+ so would be nice to be able to buy one.
+1
"Thanks for saving my life." See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1327656#p1327656
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”

piglet

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:19 pm

T shirts less garish, with logo not central but to the left; possibly more likely to appeal to the less extrovert, which to be honest is probably more the market here!

Burngate

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:16 pm

I've no idea whether it could be done, or if it can, whether it could be sold on-line, though it would work well at Jams ...

Go to almost any down-market tourist trap (New Brighton springs to mind, but Blackpool or Llandudno are similar) and you can buy sticks of rock with the resort name through the middle. (Knew a guy whose Dad worked at the Tower grounds before it burnt down. Watched the stuff being made)

So could the RPI symbol be treated similarly?

paulie

Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:22 pm

jamesh wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:48 am
ejolson wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:30 pm
Burngate wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:16 am
There's a guy somewhere on the forum asking if he should get his son a Pi for going to uni. He's going to need a key-ring, isn't he?
Giving your son a bottle opener for the university may send the wrong message. I think an official Pi heatsink shaped into the Raspberry logo (along with a 3B+ to install it on) would be more appropriate.
Wrong message? Have ever been to a university?
"A University is a fountain of knowledge, where everyone goes to drink"
It has been my custom to use Xeyes

Imperf3kt

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:24 am

Well, as your science teacher will tell you, alcohol is a solution, after all :twisted:

So far I really like the powered by Raspberry Pi sticker idea (we could always print them ourself, but...) and the GPIO printed uSD card storage and the bottle opener keyring seems popular with the older Pi enthusiasts.

What about Raspberry Pi iPhone cases? They're produced by the millions and most end up in landfill, but they seem popular.
User experiencing technical difficulties.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:58 am

PlanetPi wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:53 am
and official 3.5 inch screen.
I think that gets out of the "swag" category and into the actual product category. But since you brought it up...I'd like to see an official RPF 10" screen.
There are plenty of GPIO-mountable screens on the market for the pi. But how about one that works out the box? (and keeps working after software updates) Pimoroni or Adafruit might be a supplier...
The Neosec 3.5" displays I use work with minimal system config setup. Basically, a dtoverlay and such. I have no trouble updating the systems without "breaking" them. Indeed, I did a Jessie to Stretch in-place update to one with no issues.
A Pizero preconfigured as a usb device of some kind. Not sure what kind, but I am sure others may have some creative ideas.....
Again, not really swag. That's just a system image with whatever config you want. I don't see the RPF doing a special image for each and every possible config someone wants. That's a user issue to sort out.
Any coffee or tea-related items. Mugs and flagon-sized, please.
That's "swag", and--indeed--mugs have been offered.
A car-battery lighter Pi charger?
Again...not swag, but product. A 12v input PSU isn't a bad idea for a product, but I'n dubious that there is enough of a market to make it worthwhile.

Return to “General discussion”