msharp
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:18 pm

UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+ [solved]

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:21 pm

I am looking for the following regulatory pieces of information regarding the Raspberry Pi 3B+:

1) A Flame Rating and/or relevant flammability documentation
2) A UL certification, UL File Number and Name filed under.

The issue is our client is requiring us to use the Raspberry Pi 3B+ in our product as a key component. They are also requiring us to have our product certified by UL for regulatory reasons. We are being asked to show that Raspberry Pi 3B+ is UL certified and its flammability rating as well.

I already tried to find the information on this forum and couldn't find it. I also went to the major suppliers, including Farnell/Element14/Newark and I was redirected back here by customer support to obtain the information. I was also unable to find the information on Raspberry Pi site and the regulatory page.

This has since been solved.
Last edited by msharp on Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The Traveler
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:48 pm

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:44 pm

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... formity.md and
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... programme/

To the best of my knowledge, none of the RPi devices UL certified. CE/FCC is mandatory. UL is voluntary.
The issue is our client is requiring us to use the Raspberry Pi 3B+ in our product as a key component.
You may wish to discuss this requirement with your client. The CM series which has more stringent certifications for industrial use but I still don't believe UL is one of them.
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

msharp
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+

Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:47 pm

The Traveler wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:44 pm
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... formity.md and
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... programme/

To the best of my knowledge, none of the RPi devices UL certified. CE/FCC is mandatory. UL is voluntary.
The issue is our client is requiring us to use the Raspberry Pi 3B+ in our product as a key component.
You may wish to discuss this requirement with your client. The CM series which has more stringent certifications for industrial use but I still don't believe UL is one of them.
Thank you.
I've already reviewed those links and they lack the necessary information

I've passed along the information to my boss.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 20917
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+

Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:32 am

I've passed your question on to our engineering team. I seem to remember something coming up about this before, but I cannot remember what the answer is!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

msharp
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:05 pm

jamesh wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:32 am
I've passed your question on to our engineering team. I seem to remember something coming up about this before, but I cannot remember what the answer is!
Thank you.

If there is something that would be of great help.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 20917
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:59 am

The PCB's used in Raspberry Pi devices adhere to UL94-V0, but note that is the PCB ONLY.

We have no other UL ratings and are unlikely to be trying to get any in the future. Note, I believe UL is an entirely voluntary scheme, not a regulatory requirement - we do adhere to all the regulatory requirements.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

msharp
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:28 pm

jamesh wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:59 am
The PCB's used in Raspberry Pi devices adhere to UL94-V0, but note that is the PCB ONLY.

We have no other UL ratings and are unlikely to be trying to get any in the future. Note, I believe UL is an entirely voluntary scheme, not a regulatory requirement - we do adhere to all the regulatory requirements.
Thank you for the response.

UL is voluntary, but it essentially has become a requirement for engineering, healthcare, industrial, manufacturing and other industries here in the U.S. and to a degree in the rest of North America.

hippy
Posts: 4020
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:56 pm

msharp wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:28 pm
UL is voluntary, but it essentially has become a requirement for engineering, healthcare, industrial, manufacturing and other industries here in the U.S. and to a degree in the rest of North America.
Maybe one of those companies could put a Pi through the UL process and report back on the results. I guess they are going to have to do that anyway if choosing a Pi and it is deemed a requirement.

msharp
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:12 pm

hippy wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:56 pm
msharp wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:28 pm
UL is voluntary, but it essentially has become a requirement for engineering, healthcare, industrial, manufacturing and other industries here in the U.S. and to a degree in the rest of North America.
Maybe one of those companies could put a Pi through the UL process and report back on the results. I guess they are going to have to do that anyway if choosing a Pi and it is deemed a requirement.
I hope so.

I passed along the information to my boss, I hope it's received well when presented.

Paul Hutch
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:58 pm
Location: Blackstone River Valley, MA, USA

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+

Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:32 pm

When getting a quote be aware that there are alternatives to using UL. You can often save a good amount of money using one of the other Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTLs). OSHA has a complete list at: https://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/nrtllist.html

I'm partial to Curtis-Straus LLC since they are local to me and I've been using them for FCC compliance testing since 1985 (Back then they where named Dash, Straus & Goodhue, Jon Curtis ran the day to day engineering at the time). Very knowledgeable engineers, technicians and sales people at Curtis-Straus.

msharp
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+

Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:07 pm

Paul Hutch wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:32 pm
When getting a quote be aware that there are alternatives to using UL. You can often save a good amount of money using one of the other Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTLs). OSHA has a complete list at: https://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/nrtllist.html

I'm partial to Curtis-Straus LLC since they are local to me and I've been using them for FCC compliance testing since 1985 (Back then they where named Dash, Straus & Goodhue, Jon Curtis ran the day to day engineering at the time). Very knowledgeable engineers, technicians and sales people at Curtis-Straus.
Thank you, but we have to use a certified UL Test House.

Our client explicitly wants it to be UL certified with the UL stamp.
Industries typically want the UL stamp and certification (I'm not sure why).

Heater
Posts: 10247
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+

Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:49 pm

What is this UL rating about?

Is it about how well a thing resists burning if there is a fire?

Or is it about how likely it is to start a fire in the first place?

If the latter, I would not worry about the Pi so much as the SD card it carries.

One long running Pi I had eventually stopped after many months. The SD card was hot enough to actually emit smoke and could well have ignited something nearby.

With a new SD card in place all was fine again.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 9219
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+

Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:11 pm

Heater wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:49 pm
What is this UL rating about?
Underwriters Laboratory. Closely related to the insurance industry and originally used to answer the question, "How mush risk is there if I write insurance that covers that object?' The use has spread to be a general "this has been tested for various things you might be concerned about in addition to fire safety".

My reaction to the thread title has been, 'well, at least we know the PCB isn't made from cellulous trinitrate'.

msharp
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+

Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:24 pm

I think this thread has lived it's purpose.
Thanks for all the help

How do we close/lock this thread?

DirkS
Posts: 9478
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+

Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:27 pm

msharp wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:24 pm
I think this thread has lived it's purpose.
Thanks for all the help

How do we close/lock this thread?
Add '[Solved]' to the top post title
If you want to have it locked you have to ping a mod: use the 'report' button / link to report the topic

msharp
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+

Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:51 pm

Thank you.

mosespi
Posts: 508
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 3:35 pm
Location: 34,-118
Contact: Website

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+ [solved]

Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:40 pm

Here is another posting with some more information: viewtopic.php?t=215444
Power problems? MoPower UPS for the Pi
http://www.allspectrum.com/mopower/

msharp
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+ [solved]

Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:08 pm

mosespi wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:40 pm
Here is another posting with some more information: viewtopic.php?t=215444
Thanks for the link.

Sadly that to is missing the required documentation and information.

The UL certification for our product hopefully is enough when that day comes.

Paul Hutch
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:58 pm
Location: Blackstone River Valley, MA, USA

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:27 pm

msharp wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:07 pm
Our client explicitly wants it to be UL certified with the UL stamp.
Industries typically want the UL stamp and certification (I'm not sure why).
Ignorance and failing to keep up with US regulatory changes over the past 30 years. UL was the only place to go for many of the tests until the end of the 20th century when OSHA and all other regulatory agencies changed to simply requiring a NRTL instead of specifying UL. I've hit this myself where a customer demands UL and is willing to pay the extra money to get nothing better, and sometime less, than what the other NRTLs provide. It's like the person who won't buy generic cotton swabs they must be Q-Tip brand.

gkaiseril
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:27 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+ [solved]

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:28 pm

Factory Mutual, a global property insurnce company, provides enginering services as part of its insurance services. It has certified flashlights for use in explosive environments. You might see if they have any material on computers and fire risks.

msharp
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Re: UL and Flammability rating for Raspberry Pi 3B+ [solved]

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:45 pm

gkaiseril wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:28 pm
Factory Mutual, a global property insurnce company, provides enginering services as part of its insurance services. It has certified flashlights for use in explosive environments. You might see if they have any material on computers and fire risks.
Thanks.

Return to “General discussion”