hippy

Re: Proposal: Raspberry Pi Zero W with 2GB / 4GB embedded

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:11 pm

jamesh wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:43 am
Might be cost effective if we sold a million units, but I doubt that level of sales.
But you always seem to under-estimate the potential of Pi sales. I think you are probably looking at it from a different perspective than others do, can't see the advantages they do, perhaps can't imagine you would ever want such a thing so cannot believe others would.

If the RPF did have a cut-down Zero W in a TV stick format using eMMC as suggested above I would expect a million and more sales if you could bring it to market around $10.

The real problem wouldn't be cost effectiveness or popularity but, as with the $5 Zero, even the $10 Zero W; being able to produce them without impacting on other lines, being able to produce enough to meet initial demand, under-estimating what demand would be.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:42 pm

hippy wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:11 pm
jamesh wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:43 am
Might be cost effective if we sold a million units, but I doubt that level of sales.
But you always seem to under-estimate the potential of Pi sales. I think you are probably looking at it from a different perspective than others do, can't see the advantages they do, perhaps can't imagine you would ever want such a thing so cannot believe others would.

If the RPF did have a cut-down Zero W in a TV stick format using eMMC as suggested above I would expect a million and more sales if you could bring it to market around $10.

The real problem wouldn't be cost effectiveness or popularity but, as with the $5 Zero, even the $10 Zero W; being able to produce them without impacting on other lines, being able to produce enough to meet initial demand, under-estimating what demand would be.
It may look like we underestimate demand but you are not privy to internal figures and plans, so you cannot make that statement.

So, we've sold 20M devices, almost of which have USB, HDMI connectors and run from SD cards.

Are you saying we could sell a million ZeroW with flash, but no SD card, HDMI or USB? They would have to be at least $15 as well. I just don't see it. Has anyone else with a similar product sold a million units?

But as I said, we don't have the engineering capacity to do anything more than we are currently doing. No point in scalping time and sales from product that will clearly be more profitable than a flash equipped Zero.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

hippy

Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:16 pm

jamesh wrote:
It may look like we underestimate demand but you are not privy to internal figures and plans, so you cannot make that statement.
I think I can; it's an entirely factual claim. The evidence is pretty clear that predicted sales have been under-estimated in the past. Whatever metric is being used delivers a prediction which falls far short of what reality delivers.

How much more wrong can anyone be than "We thought we'd sell 10,000" ?
jamesh wrote:
Are you saying we could sell a million ZeroW with flash, but no SD card, HDMI or USB?
No, I never said that.

I predicted you would sell a million plus cut-down Pi Zero W's in TV Stick format which had full-size HDMI at one end, USB at the other, using eMMC if brought to market at around $10.
jamesh wrote:
I just don't see it.
That's patently clear and fair enough. We are all entitled to our opinions.
jamesh wrote:
Has anyone else with a similar product sold a million units?
Most TV sticks come in that format. I have no idea how many sales of those there have been. There have apparently been over 50 million Chromecasts sold.

But whether something will sell, be profitable, or worthwhile, doesn't depend on whether anyone else has done it previously, nor how well they fared if they did.

jamesh

Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:34 pm

Whatever. It's just another "I want this feature thread anyway", it's lasted longer than it should have. But its time to die is now as I really have lost to will to take part.

We have our plans (for the next 5 years in fact). This isn't in it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “General discussion”