andrum99

Samba performance has got worse for no obvious reason

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:34 pm

I use one of my Raspberry Pi's as a NAS, storing backup copies of some files on two USB hard discs. Today I tried syncing one of the directories that I back up to the Pi, and noticed the speed of transfer across the network has dropped. I used to get around 100Mbps, but now the speed has dropped to about 30Mbps. It does sometimes start at the higher speed, but then drops back. Does anyone have any ideas? The only thing I can think of that has changed recently is the new kernel and firmware that were released along with the new version of Rasbian. I did also lightly vacuum the Pi and its surroundings today, so it is possible I knocked something. I did shut down the Pi, then disconnected and reconnected all of the connections and tried again, and the Pi is still showing the same slowdown, so it's probably not that. Any suggestions would be welcome. As a first step, to rule out the new kernel and firmware, can someone tell me how to roll them back to the previous version?

ejolson

Re: Samba performance has got worse for no obvious reason

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:57 am

andrum99 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:34 pm
As a first step, to rule out the new kernel and firmware, can someone tell me how to roll them back to the previous version?
Rolling back to a previous version sounds like a really good idea to help diagnose the problem. I also wonder how to do that. It looks like downloads of older images are available at

https://downloads.raspberrypi.org

andrum99

Re: Samba performance has got worse for no obvious reason

Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:51 pm

Seems to be back to normal now - not sure what happened. It may or may not be down to the new kernel that was issued today, which I have installed.

Return to “General discussion”