lukescott
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:36 am

Cooling w/ Razberry daughter board?

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:52 am

I've been using the Razberry successfully for a while now. I have it in the official Raspberry case and it fits well inside. I have noticed quite a bit of heat build-up. So I'm looking for a better case to keep it cool.

The issues I have are:

  • Cases like this position the fan above the cpu, getting in the way of the daughter board. The Razberry takes up both 5v pins (2x5).
  • Passive cooling cases have a metal block that comes down from the top. Daughter board is in the way.
  • If I found a case that can fit a fan, I'm not sure how to power it.
This seems like a good option: https://www.amazon.com/ZHUOTOP-Ultra-th ... B07DXQ98M6 - but then the daughter board is exposed.

Anyone know of any good cases for my use-case?

LTolledo
Posts: 729
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 am

Re: Cooling w/ Razberry daughter board?

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:20 pm

I'll assume its not an "issue" but a "problem" instead

Am using a case with fan similar to the one in the link you provided so this is what I did

1. to provide power for the fan, I soldered a connector on the 5V and GND pins on the underside of the GPIO.
2. assembled the case, routed the 5V-GNDpower connector to topside, connected the fan to the 5V-GND connector
3. to install the HAT (daughter board as you call it) I placed a 10mm header extension on the GPIO
4. attached/plugged the HAT on the header extension
5. installed spacer between the case and the HAT for stability.
6. installed custom cover for the HAT

If you are not confident in your soldering skills, then this "solution to the problem" may not be for you.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

User avatar
davidcoton
Posts: 3194
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:37 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Cooling w/ Razberry daughter board?

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:50 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:20 pm
3. to install the HAT (daughter board as you call it) I placed a 10mm header extension on the GPIO
It is not a HAT. It does not conform to HAT specified dimensions, and AFAICT it does not include an EPROM for configuring the Pi drivers.
The website refers to it as a daughter board, or even a shield.
"Thanks for saving my life." See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1327656#p1327656
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”

LTolledo
Posts: 729
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 am

Re: Cooling w/ Razberry daughter board?

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:56 pm

mine is an I2S Sound Card HAT from iQaudio, and am referring to my setup, not other's
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

lukescott
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:36 am

Re: Cooling w/ Razberry daughter board?

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:06 pm

I'm not too confident in my soldering skills, nor do I have the proper equipment to do it without screwing something up. My strengths are more on the software side of things.

If I got a header extension, wouldn't that rise the daughter card / HAT off the board more? My problem is the fan is usually mounted at the top of the case and both can't occupy the same space. Currently without any extensions the top of the card is about level with the RPi ports.

I did find a case that had a side-mounted fan, but it was sold out. I haven't had much luck finding another one (the other's are top-mounted). Even so, I still need to power the fan, which I was hoping to find a solderless solution. That case was also metal and I am unsure how it would affect the Z-Wave signal.

For now I'll get a case with vents and add some heatsinks. That will have to be a temporary solution until I can come up with something more permanent.

alphanumeric
Posts: 1537
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:17 pm
Location: Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Cooling w/ Razberry daughter board?

Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:11 am

I drilled cooling holes in my Official Pi 3B case. Mine is only used as a media center, no Hat etc attached. I debated just leaving the top case cover off but went with cooling holes instead.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjOYwiwlwDtpgq9j1xsb6fWYloWvTA

lukescott
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:36 am

Re: Cooling w/ Razberry daughter board?

Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:45 pm

I drilled cooling holes in my Official Pi 3B case. Mine is only used as a media center, no Hat etc attached. I debated just leaving the top case cover off but went with cooling holes instead.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjOYwiwlwDtpgq9j1xsb6fWYloWvTA
That's actually quite clever! I do have a drill, and I could probably do the same. I ended up purchasing the "premium" case on Amazon ($7). But if I get frustrated with that case or get another pi I'll likely do the same! I do actually quite like the official case, despite the lack of vent holes.

alphanumeric
Posts: 1537
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:17 pm
Location: Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Cooling w/ Razberry daughter board?

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:33 pm

lukescott wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:45 pm
I drilled cooling holes in my Official Pi 3B case. Mine is only used as a media center, no Hat etc attached. I debated just leaving the top case cover off but went with cooling holes instead.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjOYwiwlwDtpgq9j1xsb6fWYloWvTA
That's actually quite clever! I do have a drill, and I could probably do the same. I ended up purchasing the "premium" case on Amazon ($7). But if I get frustrated with that case or get another pi I'll likely do the same! I do actually quite like the official case, despite the lack of vent holes.
No ventilation is probably my one big beef with that case. I also like the looks very much. I just taped a sheet of graph paper over it and used that for my hole spacing. I drilled my holes where the lines on the graph paper crossed.

User avatar
Z80 Refugee
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:53 pm

Re: Cooling w/ Razberry daughter board?

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:23 am

From the RaZberry link in post 1:
The RaZberry is a tiny daughter card that sits on top of the Raspberry PI GPIO connector not blocking the USB boards. It is powered by the Raspberry PI board with 3.3V and communicates using TTL signals (RX/TX).
Who writes this nonsense? Certainly not anyone who understands what they are talking about.
Military and Automotive Electronics Design Engineer (retired)

For the best service: make your thread title properly descriptive, and put all relevant details in the first post (including links - don't make us search)!

hippy
Posts: 3906
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Cooling w/ Razberry daughter board?

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:39 am

Z80 Refugee wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:23 am
From the RaZberry link in post 1:
The RaZberry is a tiny daughter card that sits on top of the Raspberry PI GPIO connector not blocking the USB boards. It is powered by the Raspberry PI board with 3.3V and communicates using TTL signals (RX/TX).
Who writes this nonsense? Certainly not anyone who understands what they are talking about.
I bet it's harder to comprehend when written in their native language :P

I dread to think what my efforts look like to non-English speakers when I am providing them with technical support and we are both relying on Google Translate.

Never forget that apparently poor communication and language skills doesn't necessarily mean lack of intelligence, skills or understanding.

User avatar
Z80 Refugee
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:53 pm

Re: Cooling w/ Razberry daughter board?

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:08 am

Sure, but you can't call it TTL unless it is TTL. With a following wind it could be TTL-compatible, but the ~3V Vhi it could output and still be RPi-safe is marginal for a true TTL input.

The bottom line is there is no need to have said "TTL". Loose use of terminology like this misinforms novices, who then carry the wrong impression around in their heads forever.
Military and Automotive Electronics Design Engineer (retired)

For the best service: make your thread title properly descriptive, and put all relevant details in the first post (including links - don't make us search)!

User avatar
mooblie
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:07 pm
Location: The Scottish Highlands

Re: Cooling w/ Razberry daughter board?

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:35 am

lukescott wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:45 pm
I drilled cooling holes in my Official Pi 3B case. Mine is only used as a media center, no Hat etc attached. I debated just leaving the top case cover off but went with cooling holes instead.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjOYwiwlwDtpgq9j1xsb6fWYloWvTA
That's actually quite clever! I do have a drill, and I could probably do the same. I ended up purchasing the "premium" case on Amazon ($7). But if I get frustrated with that case or get another pi I'll likely do the same! I do actually quite like the official case, despite the lack of vent holes.

Call those holes?! THIS is holes: :D

Image

I put this Pi in an old Sky DG934 router case (available at all good car boot fairs for £1) and got to work with my drill press on the helpful moulded grid of indentations on the top and bottom. ("Several hundred" in case you're wondering, but I haven't counted them!)

Unfortunately, no height room inside the case for a HAT or daughterboard, but it does have a biggish (50x30mm) heatsink on the SoC - and NO fan!
Last edited by mooblie on Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alphanumeric
Posts: 1537
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:17 pm
Location: Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Cooling w/ Razberry daughter board?

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:40 am

mooblie wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:35 am
lukescott wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:45 pm
I drilled cooling holes in my Official Pi 3B case. Mine is only used as a media center, no Hat etc attached. I debated just leaving the top case cover off but went with cooling holes instead.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjOYwiwlwDtpgq9j1xsb6fWYloWvTA
That's actually quite clever! I do have a drill, and I could probably do the same. I ended up purchasing the "premium" case on Amazon ($7). But if I get frustrated with that case or get another pi I'll likely do the same! I do actually quite like the official case, despite the lack of vent holes.

Call those holes?! THIS is holes: :D

Image

I put this Pi in an old Sky router case (available at all good car boot fairs for £1) and got to work with my drill press on the helpful moulded grid of indentations on the top and bottom. ("Several hundred" in case you're wondering, but I haven't counted them!)
Looks a lot nicer than what I did. Looks like it came that way actually, really nice job, thumbs up. :D

hippy
Posts: 3906
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Cooling w/ Razberry daughter board?

Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:04 pm

Z80 Refugee wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:08 am
Sure, but you can't call it TTL unless it is TTL. With a following wind it could be TTL-compatible, but the ~3V Vhi it could output and still be RPi-safe is marginal for a true TTL input.
I thought TTL had it that an input <= 0V8 would be seen as a low, >= 2V0 would be seen as a high. I don't see how 3V would be marginal for TTL, being 1V above the minimum required.

TTL output must be <= 0V5 for low, >= 2V7, and 3V would meet that as well.

I don't see any evidence presented to support a claim that it's not TTL compatible.

User avatar
Z80 Refugee
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:53 pm

Re: Cooling w/ Razberry daughter board?

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:28 pm

While I agree with what you say, I would put my shirt on the original intention of the use "TTL" as meaning "logic level" rather than literally "TTL". The point is that it doesn't say "TTL compatible", it says "TTL" and (literally) that means 5V logic with the input voltage thresholds you have stated.
Military and Automotive Electronics Design Engineer (retired)

For the best service: make your thread title properly descriptive, and put all relevant details in the first post (including links - don't make us search)!

Return to “General discussion”