piglet

Forum : google analytics - grinding to a halt

Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:15 pm

It's making the forum grind to a halt on my PC. Why does it need to be there?

Code: Select all

<script>
  (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
  (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
  m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
  })(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-46270871-9', 'auto');
  ga('set', 'anonymizeIp', true);
  ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

Heater

Re: Forum : google analytics - grinding to a halt

Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:51 pm

Why indeed?

Why does a website like this, run by an organization I like to think we can trust a bit, shovel any information about me to places I was not told about and have no reason to trust. For example:
https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js

Recently private messages were removed from here. Apparently to prevent stalking and such like behavior.

However, snooping and prying by the likes of Google and others passes without a fuss.

You see what is wrong with this picture?

bensimmo

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:01 pm

Because they provide a service which helps them understand the usage better.

Heater, if you are so against these large companies, I suggest you leave the Pi behind, if you look at the large donations, the list contains probably everything you would hate.
You might find the foundation works with some of these companies or uses then quite a bit.

Imperf3kt

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:48 pm

Why do people care if google tracks them? You're not doing anything illegal and no personal information is on this site at all. None.

To the OP; I suggest just blocking the script if it causes you headaches.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

mfa298

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:58 pm

Heater wrote:
However, snooping and prying by the likes of Google and others passes without a fuss.
If you're worried about that then maybe you should switch off you're computer, sell it and move to a remote island. Analytics tools (like Google Analytics) are used by a large number of sites so that the site owners can see how they perform (how people find the site, how often they visit etc) in an anonymous form.

That use is covered under the Cookie Policy

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:20 pm

Heater wrote:
Recently private messages were removed from here. Apparently to prevent stalking and such like behavior.
I beleive that had more to do with the advent of GDPR than anything else.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:26 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Why do people care if google tracks them? You're not doing anything illegal and no personal information is on this site at all. None.
So...if you're not doing anything illegal, you don't mind if any and all government agencies (local police, intel agencies, etc., etc.) track your movements and activities all the time? Peering through your windows... Tracking what you buy... Examining your financial records whenever they wish... And all of it with no notice, and no requirement for judicial sign off of probable cause? And, of course, you don't mind if some random corporation does the same things.

Imperf3kt

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:45 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:26 pm
Imperf3kt wrote:
So...if you're not doing anything illegal, you don't mind if any and all government agencies (local police, intel agencies, etc., etc.) track your movements and activities all the time? Peering through your windows... Tracking what you buy... Examining your financial records whenever they wish... And all of it with no notice, and no requirement for judicial sign off of probable cause? And, of course, you don't mind if some random corporation does the same things.
Paranoid much? They don't care about you, you aren't so important that they can spend thousands of dollars to see if you like Oprah or Jerry Springer more.
My bank and ISP already do this, why should I care if a few others join?
Theres nothing about that, that will harm you in any way. So some random data center has some data about what your IP was searching. Big deal. No government cares about your hobbies, unless of course, they're less than legal.
This is a PUBLIC forum after all, ANYONE can see what you do here - without you knowing who
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

WillBoxOwO

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:40 am

Soo... Is there a way to surf the web being completely anonymous? Using a VPN wouldnt solve the problem?
I like cats

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:11 am

WillBoxOwO wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:40 am
Soo... Is there a way to surf the web being completely anonymous? Using a VPN wouldnt solve the problem?

Whatever you choose to do, someone somewhere will know how to circumnavigate, so if you are concerned just do not connect to the Internet.
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

piglet

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:49 am

I was more concerned about the fact it's causing pages not to load and general slowness.

My question was why is this script even on the page?

Someone said to block the script. I've now added it to adblock plus - but I have a feeling I did this before and it caused problems on other sites.

[edit] That doesn't help - it's still sitting waiting for response from google even though blocked. I guess adblock blocks after content has been sourced.

bertlea

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:05 am

I am not that concerned with the script, but I am very interested to know why this forum add that ga script. What is the purpose? I do not see any reason why Pi Foundation need these statistics:
What data does the tracking snippet capture?
When you add either of these tracking snippets to your website, you send a pageview for each page your users visit. Google Analytics processes this data and can infer a great deal of information including:

The total time a user spends on your site.
The time a user spends on each page and in what order those pages were visited.
What internal links were clicked (based on the URL of the next pageview).
In addition, the IP address, user agent string, and initial page inspection analytics.js does when creating a new tracker is used to determine things like the following:

The geographic location of the user.
What browser and operating system are being used.
Screen size and whether Flash or Java is installed.
The referring site.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:21 am

I've passed your concerns on to the webteam and Liz.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

gkreidl

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:32 am

jamesh wrote:
And tell them that the use of Google Analytics is not mentioned on the "privacy" page.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

jamesh

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:45 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:32 am
jamesh wrote:
And tell them that the use of Google Analytics is not mentioned on the "privacy" page.
All use is anonymised (i.e. IP address not recorded - see line in the script above)

There are plugins you can use to stop usage, if anyone is interested I can find out what the team recommend.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

hippy

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:04 pm

mfa298 wrote:
If you're worried about that then maybe you should switch off you're computer, sell it and move to a remote island.
Wow. But I'm not going to rise to that. I will just ask you to please reflect on how you would feel if told "that's how it is and you should go away and do without if you don't like how it is" when you didn't find something acceptable.
mfa298 wrote:
Analytics tools (like Google Analytics) are used by a large number of sites so that the site owners can see how they perform (how people find the site, how often they visit etc) in an anonymous form.
I don't mind anyone determining usage information and other data for their site. But what is of legitimate concern is how third parties determining that may also be using the data gathered.

Heater

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:38 pm

For once I am in agreement with hippy.

bensimmo

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:28 pm

One thing they could implement is the new cookie and data acceptance that a lot of website are now using (though they seem to implement as opt-out, not opt-in
I though everything bar that needed to function, was suppose to be opt-in.)
The one where you can turn of various tracking and companies etc.

Although that is annoying if your browser changes etc or you don't accept the cookie to say I accepted the cookie.

hippy

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:11 pm

Details of Google Analytics IP anonymisation are here ...

https://support.google.com/analytics/an ... 3052?hl=en

How anonymous that actually makes things alongside other data they may be recording, or why they have to store any of the IP rather than some other alternative but just as useful data I don't know. Nor can I say whether what is written should be taken at face value or not.

Return to “General discussion”