JacquesSteventon

Windows Emulator

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:40 pm

Hello,

I am new to the Pi and I am trying to find a windows emulator so I can use windows based applications with the facility to use USB 2.0 and ethernet. I own a weather website and was hoping to be able to use the Pi to act as a server. Unfortunately the software that I use to FTP to servers does not have a Linux version. So that brings me to the question I am looking for an easy to use Windows emulator or a way to use the software (Sandysoft Cumulus - http://sandaysoft.com/products/cumulus). What is the best software to use?

In advance thank you for your time.

Jacques

itimpi

Re: Windows Emulator

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:50 am

There are products like Qemu that can emulate an x86 machine and thus theoretically run Windows. However in that mode you would at best get something like the performance of a 1990 type PC (in other words one capable of running Windows 3.1 or Windows 95) with limited RAM available. I suspect this might mean that such emulation is therefore impractical for what you are trying to achieve.

Linux has a wide variety of FTP clients and server packages. You should look into using one of them instead as being a far more practical way of working if you want to use the Pi.

Mezo

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:26 am

Filezilla, used it on MS now use it on Linux, exact same thing & the best FTP by far.

Do yourself a flavour & forget MS.

Mezo.

Justin Webley

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Dear Mezo,

Forgetting MS is not something people who deal with computers in the real world can afford to do with all the legacy software that is in use. Sure from a hobbiest point of view Linux is great but in no way does it replace windows in the workplace. So how about trying to help with the OP's question instead of spouting the age old linux fan boi chant of forget m$ and give some practicle help or say nothing at all.

Im looking into what I can and can't get the PI to do but so far I havn't had any cause to look into windows emulation so I cannot be of any help, I just wanted to point out to Mezo that his point of view is as narrow as any walled garden system deployed by APPle or M$.

itimpi

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Windows emulation is not going to be of any practical use - it will always remain a curiosity. The Pi can emulate something like Windows 95 VERY slowly. It cannot emulate any modern variant of Windows as it does not have the resources to do so.

Joe Schmoe

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:28 pm

itimpi wrote:Windows emulation is not going to be of any practical use - it will always remain a curiosity. The Pi can emulate something like Windows 95 VERY slowly. It cannot emulate any modern variant of Windows as it does not have the resources to do so.
Right. That is the significant fact in a nutshell. What this means is: If you require Windows emulation, then the Pi is not for you. Full stop.

But, the other, second, significant point, is: If all you are really looking for is an FTP server, then there are plenty of Linux native solutions - and it is silly to assume that you must use a certain Windows-based software as your FTP server.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:44 pm

Justin Webley wrote:Dear Mezo,

Forgetting MS is not something people who deal with computers in the real world can afford to do with all the legacy software that is in use. Sure from a hobbiest point of view Linux is great but in no way does it replace windows in the workplace. So how about trying to help with the OP's question instead of spouting the age old linux fan boi chant of forget m$ and give some practicle help or say nothing at all.

Im looking into what I can and can't get the PI to do but so far I havn't had any cause to look into windows emulation so I cannot be of any help, I just wanted to point out to Mezo that his point of view is as narrow as any walled garden system deployed by APPle or M$.
Linux is not just great for a hobbyist though. It's used for a vast number of webservers, it's the basis of Android and it's found in TV's, routers, and many other electronic devices. Many worksplaces use it - we do, but we also use MS stuff as well. It's just the desktop where it lags behind - although I use it fine!

To the OP's question, as Joe says, in this case, forget MS - what the OP wants to do is not possible using Windows software on the Raspi. BUT, there is Linux sw that could do the same job. So, in reality the replies have been spot on, if badly presented!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Joe Schmoe

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:19 pm

jamesh wrote: To the OP's question, as Joe says, in this case, forget MS - what the OP wants to do is not possible using Windows software on the Raspi. BUT, there is Linux sw that could do the same job. So, in reality the replies have been spot on, if badly presented!
Just to be clear, my position is that it might well be true that the OP can't "forget MS" - that he is required to use a certain piece of Windows software. And note that this may be true politically, even if it is isn't, strictly speaking, true technically. The PHB's may require that "XYZ" software be used - and "XYZ" only runs under Windows - even if, technically, Linux alternatives exist.

Or, it may not be a PHB problem - it may just be the case that it is not worth the trouble to investigate Linux alternatives. In either case, it is then true that, as I said earlier, "The Pi is not for you."
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

antacti

Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:02 am

Okay aside from the whole "you can't run Windows on a Pi" thing. I find the program that he cites incredibly intriguing. Simply put it provides weather station data. There's plenty of ways to get data to a web server, but to obtain raw data from a weather station and interpret and present it in a meaningful way to a user is intriguing.

This is exactly the type of thing that the raspberry pi would excel at. You could theoretically use the GPIO pins to collect data from a set of sensors. Do a bit of programming to interpret that data, and use one of the numerous utilities that already exist to publish it to a website. That sounds like a great hobby build.

Anyone up to taking it on and releasing the source?

ghans

Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:44 am

There is enough Linux weather station software around, and there are
enough reverse-engineered protocols available. People have already supported success
with those solutions here on this forum.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “General discussion”