aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: Multiple Frame buffer beta testers wanted

Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:43 pm

Hi jamesh,

will test them and let you know. Should now be able for intense testing of second frame buffer for displays connected to DPI (as my first boards showed a production issue on the connector and I had to order new ones).

Target is to test combinations listed below:
- HDMI only
- DPI only
- DSI only
- HDMI + DSI
- HDMI + DPI

on a CM3L based solution. Don't care about composite video (and don't have HW to test it), so I will leave this to sombody else.

I have a good lineup on displays on hands and want to test if I will hit a max performance wall at some point (i.e. with 2 FHD displays connected, both at 60Hz frame frequency, and one or both of them rotated)
If this works I might look into driving one half of a 4k2k displays = 2 times 980x2160pixels with a single Pi - just for the fun of it :lol:

wilsonb

Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:10 pm

jamesh wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:15 pm
aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:41 am
Hi jamesh,

did any of the multiple framebuffer code made it into latest Raspbian release (2018-10-09)? If not, can you prepare files to test with latest version?
OK, have the images built, and put them here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q5TQ1 ... 4UMavmTh7H

I think they work OK, haven't done a lot of testing, just merged to latest masters and rebuilt, with a very quick test to make sure framebuffer actually appeared.

This is 4.14.76, so slightly newer than the current release, so might be a modules mismatch.
Hi thanks for all the effort. I have replaced kernel and start with the ones you provided. At this point, what else would need to be done to get them both working? Asking because there are a lot of message here to go through and not sure if there are new instructions. Maybe we should make a 'sticky' on first page.
Im using RetroPie and using the new Pimiero HyperPixel 4.0 https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/hype ... 9485443155
and after replacing files with HDMI plugged in, LCD looks good but HDMI is blank no rainbow.

Thanks

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:21 pm

wilsonb wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:15 pm
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:41 am
Hi jamesh,

did any of the multiple framebuffer code made it into latest Raspbian release (2018-10-09)? If not, can you prepare files to test with latest version?
OK, have the images built, and put them here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q5TQ1 ... 4UMavmTh7H

I think they work OK, haven't done a lot of testing, just merged to latest masters and rebuilt, with a very quick test to make sure framebuffer actually appeared.

This is 4.14.76, so slightly newer than the current release, so might be a modules mismatch.
Hi thanks for all the effort. I have replaced kernel and start with the ones you provided. At this point, what else would need to be done to get them both working? Asking because there are a lot of message here to go through and not sure if there are new instructions. Maybe we should make a 'sticky' on first page.
Im using RetroPie and using the new Pimiero HyperPixel 4.0 https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/hype ... 9485443155
and after replacing files with HDMI plugged in, LCD looks good but HDMI is blank no rainbow.

Thanks
Enable the camera using raspi-config to make it uses the correct start_x.elf
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:28 am

wilsonb wrote:
Hi, as this is beta testing you should use Raspbian OS for testing with. Other versions (i.e. OSMC, Retropie, ..) might cause unknown issues as they - quite often. - use their own kernel.

Here is a brief guideline how to start (hope I didn't missed a point/mixed up the order):
1) prepare a fresh uSD, boot and configure (initial setting for WiFi,Keyboard, etc) using HDMI display only
2) add 'start_x=1' to config.txt
3) replace the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf contents with the contents below

Code: Select all

# This is a minimal sample config file, which can be copied to
# /etc/X11/xorg.conf in order to make the Xorg server pick up
# and load xf86-video-fbturbo driver installed in the system.
# When troubleshooting, check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for the debugging
# output and error messages.
#
# Run "man fbturbo" to get additional information about the extra
# configuration options for tuning the driver.

#Section "Device"
#        Identifier      "Allwinner A10/A13 FBDEV"
#        Driver          "fbturbo"
#        Option          "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"
#        Option          "SwapbuffersWait" "true"
#EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "fbturbo0"
        Driver          "fbturbo"
        Option          "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"

Option          "SwapbuffersWait" "true"
        Option          "debug" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "fbturbo1"
        Driver          "fbturbo"
        Option          "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"

Option          "SwapbuffersWait" "true"
        Option          "debug" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "fbdev0"
        Driver          "fbdev"
        Option          "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "fbdev1"
        Driver          "fbdev"
        Option          "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    Option "Primary" "False"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor1"
    Option "RightOf" "Monitor0"
    Option "Primary" "False"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "ScreenTurbo0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    Device "fbturbo0"
    Subsection "Display"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "ScreenTurbo1"
    Monitor "Monitor1"
    Device "fbturbo1"
    Subsection "Display"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "ScreenDev0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    Device "fbdev0"
    Subsection "Display"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "ScreenDev1"
    Monitor "Monitor1"
    Device "fbdev1"
    Subsection "Display"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Multihead"
    Screen  0 "ScreenTurbo0"
    Screen  1 "ScreenTurbo1" rightof "ScreenTurbo0"
    Option  "Xinerama" "true"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Singlehead0"
    Screen  0 "ScreenTurbo0"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Singlehead1"
    Screen  0 "ScreenTurbo1"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "BlankTime"  "0"
    Option "StandbyTime"  "0"
    Option "SuspendTime"  "0"
    Option "OffTime"  "0"
    Option "DefaultServerLayout" "Singlehead0"
EndSection
4) reboot
5) copy files from here viewtopic.php?f=63&t=216399&start=200#p1381436 (latest at the time of writing the post) to uSD
6) reboot
7) use raspi-config and select to boot to CLI
8) reboot
9) at command line: start desktop with

startx -- -layout Multihead
10) check if frame buffer is created

ls /dev/fb*
11) enable and configure your second display, reboot, check if frame buffers are generated (same command as above). If everything went well you should have two displays running now. For changing desktop priority read here viewtopic.php?f=63&t=216399&start=175#p1364127

NOTE: As the HYPERPIXEL display is using DPI interface you cannot use it together with the official 7in display (because DPI and DSI can't be used together)!

aBUGSworstnightmare

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:16 pm

Tested with a fresh installation where it did not work (lost USB devices; same as already reported earlier).

Then used an old installation. After update/upgrade/rpi-update/reboot only one framebuffer was generated. Replaced the kernel7.img and start_x.elf with your files and then got it working.

Need to say that I'm on a standard RPi 3 atm, with DSI + HDMI.

Note: I see the same issue as already reported here viewtopic.php?f=98&t=222143

jamesh

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:34 pm

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:16 pm
Tested with a fresh installation where it did not work (lost USB devices; same as already reported earlier).

Then used an old installation. After update/upgrade/rpi-update/reboot only one framebuffer was generated. Replaced the kernel7.img and start_x.elf with your files and then got it working.

Need to say that I'm on a standard RPi 3 atm, with DSI + HDMI.

Note: I see the same issue as already reported here viewtopic.php?f=98&t=222143
That's a module mismatch. I should have rebuilt the stuff at a specific version number, however, I just used top of tree. It currently required 4.14.76 modules I believe.

Linked post seems unrelated?

aBUGSworstnightmare

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:48 pm

jamesh wrote: That's a module mismatch. I should have rebuilt the stuff at a specific version number, however, I just used top of tree. It currently required 4.14.76 modules I believe.

Linked post seems unrelated?
Yes, I'm on 4.14.76.
Well, I'll just wanted to make a comment on the 'battery icon' as this seems to show up due to the module mismatch (as it's for sure not related to frame buffer)

GreggTheB

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:08 pm

ABugsWorstNightmare;
Did you solve the problem with USB input seizing? I followed the latest instructions here, and am running into the same or-similar- problem. When x starts, no USB input.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:43 am

GreggTheB wrote: ABugsWorstNightmare;
Did you solve the problem with USB input seizing? I followed the latest instructions here, and am running into the same or-similar- problem. When x starts, no USB input.
I still need to verify this, but a fresh installation with

sudo  apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y
sudo rpi-update 
should do the trick.
Once you've done this continue with no2 of my short how-to. Should work now.

I did update/upgrade/rpi-update after I lost USB mouse and bluetooth keyboard control. Funny thing was that a freshly connected USB keyboard was detected/working, so I could inout the commands at CLI, reboot and then start - now working - x.

If you have another USB keyboard on hands you should try too.

luciodeep

Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:30 am

Hi all,
I'm new in this forum, but I'm not really new to rpi and Linux and I would like to be active part in the beta testing of this feature because I was searching for months for it.

I've followed your numbered step-by-step guide to achieve multiple framebuffers on mi Pi but I've surely a module mismatch (usb not working, wifi & BT not working - "FAILED" on initializing modules during startup); I'm on Raspbian Jessie 4.14.77 kernel version (done update && rpi-update a few days ago) and I'm using official dsi lcd and hdmi tv.

If it is possible take part to beta testing in this phase, I need some directives on how to achieve the goal of have multiple framebuffers.

will a Fresh installation do the trick or do I have to wait for official release?

Please let me know if is it available for download a Kernel7.img and start_x.elf suitable for version 4.14.77 .

By the way, if you know that or have a forecast, How many time we 've to wait for official support in Jessie for multiple framebuffers.

Thank you very much for your very appreciated work

I'll stay in touch with you here.
L.

Raspberry Pi 3 B - Raspbian Jessie + kodi Krypton w/CarPC carbon skin by idorel77 + Open auto

aBUGSworstnightmare

Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:48 am

luciodeep wrote: Please let me know if is it available for download a Kernel7.img and start_x.elf suitable for version 4.14.77 .
Have you tried to replace these two files with the ones available here? viewtopic.php?f=63&t=216399&start=200#p1381436

That's what was working for me (as written above)

luciodeep

Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:20 pm

luciodeep wrote: Please let me know if is it available for download a Kernel7.img and start_x.elf suitable for version 4.14.77 .
Have you tried to replace these two files with the ones available here? viewtopic.php?f=63&t=216399&start=200#p1381436

Yes, of course, I did it :)
Replacing these two files result in :
boot with official dsi ts + hdmi (samsung 32 " hd ready tv) connected; I have splash screen on both screen, startup trace on "main" screen (framebuffer priority works like a charm)....but no usb devices (neither "old" or "fresh" devices), no wifi (so no ssh), no bt.....battery icon (empty with red edges): so no chance to try this feature and test it

Let me know if I can give you more details...
Thx :roll:

jamesh

Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:48 pm

luciodeep wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:20 pm

Yes, of course, I did it :)
Replacing these two files result in :
boot with official dsi ts + hdmi (samsung 32 " hd ready tv) connected; I have splash screen on both screen, startup trace on "main" screen (framebuffer priority works like a charm)....but no usb devices (neither "old" or "fresh" devices), no wifi (so no ssh), no bt.....battery icon (empty with red edges): so no chance to try this feature and test it

Let me know if I can give you more details...
Thx :roll:
This is because the kernel modules do not match the test kernel supplied. I guess I need to rebuild to the current release kernel, rather than the top of tree. Unless rpi-update gets the right modules? Not sure.

luciodeep

Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:59 pm

jamesh wrote:

This is because the kernel modules do not match the test kernel supplied. I guess I need to rebuild to the current release kernel, rather than the top of tree. Unless rpi-update gets the right modules? Not sure.
I think so.
I've not tried rpi-update after replacing files. That's the overnight challenge!

aBUGSworstnightmare

Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:05 pm

jamesh wrote:
I guess I need to rebuild to the current release kernel, rather than the top of tree. Unless rpi-update gets the right modules? Not sure.
I think that would be the safest way to proceed, allowing everyone to participate.

jamesh

Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:15 pm

luciodeep wrote:
jamesh wrote:

I think so.
I've not tried rpi-update after replacing files. That's the overnight challenge!
rpi-update will overwrite the new files, so you would need to recopy them afterwards.

luciodeep

Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:24 pm

jamesh wrote:
luciodeep wrote:
jamesh wrote:

I think so.
rpi-update will overwrite the new files, so you would need to recopy them afterwards.
OK.
I'll try this tonight (I live in Rome - Italy now I'm at work ;) )

I'll update you.
Thx

luciodeep

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:39 am

luciodeep wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:24 pm
jamesh wrote:
luciodeep wrote:

I think so.
OK.
I'll try this tonight (I live in Rome - Italy now I'm at work ;) )

I'll update you.
Thx
Hi @jamesh ... no luck!
I've done following:
  • replaced files you provided --> update, upgrade,rpi-update --> reboot --> module mismatch (no wifi, no bt, no usb devices) --> could not check if /dev/fb1 is created --> re-copy your files --> same thing
  • replaced start_x.elf with yours but not kernel7.img --> update, upgrade,rpi-update --> reboot --> starts at cli command line, have wifi, bt, usb devices --> startx -- -layout Multihead --> success but only dsi tft shows desktop (framebuffer priority has set to dsi lcd) --> only /dev/fb0 has been created
  • tried with a fresh install of raspbian (update, upgrade, rpi-update), followed numbered steps --> another time update, upgrade, rpi-update --> reboot --> no luck! (no wifi, no bt, no usb devices)
So this is
Bye

aBUGSworstnightmare

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:55 am

Maybe only run rpi-update and then replace the two (!) files in /boot. Test if it is workinng (without running update/upgrade!).

Hopefully I have time this weekend to resume testing. Will start with a fresh installation and keep the current uSD unchanged.

luciodeep

Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:30 am

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:55 am
Maybe only run rpi-update and then replace the two (!) files in /boot. Test if it is workinng (without running update/upgrade!).

Hopefully I have time this weekend to resume testing. Will start with a fresh installation and keep the current uSD unchanged.
Hi, finally got it working.
  • prepared a fresh install
  • done initial configuration
  • applied config.txt and x11 conf file modifications
  • rpi-update 0018be6 (4.14.76+)
  • copied kernel7.img and start_x.elf
  • rebooted
  • copied 99-fbturbo.conf in xorg.conf
  • testing
If you need specific tests i can help in, you'r welcome!

aBUGSworstnightmare

Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:59 am

Started testing again, this time using a CM3L Compute Module on my custom carrier board LVDS4CM3L.

Tested HMDI + DSI with no issues
IMG_0677.jpg
HDMI + DSI testing. LCD module on 1st LVDS interface (HDMI) is HD-resolution (1366x786pixels)
IMG_0677.jpg (55.19 KiB) Viewed 389 times
Rotated the screens, changed frame buffer priority, played different videos to screens (playing at the same time) , .. all without problems (also when rotated)

HDMI + DPI is still ongoing. Will have to test a Full-HD connected to the second LVDS port (on expansion board, using DPI interface)
IMG_0680.jpg
Nexus 7 display connected to LVDS4CM3L secondary LVDS port
IMG_0680.jpg (50.3 KiB) Viewed 389 times
IMG_0682.jpg
both LVDS displays connected directly, without A/D-board
IMG_0682.jpg (108.73 KiB) Viewed 389 times
Need to test capability of DPI interface so see if it is possible to drive up to FHD resolution from there.
Test done so far (similar to HDMI + DSI) did not show any problem.

Note: HDMI and DSI only are working fine too!

aBUGSworstnightmare

Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:37 am

Did some more testings today.
IMG_0685.JPG
Google Nexus 7in (1280x800 portrait mode) and 18.5in Full-HD (1920x1080; rotated to portrait) - both connected directly to LVDS4CM3L expandable baseboard
IMG_0685.JPG (137.76 KiB) Viewed 357 times
Connected the 18.5in Full-HD to the LVDS expansion board. It works just fine, even when rotated to portrait mode.

Couldn't see any issues so far.
@jamesh: is there any specific test you want me to do?
Last edited by aBUGSworstnightmare on Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:49 am

Is this built for 4.19.0-V7+ (hexxeh commit d31aa70) yet? I've freed up my touch screen (it's no longer on my ADS-B decoder, it's going on a machine with a DVB TV μHAT - as a portable TV) so I can try testing this stuff again.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

jamesh

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:06 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Is this built for 4.19.0-V7+ (hexxeh commit d31aa70) yet? I've freed up my touch screen (it's no longer on my ADS-B decoder, it's going on a machine with a DVB TV μHAT - as a portable TV) so I can try testing this stuff again.
I've not done a build against 4.19 yet.

DougieLawson

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:11 am

jamesh wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:06 am
DougieLawson wrote:
I've not done a build against 4.19 yet.
OK. I'll rpi-update back to 4.14.78-v7+ before trying my experiments.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

Return to “General discussion”