birv2
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Best solder sucker on Amazon?

Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:29 pm

What can you recommend? Looking for something not too expensive that just works.

TIA,
Bob Irving
Charleston, SC

wh7qq

Re: Best solder sucker on Amazon?

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:25 pm

Tough topic. I had one recently that sucked good...so much so that it shook my hand and disturbed the work. Then the stupid plastic tip broke off at the base...useless. It was a pretty blue anodized thing from "Steren".I am beginning to think that the only good ones have a small pump that pulls a vacuum. The spring loaded suckers are too hard to hold steady. I mostly use solder wick and keep a bottle of liquid flux handy to wet it just a bit before use. If you find one, let us know.
Last edited by wh7qq on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:35 pm

The best solder sucking method is a good kind of solder wick, (one that is impregnated with solder flux) in the military solder wick is the only approved de-soldering method, as the bang from the release of a solder pump can damage delicate equipment.

To check if a solder sucker is still working well. close the tip with your thumb, and press the release button, the plunger should nor release with a bang, but slowly as a vacuum is drawn. If you lift your thumb and release air the plunger should move the rest of the way.

If the sucker doesn't draw a vacuum, the rubber ring should be checked, (and if damaged replaced) and the sucker cleaned.

Empty the sucker often, so that there is no solder buildup in the point.

I don't see much difference between solder suckers, a cheap one can be fine.

birv2

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:52 pm

Thanks for the reply. I was trying the braid, but it didn't seem to be pulling it up.

What is the difference between liquid flux and water-based flux? I can get the second locally.

Thanks!
Bob

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:33 am

There is a huge difference between various brands of de-soldering wick (braid), the good ones are pure copper braid, impregnated with a thin layer of rosin. There are also "non clean" braids, which have no rosin, and they suck by not being able to suck as well....., so they suck if you get my drift.

other bad brands have copper that is oxidized, and the oxidization rejects solder, they work even worse.

any water in "water based flux" will turn into steam, when heated, and will prevent re-flowing, which sounds bad to me. I don't understand how flux can be "water based", and work.

I have had good experiences with Chemtronics ROSIN SD type SW18025.

birv2

Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks. Got a generic solder sucker from a colleague (no name on it) and using that along with the braid. Seems to be working fairly well so far!

Peter Penn

Wed May 22, 2019 11:29 am

I think you can find Solder Suckers not only on Amazon. But there you can buy at competitive prices. For example, I use Engineer Solder Sucker for my work. Very pleased. But also consider other options here.
https://solderingironguide.com/reviews/ ... r-suckers/
Perhaps you will be interested. ;) ;)

birv2

Thu May 23, 2019 12:22 pm

Thanks for the recos!

rpdom

Thu May 23, 2019 12:27 pm

The solder sucker I currently use (I have tried a few different ones) has a flexible silicone pipe for the nozzle. Because it is soft it doesn't transfer the force of the pump onto the component that is being desoldered. It comes with a couple of pieces of the silicone tube that can be cut to length to use as nozzles when the old ones wear out.
Signature is on holiday.

pcmanbob

Thu May 23, 2019 12:38 pm

This is the one I use now , have tried many over the years including a semi professional de-soldering station, but I have found this works well with all sizes of component/solder pads,

soft silicone tip allows you to get a good seal around the component lead and the soldering iron so as to remove as much solder in one go as possible.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quality-Innova ... way&sr=8-1
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

LTolledo

Thu May 23, 2019 2:35 pm

Am using generic solder sucker, to take out most of the melted solder

then clean up using solder wick....and brush the de-soldered area with rosin cleaner...
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

dl324

Thu May 23, 2019 2:46 pm

Best is subjective.

For most of my desoldering, I've been using this type for 4 decades
edsyn-15970_ds017_DV_WebXL.jpg
edsyn-15970_ds017_DV_WebXL.jpg (15.58 KiB) Viewed 364 times
I can't remember the last time I used solder wick.

Sometimes I use the solder sucker from my hot air station
aoyue2702+.jpg
aoyue2702+.jpg (7.13 KiB) Viewed 364 times
The best solder sucker I've used was when I worked at HP. They had a vacuum pump attached to some hose with a tip and a floor activated switch.

rpdom

Thu May 23, 2019 4:18 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:38 pm
This is the one I use now , have tried many over the years including a semi professional de-soldering station, but I have found this works well with all sizes of component/solder pads,

soft silicone tip allows you to get a good seal around the component lead and the soldering iron so as to remove as much solder in one go as possible.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quality-Innova ... way&sr=8-1
Yes, that looks the same as the one I've got.
Signature is on holiday.

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu May 23, 2019 7:10 pm

rpdom wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:27 pm
The solder sucker I currently use (I have tried a few different ones) has a flexible silicone pipe for the nozzle. Because it is soft it doesn't transfer the force of the pump onto the component that is being desoldered. It comes with a couple of pieces of the silicone tube that can be cut to length to use as nozzles when the old ones wear out.
A silicone-tip solder sucker is my preferred method for getting through-hole component leads out from multilayer PCBs, especially if the pads are bonded to multiple layers. The silicone tip doesn't degrade at solder melting temperatures (they're good up to 250C usually) and the squishiness means that they make an airtight seal around the pad. Chop the component off with angle cutters, heat the joint and lead stub, suck the stub and the solder out through the PCB via the sucker.

Desolder braid is infinitely superior for surface mount pads, especially when manually soldering. Just cover the whole row of pads in solder, make sure it all flows cleanly, then hoover off the excess with the braid. Because the braid has nothing other than capillary action to remove solder, the bond between component lead and surface pad isn't going to go dry. Braid also works for cleaning up pads prior to replacing a component - because it wicks solder away from a surface, it leaves the surface almost completely flat so your SMT component won't ride up on bumps.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

rpdom

Thu May 23, 2019 7:25 pm

jdb wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:10 pm
Desolder braid is infinitely superior for surface mount pads, especially when manually soldering. Just cover the whole row of pads in solder, make sure it all flows cleanly, then hoover off the excess with the braid. Because the braid has nothing other than capillary action to remove solder, the bond between component lead and surface pad isn't going to go dry. Braid also works for cleaning up pads prior to replacing a component - because it wicks solder away from a surface, it leaves the surface almost completely flat so your SMT component won't ride up on bumps.
There is also that (slightly expensive) stuff that is essentially a very low melting point solder-type alloy (about 60°C) that can be used to keep solder on SMT chips molten for long enough that you can just run a soldering iron around the chip and lift it off. It needs to be cleaned off the pads before putting on a new component, but as it stays liquid for longer it is easy to wipe off.
Disclaimer: I've only seen a few videos of it being tried out, I haven't used it myself. I use braid for desoldering some SMT stuff.
Signature is on holiday.

jdb

Fri May 24, 2019 1:28 pm

I use a Miller Flexivac 2009, but the 2006 is cheaper as it's all plastic
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1701825.pdf

Protip: "antistatic" in the name usually means "double the price". But most professional-level tools are antistatic.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

Return to “General discussion”