RichardS

Re: Replacing RPi 2B -> 3B+ : Worth it?

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:08 pm

ejolson wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:30 pm
Upgrading to gigabit buys you at most a 3x performance increase, in the case of my setup only 2x, and a whole slew of flow control requirements because the gigabit adapter can not actually receive at gigabit speeds

The original 3B barely works at 1.2Ghz, not because of thermal cooling which can be easily supplemented, but because of the power regulation circuitry. This is the invisible upgrade that makes 1.4 Ghz reliable on the 3B+.

Adding gigabit networking and 1.4 Ghz clock speeds to the 2B would significantly increase the power consumption and that would pretty much negate many of the reasons for even having such a model.
You have raised a good point about the potential risks and limited rewards of upgrading the Pi 2 to GigE, but I am less convinced about the continued requirement for the Pi 2 model being driven by it's slower clock and resulting lower power requirements. If that were the case, could not one simply buy a Pi 3, downclock it to 900MHz, and disable the onboard WiFi?

I suspect that in many cases the demand for the Pi2 model is driven specifically by its lack of onboard WiFi hardware (which may be a requirement in some commercial applications, where simply disabling the WiFi in software may not be acceptable for security reasons).

Whatever the reason for the Pi 2 sales, the newer SOC package does have better thermal performance, so I would think utilizing it for both the Pi 3b+ and a new Pi 2b+ would be a plus all around (no pun intended).

This would give better thermal performance for the end user, and even if they bumped the performance up to 1Ghz, this would still allow Broadcom and the Pi Foundation to utilize otherwise unusable lower binned parts.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:59 pm

I think the chances of a redesigned Pi2 are somewhere between zero and zilch.

We have much better things to be doing with our time! Cool stuff!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

bensimmo

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:22 am

but we don't :lol:

Return to “General discussion”