jeebo

Virtualise an SD Card instance on PC

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:26 pm

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if its possible, to virtualise not just RPi on PC, but to use the image on an SD card (so it can be swapped between)

The thought is, I want to configure my Pi, but want to configure it via my laptop, do the installs etc, updates, plugins, configurations - and then plug the configured SD card into the Pi and let it just pick up from where I left off on the PC?

Is this possible? I suspect it probably isnt?

Paul Hutch

Re: Virtualise an SD Card instance on PC

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:53 pm

It probably would be possible (might be impractical though) to have a virtual SD card in the PC based virtual Raspbian. However, since the virtual Raspbian is for an X86 microprocessor and normal Raspbian on a Pi is for an ARM microprocessor, the software on the card wouldn't work on the other microprocessor.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:03 pm

jeebo wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:26 pm
Hi Folks,

I was wondering if its possible, to virtualise not just RPi on PC, but to use the image on an SD card (so it can be swapped between)

The thought is, I want to configure my Pi, but want to configure it via my laptop, do the installs etc, updates, plugins, configurations - and then plug the configured SD card into the Pi and let it just pick up from where I left off on the PC?

Is this possible? I suspect it probably isnt?

Your PC and the RPi have different CPU Architecture.

Though can run an instance of Raspbian Operating Sysyem in QEMU (Qemu emulates the RPi Architecture) not sure how you would then create a bootable SD Card from that though......
Retired disgracefully.....

jeebo

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:00 am

this is what I was thinking, the architecture emulation of QEMU is good, but it lacked the SD, likewise Virtualbox and such like has the emulation options and could run the SD but not the architecture.

Nevermind, I achieved my goals in the end.

Return to “General discussion”