HiggleBottom

Windows RT?

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:40 pm

Hi!
Before I start, Sorry if anyone has all ready made a topic on this ( I couldn't search because Windows and RT are too common words. )
Anyway, I was spying over at the Windows Website, at the new Windows RT. I then saw, it is built for ARM tablets, and the RPi immediately sprung into my mind. I thought we could create a "bramble" of pi's ( see here if you are confused: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 7485#p7485
to combine all of the RAM and make a computer running Windows RT! Of course you would have to have a license for it, but I was just wondering if it was possible :?: Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

P.S. don't go hard on me or anything. I'm only 10.

MattHawkinsUK

Re: Windows RT?

Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:03 pm

You would probably need a Windows licence for each device.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

ITz Life NL

Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:04 pm

yeah but windows 8 needs about 2 gb of ram to run enough grafics powered by one cooling and lots of power so it possible is a good idea but it would require a lot of time money and licence fees

caderoux

Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Extremely unlikely. RT is only available to device manufacturers, so you would not likely be able to get a license.

Even if the RPF or whoever is considered the manufacturer were to apply for a license, it also requires a UEFI boot firmware and a much higher level of ARM core. The RPi is also extremely underpowered even with the 512MB RAM - the difficulties of running Android are similar. New Android machines ship with 1-2GB RAM now. Then there are graphics driver requirements for the graphics chipset and more

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT
Last edited by caderoux on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SN

Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:33 pm

yup, the microsoft surface w/ windows rt comes with 2Gb ram....
http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-GB/ ... ifications
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

W. H. Heydt

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:35 am

Aside from the other problems people have noted, WindowsRT requires a "bios" that is locked to a Microsoft license key (not sure what it's called on a tablet, but it's the equivalent of UEFI on a PC).

Microsoft wants WindowsRT tablet locked down tight so nothing other than what they approve can be run on their tablets that come with their software.

The Pi isn't organized that way...so, even if everything else were possible, it can't be done.

Ultimately, I think this is MS being envious of Apple's "walled garden" and wanting one of their own...in their usual ham-handed way.

This, by the way, is not to discount the possibility that sooner or later (probably sooner...) WinRT tablets will get a "jail break" and people will start running other OS's on them.

Wendo

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:45 am

Not to mention there is no ARMv6 version of it

maribu

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:16 am

@ HiggleBottom: A Raspberry Pi for a bramble is probably not the ideal choice if you want to get a lot of CPU power. The Pi has a slow CPU and a fast GPU. If there was a way to use the GPU as a floating point unit a bramble of Pis could get interesting for scientific calculation. But for normal operation of an operation System (like Windows(R) (TM) ($) (...) ) you need integer processing power (provided by the CPU). And not all tasks can be distributed on more than one CPU. Also I have never heard of a bramble using MS Windows(R) (TM) (...) as operating system.

So all in all: Why would I pay money for an operating system which will never get even close to be usable while there is the free Linux which works nicely (provided you use an appropriate system configuration and software).

Regards,
Maribu

HiggleBottom

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:09 am

Oh, ok. I just wondered if it was possible as I saw it runs on ARM. I know a lot, but not as much. Thanks anyway!

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:48 pm

There is also the issue of tablet OSes such as RT being designed for touchscreens which have not been integrated with a Pi yet, AFAIK. This is also an issue with Android and while a mouse and keyboard could theoretically be used, a multi-touch trackpad would be better, but still much less usable than with a touchscreen.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

marios8543

Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:52 pm

Even if it's a good idea and I have thought it myself too I don't think it's possible. The pi does not have the required ram and cpu power to even run windows rt. :cry:

P.S Writing on my Windows RT tablet (Dell XPS 10)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:43 am

Definitely contender for thread necro of the week! To the OP - did you see the previous post was over two years ago?

(Notwithstanding your post is actually correct! But I have seen prototype devices with the slightly higher level of SoC but same GPU running RT, and it wasn't too bad)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “General discussion”