cfcmanero

Would USB-C type monitor work with Raspberry Pi 3?

Mon May 21, 2018 11:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I was looking to buy a USB monitor for my Raspberry Pi 3.

I saw the ASUS ZenScreen MB16AC 15.6-Inch Full HD IPS Monitor and I tough of connecting it with an HDMI to USB-C adapter.
Do you think that owuld work? Has anyone tried already and succeed?

Or what would be the best option in terms of portable screens in the areas of 15/16 in?

Thanks!
Anthony

thagrol

Re: Would USB-C type monitor work with Raspberry Pi 3?

Tue May 22, 2018 12:23 pm

Judging by the spec if you can convert from hdmi to displayport then from display port to USB C it may work. However there is no linux driver available so you'll likely have problems or reduced functionality. You can't use the windows or MacOS drivers as they're for both a different OS and a different CPU type.

You may also find that the pi can't supply enough power, according to the spec it needs 1.5 amps (that's three USB 2 ports worth)

Given the price, the high current requirement, the lack of drivers, and the need for keyboard, mouse etc you might find it both cheaper and easier to use a basic or second hand laptop and connect to the pi via vnc over a private network (this can be done with a single ethernet cable).

Try the vnc approach with your existing PC before spending out though.

Just my two pence worth.

Disclaimer: I don't have one of those monitors so don't take my comments as gospel truth.
This space unintentionally left blank.

cfcmanero

Tue May 22, 2018 1:21 pm

thagrol wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:23 pm
Judging by the spec if you can convert from hdmi to displayport then from display port to USB C it may work. However there is no linux driver available so you'll likely have problems or reduced functionality. You can't use the windows or MacOS drivers as they're for both a different OS and a different CPU type.

You may also find that the pi can't supply enough power, according to the spec it needs 1.5 amps (that's three USB 2 ports worth)

Given the price, the high current requirement, the lack of drivers, and the need for keyboard, mouse etc you might find it both cheaper and easier to use a basic or second hand laptop and connect to the pi via vnc over a private network (this can be done with a single ethernet cable).

Try the vnc approach with your existing PC before spending out though.

Just my two pence worth.

Disclaimer: I don't have one of those monitors so don't take my comments as gospel truth.
Thanks a lot, much appreciated!

romanPi

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:07 pm

ASUS Released new version of it's ZenScreen ! This version have built-in battery, usb-c hybrid signal solution, 10 point touch screen capability and.... regular microHDMI in. This will certainly work with Pi. It is pricey though...

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ZenScreen-MB16AMT/

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:22 pm

romanPi wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:07 pm
ASUS Released new version of it's ZenScreen ! This version have built-in battery, usb-c hybrid signal solution, 10 point touch screen capability and.... regular microHDMI in. This will certainly work with Pi. It is pricey though...

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ZenScreen-MB16AMT/
Got a price? I don't see one on that page...

Then there are these... https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pack ... op-monitor#/

Pretty pricey (the 10.1" version is supposed to list for $319), but quite nice resolution. 2560x1600 for the 10.1" and 4K for the 15.6" version.

thagrol

Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:35 pm

From reading other threads on here, don't expect video output over USB C to work. Well not unless the USB C connected device appears as a displaylink video adpator (or similar).

It seems that the 4B's USB C port has just power, USB 2 and otg connections. Video cannot be routed from the GPU to the USB C port.

So:

Power over USB C: probably, depending on the PSU.
Video over USB C: maybe if the screen presents as a displaylink or similar device. No otherwise.
This space unintentionally left blank.

Imperf3kt

Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:18 pm

The advertised monitor gets its video from micro HDMI, as far as I can tell, the USB-C is for power.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Return to “General discussion”