Imperf3kt

Re: STICKY: PMs being turned off from June 13

Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:47 pm

I don't think anybody, not a single person, understood what I was asking.

Since its not my decision either way, I'll just leave the matter alone.
Stop plugging your fan directly into the GPIO 5v
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/power/transient-suppression.html

rpdom

Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:46 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
I don't think it explicitly states anywhere that PMs on a website are a safety threat to children, but these laws/guidelines are pretty vague and open to all sorts of interpretation. (I've been dealing with the GDPR one at work and that is a mess).

The RPF is playing it safe until they have either legal clarification, or can change their forums to have secure age verification (if needed). I don't blame them where children may be involved.
Last edited by rpdom on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

bensimmo

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:13 am

Because there is no answer, that what lawyers are paid for.
GDPR is still being figured out by companies, most still don't have a clue.
It causing allsorts of problems in schools, at least ours.
Having to keep track of all photos, images on display, any copies of any results you may be working on, book lists that are hand written.
It's too much for too little people to work through.

But it may not be needed, but nobody is willing to be the first.
Lawyers are the biggest winners of all of this.
A Wikipedia page is just a brief oveeview., even the hours long videos we have to watch only give an overview.

So hence, ask you lawyer friend, not the forum.

hippy

Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:58 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
I think they did.

"Is it possible to point out the particular law or reason they were locked off for in the first place? "

The reason PM's have been turned off is because the legal advice the forum administrators received is that they should be turned off to ensure compatibility with GDPR and COPPA legislation and regulation, and, unless we're being lied to, that advice was sought, taken, accepted and followed.

You appear to want to know how and why the legal advisers came to their advice given, what the basis for their advice was, exactly how that fits with and sits against what relevant and related legislation and regulations say.

The forum administrators are under any obligation to provide that and they may not be able to provide that even if they wanted to, other than in generalised terms.

Your case seems to be arguing that the rationale for turning off PM's was wrong or faulty and you appear to be suggesting the legal advisers must prove their case. But they don't have to; not to you, I or anyone else.

You and everyone else are entitled to say the forum administrators made the wrong decision, present arguments why they should not have turned PM's off, argue that the legal advice they have received is wrong or faulty, but you cannot force anyone to justify their decision more than they are willing to justify it.

Unless it were so wrong or unjustified that there were grounds for pursuing that through the courts. And that does not seem to be the case here.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:31 pm

This has been done to death.

They are off, we won't be turning them on again, unless legal advice says we can. That legal advice will come from OUR lawyers, not random people on the web.

That's the way it is going to be. Sorry if some don't like it, but I would prefer any number of people not liking it to one inappropriate PM sent to a child.

Debate concluded. Please don't start any more threads.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “General discussion”