takmaze

Re: Other OS's?

Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:18 pm

Hello!

So I have seen the few distro"s mentioned in the FAQ that are supposed to work, but I was also wondering if it could also work with Chrome OS and whether it would be very restricted in which OS works on it?

Generalkidd

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:25 pm

Chrome OS might be able to work, but you'd need to find the ARM version of it. Most versions of it currently only support the x86 architecture. And besides, Chrome OS is really only supplied to OEM manufacturers at the moment and you can't really get it anywhere else.

Besides the Linux Distros that might work with this, I'm hoping that the ARM version of Windows 8 will also work with this. I'm just not sure if Windows 8 will be able to run off an SD card. I do know it has that new feature called Windows To Go which lets you run Windows 8 from a flash drive. Regardless, I have high hopes for Windows 8 and if it works on Raspberry Pi, I'll be pretty excited.

takmaze

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:31 pm

Ah, didn"t realise the ARM one was hidden away, I just assumed it was as easy to obtain as the x86 one.
As for Windows 8, not sure if that would work without some serious tweaking due to the memory requirements which are supposed to be the same as Windows 7. Maybe if it runs in shell mode only .
The reason I asked about Chrome is because I thought maybe this would make a good PC to have on an elderly relatives TV so they can try web stuff with a relatively simple interface.
Other things I wanna try to do is make a DNS server and a home CCTV system . Choices choices! Don"t wanna buy more than one to start with because that would be greedy!

SwampPuppet

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:40 pm

Actually I was wondering about the viability of FreeDOS. They released the first update in 5 years for it earlier this month.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeDOS

It seems they only support x86 architecture though, so that idea was just "Pi in the sky". Shame as DOS doesn't have he same whiff of cabbage and sandals as Linux.

Generalkidd

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Well, the minimum system requirements for Windows 8 require 1 GB of RAM as well as a DirectX 9 graphics card. Now I've seen Windows 7 run on hardware that's way below the minimum requirements. Of course you'll lack some of the visual effects of Windows 7, but other than that, it actually runs fine. I'd assume the ARM version of Windows 8 will have somewhat lower system requirements as ARM tablets currently can't match the processing power of more powerful Intel Atom and Intel Core i5 tablets. Essentially, it'll probably be a light-weight version of Windows 8.

I'm also interested in using Raspberry Pi to use for Web TV stuff. Really the only obstacle I forsee in doing everything you want is the ARM CPU. I know ARM is very popular for mobile devices, but that's pretty much the only place it's popular in. So unless you install a mobile OS like Android or Windows Phone, you're going to have a hard time finding compatible applications and drivers to use unless you program your own which is kind of the purpose of the Raspberry Pi. All you really need though is an OS that supports Adobe Flash and modern web standards. That'll let you browse the web and watch a lot of video content.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:45 pm

There are probably quite a few OS's that would run, (not windows 8 though - IMO).

The problem is getting someone to port the OS to the device. It generally not an easy task, and it won't be done by the Foundation (although help will be offered if necessary and it helps the foundation)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

jamesh

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:49 pm

Generalkidd said:

I'm also interested in using Raspberry Pi to use for Web TV stuff. Really the only obstacle I forsee in doing everything you want is the ARM CPU. I know ARM is very popular for mobile devices, but that's pretty much the only place it's popular in. So unless you install a mobile OS like Android or Windows Phone, you're going to have a hard time finding compatible applications and drivers to use unless you program your own which is kind of the purpose of the Raspberry Pi. All you really need though is an OS that supports Adobe Flash and modern web standards. That'll let you browse the web and watch a lot of video content.

I think Arm is going to get better market penetration over the next couple of years.

Compatible programs are MUCH more common that you state - but they are all Linux ones. The Debian archive contains thousands (?) of apps recompiled for Arm that work fine on the Raspi.

Also, I have succesfully compiled x86 Linux apps to Raspi Arm with no problems. Slow, but got there in the end.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Generalkidd

Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:13 pm

JamesH said:

There are probably quite a few OS's that would run, (not windows 8 though – IMO).

The problem is getting someone to port the OS to the device. It generally not an easy task, and it won't be done by the Foundation (although help will be offered if necessary and it helps the foundation)

JamesH said:

Generalkidd said:

I think Arm is going to get better market penetration over the next couple of years.

Compatible programs are MUCH more common that you state – but they are all Linux ones. The Debian archive contains thousands (?) of apps recompiled for Arm that work fine on the Raspi.

Also, I have succesfully compiled x86 Linux apps to Raspi Arm with no problems. Slow, but got there in the end.

Well, I guess the only applications I really need are drivers for peripherals like keyboard, mouse, wifi dongle, etc and Adobe Flash for watching web content. Unfortunately, the reality is that HTML5 hasn't really penetrated web multimedia yet and Flash/Silverlight still dominate the web. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that there's an ARM version of Adobe Flash for Ubuntu. Not sure if anyone has tried it out yet though.

As for Windows 8, I'm assuming it's pretty similar to Windows 7 under the hood, if not more streamlined. I read an article a few years ago that someone managed to install Windows 7 on a Pentium II PC with a minimum of 96 MB of RAM. But 128 MB was better. He also got it to run on a Pentium I CPU with similar RAM and 2 MB Video RAM. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/ne.....,8110.html

Clearly without a doubt, modern ARM CPU's including the ARM11 ones used in Pi are a lot more powerful than Pentium I & II CPU's and should have more video RAM than 2 MB. So if Windows 8 is anything like Windows 7 under the hood, then it might be able to run relatively well on the 256 MB version of Raspberry Pi. Now I don't know about performance though, I read other articles online that people tried a newer Pentium III PC and apparently it took 17 hours to install and almost 20 minutes to boot. But other people claim faster times of 1 hour install and a few minutes to boot. Windows 8 is designed to have faster install and boot times on weaker hardware.

tonycollinet

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:47 pm

But how are you going to port it without access to the source code. I don't think MS are going to do that for you - even if it were possible.

Generalkidd

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:52 pm

tonycollinet said:

But how are you going to port it without access to the source code. I don't think MS are going to do that for you - even if it were possible.

You don't need the Windows source code. Microsoft is releasing an ARM version of Windows 8 later this year. So it's just a matter of buying and installing. No porting necessary. The only concern is how well it will run on Raspberry Pi.

Jessie

Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:31 pm

Wrong.  You would need the source.

MS is releasing a version of Win 8 for ARM, but not this processor.  Each ARM processor out there is slightly different and requires different boot proceedures.  While the ARM licensed core tends to be consistant the rest is all different between ARM SOCs.  Microsoft themselvs have stated that Win 8 for ARM will only work with three SOCs but this tends to get edited out of most news sites.  They are targeting Tegra, OMAP, and Snapdragon only.  Therefore you would need the source to make it work on this particular Broadcom SOC, or convince Microsoft to re-compile for it.  This has been covered so many times in the forums, any simple search would have revealed it.

Return to “General discussion”