ghostrider513

I need to add sensors for a research project

Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:59 pm

Yup, I just bought my first Raspberry Pi 3B+. I need to add sensors for a research project and this RPi is going to be my instruments. I could use help.

I have no idea if I can add anything to this with my zero experience but I really want to try. At 60 years old things aren't as easy to learn but I'm stubborn.

Here's what I need to do:
I am researching atmospheric conditions inside and outside. I'll have two of these instruments when I'm through. One first. It has to accurately detect relative humidity, EMF, have two cameras set close like 3D cameras, a remote microphone and speaker, and be able to send data streams back to me for research. I'm visually, audibly and through data, mechanically collecting data.

I'd like it to be able to rotate towards the direction of where the data is coming from so the cameras capture any visual energy.

Eventually, this will be on a robot so it can move around areas and detect areas of disturbance. That adds mapping, robotics and autonomy for good measure.

I'm pretty smart, and comprehend real well. Videos work best for me. Seeing makes it easier to do the work if possible. Okay with live chat too.

Tell me what I need and I'll get it. Thanks in advance for the assist.
Mike

asandford

Re: Newbie Needs help

Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:58 pm

I use BME280s for temperature, humidity and pressure. What do you mean by EMF (Electromotive force or Electromagnetic field)?

The onboard camera interface only supports one input device (unless you use the compute module). There is no audio input on any Pi.

scotty101

Re: I need to add sensors for a research project

Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:09 pm

Sounds like you are going "Ghostbusting"
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

ghostrider513

Re: I need to add sensors for a research project

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:34 pm

scotty101 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:09 pm
Sounds like you are going "Ghostbusting"
Not Ghostbusting. But I am doing some para research. http://www.parapsych.us is my website if you're curious. I'm focusing on real science, not the crap you see on TV.

To do my research, which will be scrutinized heavily once published, I have to collect quality data.

That's why I'm trying to learn how to make the RPi work for me. Scientific instruments are expensive as Hell!. As a researcher based from home (I teach psychology at a university but I don't want them involved in my private work), I'm limited by my personal funding. RPi's are perfect for this scientific research. If they work. I finally chucked the DHT11 and 22 in the trash and now use a SHT31-D. It works well with my Arduino Uno and on the RPI 3B+ I have.

But, I'm not a computer coder guy. This stuff is hard for me. I just want to collect the data I now have from the SHT31-D and save it to my website database. I'll build a few other bots to do the same thing with IR cams and the like later on. This is my most important instrument so - oh, I can't figure out how to get the sensor to take multiple readings. I put in python sht31.py and it runs once... I need it to run continuously streaming data.

Return to “General discussion”