ianbfarley

Internal HDD Format

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:18 pm

Does anyone have a work-around for the FAT32 Format when trying to use an internal HDD. I am building a media server, and would like to be able to transfer larger files than the FAT32 formatting will allow. Any ideas?

HawaiianPi

Re: Internal HDD Format

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:41 am

What makes you think you must use FAT32?

Unlike Windows, Linux can use a wide variety of filesystems. The Linux ext4 filesystem is probably the most popular native filesystem. If you want to use something Windows compatible you can install ntfs-3g or exfat-fuse and exfat-utils for Windows compatibility with larger file sizes. There are a lot more filesystems which may or may not be advantageous, depending on what you want to accomplish.

Although I'm not really sure what you meant by "internal" hard drive? Internal to what? Certainly not a Raspberry Pi, since the Pi is smaller than even a laptop HDD.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

jahboater

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:51 am

+1
Assuming you are using Raspbian.
The main filesystem on you SD card will be ext4 (the / mount), so you are using it already.
Ext4 will give you the best performance and allows any size file up to 16 tebibytes!
It is native (built into the Linux kernel) so it is fast, reliable, and nothing need be installed to use it.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4

ghans

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:35 am

Just use ntfs-3g if you need Windows compatibility.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

n67

Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:25 pm

ghans wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:35 am
Just use ntfs-3g if you need Windows compatibility.

ghans
The central core problem with either ext4 or ntfs on removable devices is that average Joe User can't be trusted to remember to unmount it (*) before unplugging the device. And, for that matter, why should they? Why shouldn't they be able to just stick it, use it, and pull it out?

That's why the world is moving to exFAT for most things. exFAT represents a compromise between large capacity and no-need-to-unmount removability.

FWIW, I recently bought a 100Gb SSD - and it came formatted as exFAT. This rather surprised me.

(*) In Windows-speak, "Safely remove".
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

i486

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:01 pm

n67 wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:25 pm
...average Joe User can't be trusted to remember to unmount it (*) before unplugging the device.
I agree for exFAT but usually the internal HDD is not unplugged before power off.

SteveSpencer

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:10 pm

A Pi has no internal HDD.
It may have an SD card, in some shape or other, but not necessarily.
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

HawaiianPi

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:12 pm

SteveSpencer wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:10 pm
A Pi has no internal HDD.
It may have an SD card,
In which case it has an internal SSD... ;)

But yea, the "internal" thing confused me as well, especially in reference to hard drives.

Maybe the Pi is in one of those bigger "Desktop" cases with room for additional drives?

ianbfarley

Thu May 03, 2018 12:44 pm

I purchased the Makerfocus Raspberry Pi X820 2.5 Inch SATA HDD/SSD USB3.0 Storage Expansion Board Kit for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B/ 2B / B+. (See Wiki for installation - http://www.raspberrypiwiki.com/index.php/X820) The term "internal" HDD is referring to the typical installation of the HDD on a workstation or laptop. This is not a USB "External" HDD, it is 2.5" Laptop HDD that is compatible with the X820 board. Has anyone used this board to expand the HDD capacity? I just want to be able to transfer larger files to build my media library. I Could not find any documentation relating to this board and the FAT32 formatting. If this will not work, I was thinking about purchasing a WD MyCloud 6TB wifi storage HDD and just run PLEX or Kodi to stream from it.

drgeoff

Thu May 03, 2018 1:53 pm

ianbfarley wrote:
I purchased the Makerfocus Raspberry Pi X820 2.5 Inch SATA HDD/SSD USB3.0 Storage Expansion Board Kit for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B/ 2B / B+. (See Wiki for installation - http://www.raspberrypiwiki.com/index.php/X820) The term "internal" HDD is referring to the typical installation of the HDD on a workstation or laptop. This is not a USB "External" HDD, it is 2.5" Laptop HDD that is compatible with the X820 board. Has anyone used this board to expand the HDD capacity? I just want to be able to transfer larger files to build my media library. I Could not find any documentation relating to this board and the FAT32 formatting. If this will not work, I was thinking about purchasing a WD MyCloud 6TB wifi storage HDD and just run PLEX or Kodi to stream from it.
As already asked in the opening words of the first reply, why have you used FAT32? That filesystem has a 2 or 4 Gbyte file size limit irrespective of whatever OS it is used with. Not unique to RPis.

HawaiianPi

Thu May 03, 2018 4:54 pm

ianbfarley wrote:
I purchased the Makerfocus Raspberry Pi X820 2.5 Inch SATA HDD/SSD USB3.0 Storage Expansion Board Kit for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B/ 2B / B+.
As I said in the very first reply to this thread, format the drive with a different file system.

Since the drive will be used exclusively with the Pi computer, format it with the Linux ext4 file system.

Buying a different drive will not change anything if you use the FAT32 file system. The problem isn't the drive, it's the FAT32 file system.

Do note that reformatting the drive will erase everything currently on it, so backup any important data on the drive before formatting.

Johnson-xu

Wed May 30, 2018 3:20 am

Hi, i just find some guys also selling the X820 boards here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073CGQD9C
And i just fought that there is a topic here:
2. With a hard drive installed, could you eleminate the need for a micro sd card and boot straight from drive?
Please refer to the WIKI in last short description.(we have a topic 'How to boot from a USB Mass storage device on a raspberry pi 3' on the page)
Maybe this article can do something help.

Return to “General discussion”