Borner

Funambol on raspberry pi

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:59 pm

Hi,

does somebody has experience in running Funambol (http://www.funambol.com/opensource) on an raspberry?

It looks like this is an interesting server to sync Files, Contacts and Calendars between different clients.

Borner

Blaubär

Re: Funambol on raspberry pi

Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:15 pm

I think I read in a blog that someone succeeded in running Funambol on a Raspberry. But I can't find it anymore...
But it would be very interesting!

Blaubär

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:56 pm

I did it, I did it!!!
I got Funambol running on a Raspberry Pi.

Howto in short (will try to update it with pictures):

Download:
- funambol bin from the Sourceforge project page
- java 1.6 for arm v6 (I used the original by Oracle, however OpenJDK should do it as well)

Get a raspberry running with Raspbian Armel (keyboard layout, disk expansion, ssh etc.) and copy both Java as well as Funambol on the SD card.
Expand Java (I expanded in into /home/pi)
Expand Funambol (I installed it into /opt/Funambol and copied it into /home/pi to be able to cut files from it without superuser rights (me=linux noob))

- Cut the content in ./Funambol/tools/java/jre and paste it into a backup folder.
- Copy the downloaded Java to ./Funambol/tools/java/jre
- do not touch the tools.jar that is located in the lib folder of the OLD java - it is vital (funambol seems to run without it, but I was unable to sync)

Try to run it with the command "sudo /home/pi/Funambol/bin/funambol start"
After 2 minutes it should run, try it with "ps aux | grep funambol", if it shows funambol, it is running
As I do not have a monitor attached, I accessed the installation with the funambol configuration tool from a linux computer:
- Make sure to set the correct address of Funambol! In my case I had to set "http://192.168.178.22:8080/funambol/ds"

I managed to sync contacts and calendar with a Nokia Symbian phone, Android an ipad and Thunderbird. Perfect!

Blaubär

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:53 pm

I tried Java 8 ARMhf preview this morning. (I wanted to run Funambol w raspbian hardfloat).
Apparently it does not work. Can Software written for Java 6 just run on Java 8?

Return to “General discussion”