Taxicletter

Micro-USB gives bad connection

Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:54 pm

Hi,

Since a while, the micro-connector on my RPi 3 B gives a bad connection. The male-USB from the power supply can move and that way, sometimes it's powered off, or I get an underpower warning.

The power supply works fine on another Rpi 3 B+, so that's not the problem. The connector is still soldered tight to the RPI3 circuit-board. It must be something inside. With a sharp pointy knife, I can move in it, so there's no mayor dirt.

I could use a PowerBlock to create a new micro-connector, but I want to use a HifiBerry, so that option isn't possible.

How can I clean, test and/or repair the existing female micro USB on the Pi?
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Micro-USB gives bad connection

Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:24 pm

Taxicletter wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:54 pm
Hi,
Since a while, the micro-connector on my RPi 3 B gives a bad connection. The male-USB from the power supply can move and that way, sometimes it's powered off, or I get an underpower warning.
The power supply works fine on another Rpi 3 B+, so that's not the problem. The connector is still soldered tight to the RPI3 circuit-board. It must be something inside. With a sharp pointy knife, I can move in it, so there's no mayor dirt.
I could use a PowerBlock to create a new micro-connector, but I want to use a HifiBerry, so that option isn't possible.
How can I clean, test and/or repair the existing female micro USB on the Pi?
In my experience** it's usually the uUSB plug that fails long before the uUSB socket (by design). However, TBH, that's been with uUSB plugs connected to 'phone or tablet uUSB sockets - not had that problem with any of my Pi's and cables only used with a Pi.
Trev.
** IIRC, @jamesh mentioned similar uUSB plug failures/shorter lifetime than uUSB sockets in a thread we both commented some years ago.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Taxicletter

Re: Micro-USB gives bad connection

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:35 pm

Thank you.
I don't think this is the case this time. The plug works on another Raspberry Pi AND I have the same problem with another power supply, which also works on that Rpi.

EDIT: it's a little bit of both. The wire and plug I was using last time, indeed was damaged. But other microUSB-plugs work on the other RPI or other devices, but not on this one. So it is more sensitive then before.
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

Return to “General discussion”