PiExplorer3

How to make the Pi faster?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Hi,

Am new to this forum and to Rasberry Pi.

I purchased and set up an official element14 RP3B+ as per excellent instructions found on this site. Well done raspberrypi.org making set-up so easy! Enjoyed showing my kids - such great learning for both adults and kids alike!

Our startup helps families affected by dementia. While trying to keep costs low partly by avoiding hiring highly technical resources, we want to make technology a big part of our offering and customer service solution. We are considering providing using RPs as work computer for nurses who will primarily as virtual team from their homes with VOIP powered by RingCentral on softphones using a bluetooth and/or DECT headset on their mobile devices and the RP, plus Zoho Customer Relationship Management cloud software. RingCentral and Zoho are integrated and customer profiles need to be called up quickly when a customer calls a nurse so they can quickly get up to speed on case/customer facts.

I am currently testing the RP I just purchased using class 10 Kingston 16gb 45m/s sd card and a Samsung 27" LED Monitor described below, and older Apple keyboard and Dell mouse and a 2.1V power supply (non-official). Am finding it very slow for the above use and general web browsing. I havent even tested with VOIP yet and just web browsing is slow. I am meters away from a wifi modem/router or using Ethernet, and with four or five Chromium windows open I am experiencing 15-30 seconds to complete actions.

What can I tweak to make this RPI setup a faster web software and softphone tool? Is our startup company's use-case not well suited for this hardware or is our configuration the issue? Should I use a better SD card? Is Ubuntu Mate a better OS for this than Raspian? For our use case above, would we be better off using SAMSUNG Chromebook Plus described below or Lenovo Flex 11 that seem to handle everything we throw at them - does these contain a much faster process and does the 4gb RAM make a huge difference vs. the RP? Are the monitor specs described below an issue?

Your input much appreciated!

Cheers!

fruitoftheloom

Re: How to make the Pi faster?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:00 pm

PiExplorer3 wrote:
Hi,

Am new to this forum and to Rasberry Pi.

I purchased and set up an official element14 RP3B+ as per excellent instructions found on this site. Well done raspberrypi.org making set-up so easy! Enjoyed showing my kids - such great learning for both adults and kids alike!

Our startup helps families affected by dementia. While trying to keep costs low partly by avoiding hiring highly technical resources, we want to make technology a big part of our offering and customer service solution. We are considering providing using RPs as work computer for nurses who will primarily as virtual team from their homes with VOIP powered by RingCentral on softphones using a bluetooth and/or DECT headset on their mobile devices and the RP, plus Zoho Customer Relationship Management cloud software. RingCentral and Zoho are integrated and customer profiles need to be called up quickly when a customer calls a nurse so they can quickly get up to speed on case/customer facts.

I am currently testing the RP I just purchased using class 10 Kingston 16gb 45m/s sd card and a Samsung 27" LED Monitor described below, and older Apple keyboard and Dell mouse and a 2.1V power supply (non-official). Am finding it very slow for the above use and general web browsing. I havent even tested with VOIP yet and just web browsing is slow. I am meters away from a wifi modem/router or using Ethernet, and with four or five Chromium windows open I am experiencing 15-30 seconds to complete actions.

What can I tweak to make this RPI setup a faster web software and softphone tool? Is our startup company's use-case not well suited for this hardware or is our configuration the issue? Should I use a better SD card? Is Ubuntu Mate a better OS for this than Raspian? For our use case above, would we be better off using SAMSUNG Chromebook Plus described below or Lenovo Flex 11 that seem to handle everything we throw at them - does these contain a much faster process and does the 4gb RAM make a huge difference vs. the RP? Are the monitor specs described below an issue?

Cheers!

The Raspberry Pi whilst great for the price is not a Desktop Replacement PC @ $35

Zoho and Ring Central will not run on a Raspberry Pi running the de-facto Raspbian Stretch with RPD or any other Operating System at a speed and responsiveness that is acceptable.

This forum is for the Raspberry Pi & CM and as financed by RPF is not a place to discuss competitors products.
Retired disgracefully.....

k-pi

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:18 pm

To put it simply, the RPi is not your solution, you need a faster processor & more ram to have effective internet connectivity, especially over wifi.

Look for more capable equipment - the RPi is what it is, a great learning base, & an adequete replacement for a desktop if your needs are minimal. :)

DavidS

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:54 pm

I am strongly apposed to cloud based solutions, especially with patient critical information (like you are speaking).

Though if you must proceed in this bad path:

The Raspberry Pi 3B (or any other Raspberry Pi) is not the tool for your job. It is possible to have good fast responsive web browsing, though what you are looking to do is beyond the limits (as with script heavy pages you need to limit to no more than 2 open at a time in order to be responsive).

Please consider a non-cloud solution for your patient information.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

MaxVMH

Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:43 pm

Basically +1 for what everyone else has said.

I look at it this way: a Raspberry Pi is an alternative for a cheap 10 year old computer but with the added benefits of being ridiculously small and not consuming much energy.

It's for when you want to fool around with software without ruining the computer & OS you use every day. Or when you want some light-weight code or monitoring tool to run 24/7.
Webserver stack: 2x Pi 3B | 1x Pi 3B+ ||| Pi Zero W for fooling around

Working on a soccer prediction web app:
https://github.com/MaxVMH/mijnscore
Attempt at writing up-to-date tutorials on making a Raspberry Pi webserver:
http://blog.mijnscore.be/

Heater

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:35 pm

God forbid that any old, frail, and possible dementia sufferer has to rely on the services of this incompetent start up.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:43 am

PiExplorer3 wrote:
Our startup helps families affected by dementia. While trying to keep costs low partly by avoiding hiring highly technical resources, we want to make technology a big part of our offering and customer service solution. We are considering providing using RPs as work computer for nurses who will primarily as virtual team from their homes with VOIP powered by RingCentral on softphones using a bluetooth and/or DECT headset on their mobile devices and the RP, plus Zoho Customer Relationship Management cloud software.
You don't say where you are, but if it's in the US, let me remind you of one thing that applies: HIPAA. My recollection of HIPAA training was that every clause ended with "...5 years in Federal prison and a $250,000 fine." You *really* want to keep any medical and medical related data secure.

As for the thread title... The two fastest Pis I know of are the ones on board the ISS.

hommar

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:26 am

PiExplorer3 wrote:
You can test my optimized image for russian users.

Yes, It have russian user interface, but you can change it first run.

If you like it, I can make English version, or I can make Instruction for make English or other versions

PS I think Kingston SDs is not very good for rPIs. Best use Samsung EVO Plus 32Gb or If you want minimal money better use SanDisk Ultra 16Gb
Last edited by hommar on Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:40 am

Heater wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:35 pm
God forbid that any old, frail, and possible dementia sufferer has to rely on the services of this incompetent start up.
The OP has come here for valid advice, and this is your reply?
Sorry, we will not tolerate this kind of response on these forums.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

richlion2

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:54 am

PiExplorer3 wrote:
Hi,

Cheers!
Chromium is the most power hungry and memory hungry browser you can take and I wouldn't recommend to use it as a benchmark tool. But it also depends what are you doing in your web browser, without GPU acceleration (normally not enabled in Chrome) you would not be able to watch youtube. Install Midori and check the difference. For GPU acceleration you need to add more memory to GPU and some programs will not utilize it unless they are compiled with GPU acceleration. VLC is not.

You can also open the Terminal and run :
# top

This will display your memory, CPU usage you can monitor. See how Chromium performs and eats your memory. It can cause your system to stall and even hang. SWAP will go down to 0 Free and you can change the settings from 100 to 200.

Found in Google:
Raspbian uses dphys-swapfile, which is a swap-file based solution instead of the "standard" swap-partition based solution. It is much easier to change the size of the swap.

The configuration file is:

/etc/dphys-swapfile
The content is very simple. By default my Raspbian has 100MB of swap:

CONF_SWAPSIZE=100
My setting is 400.And it still takes 5 long minutes to open Skype in Midori.

Otherwise, an RPI it's not a PC replacement, but it's good you are willing to learn.

If you manage to open the terminal install the Midori web browser:

# sudo apt-get install midori

Type Y-es when prompted.
Last edited by richlion2 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

richlion2

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:08 am

PiExplorer3 wrote:

Cheers!
On this, you have to bare in mind Raspbian is 32-bit and is based on Gnome which is considered a light-weight desktop. If you chose UBUNTU Mate (I have not had the chance to test it) you may run into more performance problems. Some of them are 64 bit, but don't quote me on that. I am still in the early stages of exploring the RPI. Everyting depends on what software you need to run to do your task. If your software will run in a browser and you won't be watching movies at the same time, you actually may be ok.

I hope this helps.

Richard

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:26 am

richlion2 wrote:
PiExplorer3 wrote:

Cheers!
On this, you have to bare in mind Raspbian is 32-bit and is based on Gnome which is considered a light-weight desktop. If you chose UBUNTU Mate (I have not had the chance to test it) you may run into more performance problems. Some of them are 64 bit, but don't quote me on that. I am still in the early stages of exploring the RPI. Everyting depends on what software you need to run to do your task. If your software will run in a browser and you won't be watching movies at the same time, you actually may be ok.

I hope this helps.

Richard
Raspbian is tuned to the Raspberry Pi, it's the distro we use internally for testing and development, it's the first to be updated when changes are made. It's probably going to be the fastest option for the majority of tasks.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

fruitoftheloom

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:30 am

richlion2 wrote:
PiExplorer3 wrote:

Cheers!

I hope this helps.

Richard

Misinformation again.....

Raspbian is based of Debian ArmHF

Raspberry Pi Desktop is a fork of the LXDE Desktop Environment:

https://lxde.org

Midori Browser unlike the RPFs chromium-browser does not include Flash, which is still used by many web sites to deliver content.
Retired disgracefully.....

PeterO

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:37 am

richlion2 wrote:
On this, you have to bare in mind Raspbian is 32-bit and is based on Gnome which is considered a light-weight desktop.
I don't think you know what "gnome" means .... Have a look at https://www.gnome.org/
IME Gnome is one of the least "light-weight" desktops. If anything it is "full fat". What experience do you have of using gnome ?
And Raspbian does not use the gnome desktop, so it would seem you are not very well informed.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

richlion2

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:26 pm

PeterO wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:37 am
richlion2 wrote:
On this, you have to bare in mind Raspbian is 32-bit and is based on Gnome which is considered a light-weight desktop.
I don't think you know what "gnome" means .... Have a look at https://www.gnome.org/
IME Gnome is one of the least "light-weight" desktops. If anything it is "full fat". What experience do you have of using gnome ?
And Raspbian does not use the gnome desktop, so it would seem you are not very well informed.
PeterO
I know what Gnome is, my apologies for mixing Debian with Gnome and thank you for the correction. ;)
It does look like Gnome though, as I tried is a couple of times. Normally I used KDE and now I use Cinnamon.
My apologies yet again. Don't kill me yet :roll:
“It’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice.” ;)

droleary

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:55 pm

PiExplorer3 wrote:
with four or five Chromium windows open
If all the other replies haven't made it clear, this is likely why things are so slow for you. The best RPi only has 1GB of RAM, and even seemingly simple web pages can take 100+ MB to display. Set aside the ~200MB you want in reserve to run the OS and GUI, and you're at the edge of what the RPi can handle.

Find a solution that isn't web-centric. Native apps are going to get you a lot farther than using a browser as a kitchen sink.

DavidS

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:36 pm

If you need to have a remotely accessible database, you should do so in a way that does not require a web browser, and considers security as much as possible.

As to IP phone, there are many light weight options.

Yes you can do what you want on a Raspberry Pi, so long as you are willing to STOP thinking Cloud and Web.

If you are willing to consider a lightweight database application that runs natively, and is capable of retrieving data from your centralized server in a secure manner, then you will be able to use Raspberry Pi based systems.

If you are willing to use simple audio chat networked applications rather than a heavyweight voip, then yes you can do it on a Raspberry Pi.

There is nothing that you are attempting to do that is difficult to do on a much lower end system even. You just need to break the WEB app + Cloud box, these things will kill the idea before it gets off of the ground.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Return to “General discussion”