HawaiianPi

Re: Using your Pi with an SSD (Solid State Drive)

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:36 pm

mhristau wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:28 pm
Just ordered a MyDigitalSSD Super Boot 2 (SB2) SATA III (6G) SSD (128GB (120GB), mSATA (50MM))
Has anyone successfully paired the SSD with:

ELUTENG USB3 External Hard Drive Enclosure Clear 2.5 SATA to USB3 UASP Portable SSD Hard Drive Case Max 2T HDD Tool-Free Transparent for Samsung WD Intel
You ordered an mSATA SSD for use in a 2.5 inch drive enclosure? :?

The mSATA SSD will be smaller than a Raspberry Pi Zero. It's a small form factor drive, not a standard SSD, so it will not work in your 2.5 inch enclosure without an adapter. Adapters range from simple port interfaces to cases that make the mSATA look and fit like a standard 2.5 inch drive.

Here's a picture of my mSATA SSD in a port adapter connected to a SATA3-USB3 cable.
Click picture for a link to a similar product.

Or you could get a proper mSATA enclosure.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

mhristau

Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:40 pm

Oops
Think I got your original and this update thread mixed. Not to mention that Amazon paired the super boot with the 2.5" case. Thanks for originating this topic. Most helpful

HawaiianPi

Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:04 am

Ah yes, Amazon recommended products. I once had them recommend a box of condoms because I had Bluetooth headphones in my cart. Still trying to figure that one out... :?

sekrit_skworl

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:32 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:43 am
I finally received the $5.75 USB 3.0 SATA III adapter I bought on Amazon from a seller named Grandey, and it works great with USB boot on the Pi3B(+). Cold boot and restart work fine. In the pictures it looks nearly identical to the ELUTENG USB3 to SATA III Cable I discussed in the OP, but the one I received looks slightly different. It has a more rounded shape and a 2.5 inch longer USB cable (9.5 inch vs 7 inch total length).

The ELUTENG USB3 to SATA III Cable uses an ASMedia ASM1153 controller, and the new Grandey uses a JMicron JMS578. It shows up in Windows as a "sobetter Ext SCSI Disk Device" and in Raspbian as Bus 001 Device 005: ID 152d:0578 JMicron Technology Corp. Default firmware version is 2.0.4, so I might try and flash it to a more recent version, but it does work fine as delivered.

I tested the new adapter with the same two SSD models as before (Silicon Power A55 128GB 2.5 inch SATA and MyDigitalSSD 128GB Super Boot 2 mSATA in a 2.5 adapter). No issues booting or restarting with either on my Pi3B or 3B+ models.

One of these days I'll get around to running benchmarks on all this stuff. For now I can give you my subjective impressions. The MyDigitalSSD SB2 is a teeny-tiny bit faster than the SP A55 SSD, and both are very noticeably faster than a SanDisk Ultra A1 32GB micro-SD card. As for the two USB 3.0 SATA III adapters, I can't tell them apart in use (they both work great), but I do prefer the shorter cable of the ELUTENG USB3 to SATA III adapter (less clutter hanging off the side of my Pi).

With the "Grandey hot selling USB 3.0 to 2.5in SATA 3 Hard Drive Adapter Cable" and the Silicon Power A55 128GB 2.5 inch SSD you can get your Pi up and running from an SSD for well under fifty bucks (current prices are $5.75 and $38.99, for a total of $44.74), which is cheaper than some 128GB micro-SD cards. Just be prepared to wait a few weeks for the Grandey adapter, because it ships from China.

EDIT:
I posted a positive review of the Grandey USB-SATA adapter on Amazon, and now the price has jumped up to $7.75. Coincidence? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It was a great deal and worth the wait for $5.75, but at $7.75 I'd just spend a little more for the ELUTENG adapter with 2-day Prime shipping. It'll still set you back less than fifty bucks (ELUTENG USB-SATA = $9.96 + $38.99 for the SSD = $48.95).

Is it possible to encrypt an external drive (wd passport probably, in a way that it can only be accessed by a specific raspberry pi?

If so, is the true a video on it?

mhristau

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:36 am

I've received my super boot mSata SSD and the recommended "proper enclosure". Have spent several hours trying various procedures to get rasPi up and running from SSD. However, no go.

on the mSata, is what used to be on the microSD (I used Noobs installer for Raspian + all the updates and afterward Raspian desktop re-boots fine from microSD.)

now on microSD is one file: bootcode.bin

shutdown

plug in microSD (named "boot")
plug in SSD to USB port (named "boot")

re-boots from microSSD fine
displays the flow of textual system reports with lots of LED activity on the SSD
hangs at:
---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: VPS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown- block(179,7)

Thanks for any suggestions!

mhristau

Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:17 am

today I have

microSD (named "boot") with complete, updated Raspian Stretch
SuperBoot SSD in Eluteng USB adapter (named "boot") with clone of the microSD content.

running from terminal:

Code: Select all

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=23efbd1f-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait quiet splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles
I get:

bash: dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0: command not found
Are the changes listed in your previous "X850 mSATA SSD storage expansion board" posting incompatible with setup mentioned above?

LTolledo

Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:19 am

I encountered the same problem (its not an issue, its a problem) when I was trying to boot my Raspberry Pi Model B+ (not 3B+). Did the same procedure as you enumerated above. Was trying to use 240GB Sandisk SSD for the setup.

After 3 days I aborted doing the previous method, in the end the procedure below worked for me (edited it to coincide with your setup)

1. Freshly formatted FAT32 microSD card with just the bootcode.bin. Name the volume as BOOT (all capitals)

2. Freshly flashed 2018-06-27-raspbian-stretch.img on mSATA SSD. Do not change the volume name.

3. Insert/plug in the microSD card and mSATA in their respective ports

4. Power it up and let it boot.

4. After initial configuration changes, install favorite packages/apps.

For testing, I also did this method on my RPi3B and RPi3B+, works fine. No problems encountered.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

HawaiianPi

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:08 am

mhristau wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:36 am
I used Noobs installer for Raspian + all the updates and afterward Raspian desktop re-boots fine from microSD.
I don't use NOOBS, I always write Raspbian images with Etcher. From what I've read, NOOBS can work, but I've never tried it. Hopefully someone who knows more about NOOBS can help you out.
now on microSD is one file: bootcode.bin
I think bootcode.bin SD cards only work with Raspbian images.

I write Raspbian images directly to my SSD with Etcher (same procedure as writing a micro SD card). I can then boot the SSD directly from USB on a Pi3B+ (if you have the older Pi3B then you need to set a one time programmable bit to enable USB boot).

LTolledo wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:19 am
I encountered the same problem (its not an issue, its a problem) when I was trying to boot my Raspberry Pi Model B+ (not 3B+).
The model B+ cannot boot directly from USB. Only the 3B, 3B+ and possibly the 2Bv1.2 can boot directly from USB. The other models must have at least bootcode.bin on a FAT32 formatted SD card. Depending on how old your Raspbian is, you may need to edit cmdline.txt and /etc/fstab as well. Raspbian images from 2017-04-10 on are ready for USB boot, although newer models like the Pi3B+ may still require a more up to date version (it's usually best to use the latest version).

pilover1986

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:40 am

Holly molly that's a good Idea never thought it will be supported. Thanks for this.

mhristau

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:45 am

>content of this post has been removed<
It was rife with the misleadings of a noob.
With recent versions of Raspian + (Etcher app) the addition of external storage quite simple.

See recent replies.
Last edited by mhristau on Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pws

Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:14 pm

Page 3 and the bit on formatting on page 5 should be deleted. Formatting the SD card and USB device is a wasted step and has caused some confusion.

mhristau

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:57 pm

@PWS
So, formatting is unnecessary?

HawaiianPi

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:25 am

mhristau wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:57 pm
@PWS
So, formatting is unnecessary?
The Raspbian images contain the filesystems needed. Everything is in the image. Partitions, filesystem formatting and data. When you write an image to an SD card or USB drive, anything previously on the drive is overwritten, so it doesn't matter what was previously on the drive. You can format it with any filesystem or partitioning scheme, and none of that will remain after an image has been written.

So no, formatting is not needed and is completely redundant, unless you are erasing old data for security purposes, in which case a full overwrite format is sufficient for flash memory devices, but mechanical hard drives will need additional steps.

Oh, and you don't need to extract the image when using Etcher to write it. Etcher can extract the image on the fly as it writes.

NHmetalhead

Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:14 pm

Wow, there are some great projects here. I'm getting lots of wonderful ideas from this thread.

@HawaiianPi What are those small blue cable clips called? I've been searching for them using various terms, but I have not had any luck finding out what they are. I'd love to purchase a bunch for my own projects. They look much nicer than my usual solution of zip ties!

Cheers.

HawaiianPi

Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:10 am

NHmetalhead wrote:
@HawaiianPi What are those small blue cable clips called? I've been searching for them using various terms, but I have not had any luck finding out what they are. I'd love to purchase a bunch for my own projects. They look much nicer than my usual solution of zip ties!

Cheers.
If you are referring to the cable tie, like the one in this picture,
it's this:
Nite Ize Original Gear Tie, Reusable Rubber Twist Tie

NHmetalhead

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:58 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:10 am
NHmetalhead wrote:

Cheers.
it's this:
Nite Ize Original Gear Tie, Reusable Rubber Twist Tie
Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for.

LTolledo

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:38 pm

@HawaiianPi

what other SATA to USB 3.0 adaptors have you tested that worked well (worked well like the Eluteng Adaptor)?
I find the Eluteng adaptor's cable short for use with the Quattro case.

Some people be like:

HawaiianPi

Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:33 am

LTolledo wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:38 pm
@HawaiianPi

what other SATA to USB 3.0 adaptors have you tested that worked well (worked well like the Eluteng Adaptor)?
I find the Eluteng adaptor's cable short for use with the Quattro case.
The Sabrent USB 3.0 to SSD/2.5-Inch SATA I/II/IIIHard Drive Adapter (EC-SSHD) has also worked well for me. It has a 2ft (0.6M) cable, and even an activity LED.

LTolledo

Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:22 am

Thanks! I think I'll put it in my next shopping cart...

but before that, can you please verify if it uses the same ASMedia ASM1153E chipset as the Eluteng adaptor?
am having hard time getting access to the Sabrent products webpage.

Some people be like:

HawaiianPi

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:44 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:22 am
... but before that, can you please verify if it uses the same ASMedia ASM1153E chipset as the Eluteng adaptor?
I believe Sabrent uses a JMicron chipset, but with their own custom firmware.

markost

Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:58 am

Hi,
here are some information about the KingDian SSD (S100 +, 16GB, 1.8 ", SATA2) and SATA to USB (22 Pin SATA to USB 3.0), tested on Raspberry Pi 3B.

Set RPI with program_usb_boot_mode = 1.

Test 1:

RPi is powered by a Xiaomi smartphone charger (originally), declared as 5V / 2A.

NO to boot from the SSD.
YES to boot from SD card.

Test 2:

RPi is powered with a rectifier declared as 5V / 3A.

YES to boot from SSD.
Sometimes REBOOT works, sometimes it does not work.
NO to start with the reset PIN on the PCB.

Measured voltage on SATA USB adapter is approx. 4.9xx V-5.08xx V (from power up to full operating system).

I concluded that the voltage on the SATA / USB adapter is fine and that this could be a problem with the low current.

I disconnected the adapter, desolder all the wires (for USB 3.0 are on one side of the PCB, and for USB 2.0 are on the other side of the PCB).

These wires are very thin. I replaced wires with a thickness (10cm breadboard wires, male to male).
I solder only USB 2.0 side.

The final result is:

YES to boot from SSD.
YES to REBOOT.
YES to start with the PIN reset on the PCB.

All this is working now with the Xiaomi charger or rectifier.

The voltage measured with the Xiaomi charger on the SATA USB adapter (after modification) is approx. 4.6xx V - 4.8xx V.

I do not recommend power RPI over the smartphone charger.

SATA to USB is at JMicron chipset.

SSD

SATA/USB

Risque

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:54 am

I use the Element 14 Pi Desktop case on a 3B+, it has a USB to m.sata board and an on/off switch. Works very well, though I had to cut a hole in the base for an underside heat sink. If you use this case, you can setup the system by hooking up to a PC and power, then use Balena Etcher to install the Raspbian image direct to the installed drive, in mine a 128gb , which etcher will recognise. Once verified, shutdown and setup your Pi desktop with kb, mouse and screen and boot. You can also install from sd card, as usual, but to the ssd, system boot times are a few seconds faster WITH ssd install for some reason. But system performance with the image on SSD is superior either installation method.

JamSos

Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:42 am

Hello,
I am trying to set up the same rig as you using an ssd connected via SATA cable. I have just one question: what format is your SSD in? I am having no luck with NTFS
Regards,
Samuel

Fraoch

Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:12 pm

JamSos wrote:
Hello,
I am trying to set up the same rig as you using an ssd connected via SATA cable. I have just one question: what format is your SSD in? I am having no luck with NTFS
Regards,
Samuel
NTFS is a Windows format. Linux can work with it, but in a roundabout way using the ntfs-3g package. Not ideal.

The drive needs to be formatted ext4. To do this from a running Pi, see the second part here:

https://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmar ... usb-drives
Pencoed-made Model 1B, Samsung memory
2B 1.1
3B+
4B 2GB

HawaiianPi

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:07 am

JamSos wrote:
I have just one question: what format is your SSD in? I am having no luck with NTFS
If you want to boot and run the Pi from your SSD the format doesn't matter, because the Raspbian image will overwrite anything previously on the drive (so backup important data before writing an image).

If you are booting from SD card and just trying to use the SSD for storage, and you only plan on using it with the Raspberry Pi or Linux OS, then formatting with the ext4 filesystem, as recommended above, would be your best option. However, if you also want to be able to plug the SSD into a Windows computer, then you can keep it NTFS for compatibility, and install the ntfs-3g package in Raspbian (for read/write access).

sudo apt install ntfs-3g

You should also research the Linux mount command to learn how to mount the drive with proper write privileges (although Raspbian with desktop versions should automatically do that for you).

Return to “General discussion”