ivarfresh

Black screen while raspberry is on

Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a raspberry pi 3 and installed it. Everything worked fine, but the other I wanted to install the following

Ubuntu Xenial 16.04 and Windows Subsystem for Linux

sudo apt install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty universe"
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo update-alternatives --config x86_64-w64-mingw32-g++ # Set the default mingw32 g++ compiler option to posix.

After the second code line I got a message saying warning low disk space and another program, that worked well at first crashed and wouldn't reopen. Then i tried to reboot my raspberry, it shut off, but now it won't start again. I'm using vnc viewer to view the raspberry screen and now all I see on VNC viewer is a black screen. The red and green light on the raspberry are both on. Does anyone know how to fix this?

It would be really amazing if someone could!

Thanks in advance

itimpi

Re: Black screen while raspberry is on

Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:05 pm

You have almost certainly messed up your Pi installation!

The repository you added is for software designed to run on Intel compatible CPUs (as are typically used in PCs or Macs). Such software is not compatible with the ARM processor that is on your Pi.

klricks

Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:11 pm

You will need to download Raspbian and do a fresh install.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:43 pm

ivarfresh wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:05 pm
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a raspberry pi 3 and installed it. Everything worked fine, but the other I wanted to install the following

Ubuntu Xenial 16.04 and Windows Subsystem for Linux

sudo apt install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty universe"
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo update-alternatives --config x86_64-w64-mingw32-g++ # Set the default mingw32 g++ compiler option to posix.

After the second code line I got a message saying warning low disk space and another program, that worked well at first crashed and wouldn't reopen. Then i tried to reboot my raspberry, it shut off, but now it won't start again. I'm using vnc viewer to view the raspberry screen and now all I see on VNC viewer is a black screen. The red and green light on the raspberry are both on. Does anyone know how to fix this?

It would be really amazing if someone could!

Thanks in advance

"x86_64" why would you install software for a completely different CPU Architecture ??
Retired disgracefully.....

ivarfresh

Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:47 pm

klricks wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:11 pm
You will need to download Raspbian and do a fresh install.
AAh oke thanks! So just delete the content on the sd card and install raspbian again?

ivarfresh

Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:50 pm

"x86_64" why would you install software for a completely different CPU Architecture ??
[/quote]

I was trying to download a program and the instructions gave the above mentioned command lines. I'm not very technical myself so didn't know that x86_64 is a different CPU system.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:00 pm

ivarfresh wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:50 pm
I was trying to download a program and the instructions gave the above mentioned command lines. I'm not very technical myself so didn't know that x86_64 is a different CPU system.
[/quote]

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/news/u ... x86-cores/
Retired disgracefully.....

Return to “General discussion”