Beorn_Bear

What is the optimum split of main versus GPU memory?

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:07 am

What is the optimum split of main versus GPU memory for a Raspberry Pi 3 B+?! The default configuration is 64. Would 128? 250? what would provide the best performance balance?

rpdom

Re: What is the optimum split of main versus GPU memory?

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:11 am

That depends on what you are using your Pi for. Most of mine run headless, so have no need for large amounts of GPU RAM, therefore they are set to the minimum possible.

For general graphics display I have mine set to 64MB or 128MB with camera. More may be needed, depending on the application.

Beorn_Bear

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:15 am

Would it be better to use 128 for YouTube, NetFlix, videos or gaming?!

Imperf3kt

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:25 am

Not enough. Try 192, 224 or 256 for those tasks.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

richlion2

Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:34 pm

Hello,

I would have the same question. My colleague told me he is running his PI (probably ver. 3) as a media player and has no problem playing Blue-ray movies. I have the newest RPI 3 B+ and movies in .mp4 format don't acutally run, tried VLC and SMPlayer. I tried to set the memory allocation to 512 and still the same. VLC plays it but it's a black screen and SMPlayer plays but it's horribly jittery, so what's the catch?

At the moment I reverted to 64 as I mainy stream a radio station and one or two browsing sessions using Midor, which is far more better than Chrome.

I also adjusted my SWAP to 4GB, as with the default running Chrome causes the machine to stall. I monitored the SWAP usage and as I added more it would be used a lot. Especially when you want to do some picture viewing and copying files across drives.

Thanks,
Richard

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:40 pm

Normal VLC does not play video's, as it doesn't use GPU acceleration, you need a special version.
But you would be much better off with the default video player for the PI omxplayer, viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5543 or the GUI version of it omxplayerGUI viewtopic.php?t=75602

fruitoftheloom

Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:48 pm

richlion2 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:34 pm
Hello,

I would have the same question. My colleague told me he is running his PI (probably ver. 3) as a media player and has no problem playing Blue-ray movies. I have the newest RPI 3 B+ and movies in .mp4 format don't acutally run, tried VLC and SMPlayer. I tried to set the memory allocation to 512 and still the same. VLC plays it but it's a black screen and SMPlayer plays but it's horribly jittery, so what's the catch?

At the moment I reverted to 64 as I mainy stream a radio station and one or two browsing sessions using Midor, which is far more better than Chrome.

I also adjusted my SWAP to 4GB, as with the default running Chrome causes the machine to stall. I monitored the SWAP usage and as I added more it would be used a lot. Especially when you want to do some picture viewing and copying files across drives.

Thanks,
Richard

Try omxplayerGUI:

viewtopic.php?t=40860
I am a volunteer, take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail.

richlion2

Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:28 pm

It seems I would have to compile my own version of VLC with GPU accleleration. There is something here, although not very complete:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=83406

Hmm, there seems to be a proper tutrial:
https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/tutoria ... ax-il/3585

Thanks
Richard

fruitoftheloom

Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:33 pm

richlion2 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:28 pm
It seems I would have to compile my own version of VLC with GPU accleleration. There is something here, although not very complete:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=83406

Thanks
Richard

Yep the original poster has various posts, seems like we are going around in circles, VLC, Kodi etal but not the default omxplayer.................
I am a volunteer, take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail.

richlion2

Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:13 am

And the same goes from browsers, Chromium has options to utilize GPU acceleration, but Chr. shows disabled for Linux.
https://www.pcsuggest.com/chromium-hard ... ing-linux/

Ohhh, but it says there there is beta version of Chr.
2. Install Chromium Beta with hardware acceleration enabled
I tried Forefox, don't seem to have the right options.

Kodi seems to be the option to play things like Blue ray and videos:
https://kodi.wiki/view/Raspberry_Pi_FAQ
There are two acceleration options on the Pi. "omxplayer" runs much of the player logic on the gpu which is highest performance option and can handle raw Blu-Ray quality videos. It does not support DVD menus or ALSA audio.
Ah, one more...
https://elinux.org/Omxplayer

Richard
“It’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice.” ;)

Return to “General discussion”