Roken

How expensive does "The Pi Bug" get?

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:12 pm

I picked up a Pi 3B around a month or so ago from CeX. I was slightly drunk at the time, with no idea what I was going to use it for.

After reading and playing, I settled on a Plex server, and so bought a 1Tb USB drive that I could plug into my router and mount as NFS, and copied all music/video/photo files to it, and life was good.

At weekend, I discovered RetroPie, and since I had a spare 32Gb SDCard, decided to give it a go. Once running, I went and purchased a new game controller to use instead of the (frankly horrible) Steam controller that I have, and on Sunday, I retro played Tomb Raider and Croc for longer than I should on the PS1 emulation, but life was good. Except, whilst I'm playing, my Plex server is not running, and my main rig is unplugged from the monitor.

So I bought an HDMI switcher and new HDMI cable. Now my main rig can be going, and a touch of a button will switch between the Pi and my desktop. Life was kinda good.

But it's either Plex, or retro, so I've just ordered a Pi 3B+ and case. When it arrives, life will be good again, until I find something else. (EDIT, and despite the thread questioning them, I went with The PiHut, and I'm confident they'll deliver)

I'm reminded of when I took up vaping instead of smoking, and at first it was good and inexpensive, but then you buy newer and better kit. I feel the Pi is headed down the same route.

Does it ever stop, or am I destined to have a full bank of them purposed to different jobs?
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

PeterO

Re: How expensive does "The Pi Bug" get?

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:16 pm

I look at it this way...
When Apple produce a new product their fans spend £100s on the latest product.
When RPF produce a new product we (pi fans) spend ~£32 on the latest product.

:lol:

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Roken

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:21 pm

It's not the Pi per se. It's the extra stuff you buy that starts mounting up lol.
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

Heater

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:30 pm

I don't know what to suggest.

I have been collecting SBC's, dev boards for this and that and all kind of other electronic components for decades.

They all had a fascination and a purpose at the time. A project in mind.

Mostly they get left in the junk box when the next new "shiny thing" comes along and grabs my attention. Or life takes a different turn. The junk box is now huge. There is no way I'm going to get 1% of those imagined projects done in what is left of my life span.

But I can't throw them out, that is wasteful, and besides they might come in handy one day.....

And then came the Pi. The Pi seem to grow like weeds around the place. That is OK perhaps, I have never lavished so much expense on them.

It's a kind of insanity. What to do...

MaxK1

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:33 pm

I have no idea ... Hey cool, my 15th Pi (A pi 3B+) just arrived.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:34 pm

To answer the question posed in the subject line... How much money do you have?

As for the last line of the OP...No, it never stops.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:35 pm

MaxK1 wrote:
Only 15? Piker...

DougieLawson

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:40 pm

MaxK1 wrote:
My RPi3B+ is my fifteenth.
Five 1Bs, one A+, one B+, two 2Bs, one zero, one zero W, three 3Bs, one 3B+
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Heater

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:42 pm

It never stops.

I guess as long as you can keep things under control and refrain from mugging people in the street in order to get you next Pi fix it's OK.

Probably your wife and children, should you have any, would rather keep the family home rather than you buy more Pi.

MaxK1

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:44 pm

If they would get them out in numbers to Microcenter I'd probably buy more... I ordered 1 from Adafruit that took 4 days to get from Manhattan to New Jersey and 5 more to Minnesota. The shipping charges alone will kill you. But, you get a new Pi, so the pain goes away pretty quick!
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

DougieLawson

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:17 pm

MaxK1 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:44 pm
... I ordered 1 from Adafruit that took 4 days to get from Manhattan to New Jersey ...
It's normal if my experience getting from Newark, NJ Airport (EWR) to JFK, Long Island, NY Airport (JFK) is anything to go by.

Starting at 11:00pm on Friday night (my flight from Grand Rapids, MI was an hour delayed). There seemed to be a bit of a rush hour, not helped by them closing some tunnels for road works. I, finally, got to the Hilton at JFK at 1:00am on Saturday morning, was in bed at 1:30am. Up at 5:30am (that hotel room cost $40/hour) for my 9:05am flight back to Heathrow (LHR).
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Imperf3kt

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:24 pm

Unlike every other poster here, I can control my impulses. I have three Pis, one is dead due to an indeterminate cause.

I let my budget control how many Pi I buy, and right now it is refusing to let me buy any more. I pretty much had every accessory I required when I bought my first api, except a portable screen.

Though, I will admit that yesterday I did drop $13 on some electronic components. Oh and there was that one time I dropped $500 on a 3D printer, specifically for prototyping parts for use in various Pi projrcts.

Okay, so maybe I've got the 'bug' too, just with less Pi.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

MaxK1

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:50 pm

As long as it doesn't dig in to the beer fund, I'm OK with it. When it does, I'll have a tough decision to make ;-)

One way to save a bit is to shop at surplus and thrift stores. I have picked up (good!) HDMI cables and USB cables for under $1.00 each, and heavy duty (5V, 3A - 13A) power supplies for less than a wimpy 2A wall wart... Repurposing older 80G-250G HDD's or buying (unused) drives on clearance. If I can just figure out how to get the HDMI TV off the wall without the family noticing.... :-) You don't need a spendy SD card if you just boot from it and run from a USB drive. 4G cards from Microcenter are more than good enough to boot from.

Heater

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:38 pm

Imperf3kt,
Unlike every other poster here, I can control my impulses....

...I let my budget control how many Pi I buy...
My logic sensors detect a contradiction here.

MaxVMH

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:53 pm

It's called GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) and don't worry, lot's of people have it :twisted:
Webserver stack: 2x Pi 3B | 1x Pi 3B+ ||| Pi Zero W for fooling around

Working on a soccer prediction web app:
https://github.com/MaxVMH/mijnscore
Attempt at writing up-to-date tutorials on making a Raspberry Pi webserver:
http://blog.mijnscore.be/

Heater

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:33 pm

Oh boy, as I get older I find I suffer from GAS more and more.

Imperf3kt

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:39 pm

Heater wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:38 pm
Imperf3kt,
Unlike every other poster here, I can control my impulses....

...I let my budget control how many Pi I buy...
My logic sensors detect a contradiction here.
Indeed you did.
Extensive logic tests need to be performed on all future posts.

Maybe I should buy a Pi to automate the process... I think I'll name the program 'Iron-E', for ironing out my electronic wrinkles.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

jbudd

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:48 pm

I'm currently in Brazil, and the only thing that has saved me from lashing out £50 (£50 !!!) on a Raspberry Pi with a blue PCB is the very timely release at home of the Pi 3B+.

So I reckon the RPF has saved me £16 this month. Thanks!

Heater

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:54 pm

Imperf3kt,
Extensive logic tests need to be performed on all future posts.
That's a great idea.

If a Pi could automate the process then we would not need those pesky moderators butting in all the time. And it would free up their time to do better things. Like, make more Pi.

In the meantime, I'm here to check your logic. As fallible as I may be.

Gavinmc42

Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:45 pm

My finance manager has me on a very tight budget ;)
Still I did stop counting after about 20 :lol:
Hate to think how many I would have otherwise :D

It is not really the cost of the Pi's that gets you, it is how much do you value your time spent learning them.
They say it takes 10,000 hours to get good at something, I estimate I am about half way there.
Put your own hourly rate on those hours and you get close to the cost of these little things.

What price do you put on learning?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

k-pi

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:14 pm

These little SOC computers just seem to multiply, I bought one, my first, somewhere about July last year, & I've just got my 3rd the other week - this is definately getting to be as bad as my harmonica & ukulele buying! :lol:

jahboater

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:39 pm

I lost count of how many Pi's I have bought over the years.

I wonder, how many Pi "enthusiasts" there are - the sort of people that will automatically and immediately buy the next Pi model when it arrives, even if they don't actually need one. Compared with other SBC's that sort of guaranteed market the Pi has must be significant.

My Pi3's were doing absolutely fine before the Pi3B+ arrived, but I now have two 3B+'s and the old Pi3's are in the drawer probably to be given away at some point. There is nothing the Pi3 can do that the Pi3B+ cannot do better.

MaxK1

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:39 pm

Perhaps the Foundation could offer a 12 step program.

Similar to the drug cartels rehab programs...

Burngate

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:24 pm

I used to think of a cool project, sketch out what was needed, and start buying.
Invariably my original idea was half-baked - it wouldn't work as first thought, so had to be modified, which meant more buying.

Eventually I'd get it working, at least in part, but in the meantime extra addons would be seen as needed for extra coolness, which meant more buying.

But by that time other projects would have been thought of, which would take time and buying, so the first project would drift to the back of the bench, just waiting for the time and money to get finished and installed.

So now, the back of the bench is full of really cool in principle but half-baked in practice half-finished ... stuff. Half of which I don't recognise, it's so long ago I started them.

Now I think I've mastered the problem.

Instead of the buying phase, I just make a shopping list on my laptop.
And Write a short description of what it's supposed to do.
Then a circuit diagram, and a rough outline of the code.

Of course the code wouldn't work as-is, so work needs doing on it, and that throws up problems with the circuit as drawn, but they do eventually approach congruence, and may even show the way to extra coolness.

So we approach the dreaded buying phase.
But hang on - how much can we check out before we buy? We don't yet need those extras we were going to buy if we can make an LED or a buzzer stand in for the Harrier's rudder, or another Pi pretend to be the Pegasus engine control.
The more we can do virtually the less we have to buy.

So now my laptop is getting full of half-finished half-assed projects, most of which I don't recognise.

The latest project was started when my front door got changed from plain wood to all-singing-and-dancing fancy plastic.
The door-bell was wired through the wooden surround, but that has to change.

So a Pi-zero W with a button, connected by WiFi to another inside with a speaker and amp. Simple you may think.
Previously I would have bought on day one, but now ...

Apart from the obvious coolness of a camera attached, and of course solar-powered with battery back-up, we'd like it to play a tune depending on what facial recognition would find.

But what sort of sound should it make? A buzz is no good - we'd really like something that sounds like bagpipes, or maybe church bells.

What makes a church bell sound like it does?

So now, before we start working out the details of the project, we have to find out what it's going to do.

The first thing to note is it doesn't sound its fundemental - it only has 2nd, 3rd, and higher harmonics.
But there's a lot more to it than that.

I'm going to start with just half a dozen harmonics to see what it sounds like.

But the maths of even that small number gets complicated, because each one affects the rest, as if you've got a point wandering around a six-dimensional space and you want it to slowly (but not too slowly) approach the origin.

So that's where I am now.
Several months of time-wasting, terabytes of software written, and nothing bought! Not even an LED!

W. H. Heydt

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:40 pm

jbudd wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:48 pm
I'm currently in Brazil, and the only thing that has saved me from lashing out £50 (£50 !!!) on a Raspberry Pi with a blue PCB is the very timely release at home of the Pi 3B+.

So I reckon the RPF has saved me £16 this month. Thanks!
What? You're not going to be the first non-Brazilian to own a blue Pi3B+?

Return to “General discussion”