rowan.bradley

Create LAN-to-Bluetooth Bridge

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:32 pm

I need to interface from a PC to some Bluetooth devices that are too far away from the PC to get a good Bluetooth connection. I have WiFi and wired Ethernet throughout the house, so I suppose I need a small device that will create a Bluetooth zone near the devices, and connect to the PC either via WiFi or via wired Ethernet. What would be involved in creating such a thing from an RPi? What hardware would I need? What would the software look like? Has anyone already done this? Is there a better or cheaper way of doing it?

Many thanks - Rowan

PhatFil

Re: Create LAN-to-Bluetooth Bridge

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:57 pm

what do you mean by 'interface with' ?
Sitting a Bluetooth enabled Pi within range, adding it to your network either by lan or wifi and then using putty or vnc to remotely connect to the pi from your pc. letting you pair or connect to with a virtual serial connection depending on what services are offered is pretty much out of the box functionality.

google 'headless pi setup' ;)

more details of what you want to do would help .

rowan.bradley

Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:45 pm

The particular devices that I am currently trying to use are a Bluetooth radiator valve. I need to be able to send the valve commands to open or close the valve, and maybe to part open it (i.e. open it to e.g. 75%). The device also incorporates a temperature sensor, so I need to be able to read values from it. It also stores a temperature profile (a sequence of temperatures and start and stop times) which i need to be able to read from it and send to it. It also can report on its battery charge level, which I need to be able to read.

Does this help?

The headless Pi approach may work, but if there was a cheaper way that might be preferable. This seems such a simple problem that I feel sure that a simple solution exists somewhere...

Thanks - Rowan

Douglas6

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:14 pm

Do you know the Bluetooth commands to operate the devices? Do you have the the PC source code? It sounds like a proprietary device, so those may not be public. At any rate, I doubt you would find a simple off-the-shelf solution.

rowan.bradley

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:28 am

I am trying to get the commands from the manufacturer. I know that this may well be a proprietary protocol, and that they may not want to tell me the commands. However I may be able to deduce them by sniffing the comms between my smartphone app and the device (assuming of course that they are not encrypted). Obviously understanding the commands is a prerequisite for what I am trying to do...

Thanks - Rowan

Douglas6

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:18 pm

If you have the command set, (I suspect it's BLE) it shouldn't be too hard with some BLE and network programming knowledge. The only hardware you'd need would be a Pi 0w and power supply.

PhatFil

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:58 pm

good luck getting the commands from the manufacturer..

this may help you attempt to decode the devices data and attempt a hack http://www.raspberry-pi-geek.com/Archiv ... (offset)/4

If it employs ble or a more traditional virtual serial connection then its doable With the command codes

a £10 Pi-Zero-W + 5v psu is all the hardware needed

Return to “General discussion”