Vindicator

Re: Raspi composite video resolutions

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:59 am

I have done numerous searches and have not found any definitive information on what resolutions are supported when the composite video is used, The HDMI resolutions are well apparent.

Has anyone with a Raspberry pi posted the resolutions supported for composite mode, I know it is not the favored video but I am interested in what these resolution might be.

Thank you.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

lworbey

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:45 am

I am also interested in this, I have been looking at in car tft screens that all seem to run at 480x234, is this a suitable resolution?

Vindicator

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:02 am

I too have been looking at the car screens to make an inexpensive portable, It would be nice to have a general idea of what it supports before purchasing a screen.

I have been looking more to the backup camera ones as they usually have 2 composite inputs.

Very few people seem to be interested in the composite capabilities of this device, which I believe is the most likely video to be used in homes by students that don't have a computer already available to them.

I would think that a cheap composite capable TV is easier and more likely to find at a yard sale than a TV capable of HDMI.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

na1pir

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:52 am

I think it is something like 480i. It might be even higher...

Well this is just a guess, because roku2 xs uses same SoC and it's output over composite is 480i.

eyec0n

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:53 am

You are gonna want to wait for a tutorial on hooking up an LCD screen or try to find a small monitor with hdmi/dvi input. The composite video output I think was added because it fits with the foundations core values. People using the device might not have a new monitor or the money to get one, thus having a composite video out allows the device to be used on standard televisions with RCA inputs (I hated using a computer on sdtv!!!). I'm gonna assume that your limited to 480i on resolution. I know when I used S-Video on my old old old htpc I was able to get a max resolution of 800x600.

Vindicator said:

I too have been looking at the car screens to make an inexpensive portable, It would be nice to have a general idea of what it supports before purchasing a screen.

I have been looking more to the backup camera ones as they usually have 2 composite inputs.

Very few people seem to be interested in the composite capabilities of this device, which I believe is the most likely video to be used in homes by students that don't have a computer already available to them.

I would think that a cheap composite capable TV is easier and more likely to find at a yard sale than a TV capable of HDMI.

HB

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:00 am

eyec0n said:

I'm gonna assume that your limited to 480i on resolution.

Or 576i if you've got a PAL TV.

Vindicator

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:13 am

I have 5 monitors capable of DVI and 3 TV's with HDMI, I agree that the foundation added composite for a good reason but I would not say it is a core value but a necessity for low income homes and schools that it is mainly intended.

I have 4 computers within arms reach right now, I do not need a Raspi to fill in for any of them they are all capable of out running A Raspi, (even the oldest one that is a 1.3Mhz Celeron) although the oldest computer could not out gun the Raspi in video capabilities.

I just would like to confirm the composite resolution as I think it might be helpful if this information was integrated into the Wiki and FAQ's for those who may be less fortunate than I and might have to use composite.

Thank you very much to those who have responded.

If anyone out there that has an Alpha or Beta Raspi could please confirm and post the results and then request for the information to be added to the Wiki also please.

jlm

Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:58 pm

I think that a "composite out" stays with the core values, yes, but... even gives the ability to input it to the composite Video AUX of many car screens, turning it in an excellent in-car entertainment system.

I'd like - as I posted in another topic - to attach it to an Audi MMI 3G video aux, and use with a wifi dongle the airplay feature (that I saw possible in the actual "media server" distro) to wireless connect the RPI to an iPad2 (video mirroring) and an iPhone for vodcasting, music videos, etc.

Makes sense?

But I need the media server GUI to support the composite out (possibly in PAL 16:9 @ 848x480i) and the wifi dongle to act as a wifi "in car" router (where the iDevices can connect for airplay)...

rowi

Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:45 am

Hi,

just found this post and registered to the forum :).

I have an Audi S5 with a Hybrid TV tuner. Therefore there are 2 optional AV inputs which can be easily connected by just putting some Cinch cables to the red 12 or 20 pin connector. What could be better than using a Pi with these connections?
I bought original cables (look better than just soldering around) and could connect a DVD player but not my loved Pi. Audio works for both. So I guess it can be only the output voltage of the Pi (too low) or the resolution. I guess I have the wrong resolution set on the composite out. Nevertheless I could connect the Pi to two television screen without any problem (with the composite out of course).

I've seen that there might be a solution in editing the /boot/config.txt but I tried a bit but without success. I wonder if somebody has an idea how I could run the Raspberry Pi in my Audi with an probably special or not normal TV screen (all my other screens at home work well with the Pi).

best regards
Rolf

gordon77

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:52 am

HB wrote:eyec0n said:

I'm gonna assume that your limited to 480i on resolution.

Or 576i if you've got a PAL TV.
I don't think it displays 576 lines in PAL, maybe 480? Try generating a 640*480 window, in pygame etc, as see if it fills the screen.

redhawk

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:50 pm

Composite video output is either PAL or NTSC these are fixed at 576i visible lines (625 in total) or NTSC 480i visible lines (525? in total).
Horizontal resolution is debatable, the line quality is poor with fuzzy effects, dot crawling due to mixing of Y/C signals (luma, chroma).
So you in reality you're probably looking at something like PAL 480x576, or NTSC 480x480 when inspecting pixel separation.
The overscan settings (black borders) in /boot/config.txt can also influence how the image fits onto your TV screen too.

Richard S.

rowi

Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:17 pm

Finally got a solution: In Germany (or other areas where PAL is used instead of NTSC) you need to switch to PAL first.
Obviously my Audi sticks on PAL and doesn't care for NTSC.

That's what I did in /boot/config.txt:

# uncomment for composite PAL
#sdtv_mode=2
#rowi
sdtv_mode=2
sdtv_aspect=3

Best regards
Rolf

Return to “General discussion”