User avatar
jahboater
Posts: 6716
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm
Location: Wonderful West Dorset

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:31 am

My 3B+ came from PiHut and was in an anti-static bag.

These things are designed for children in classrooms, so they must be robust, electrically and mechanically I would think.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 14416
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:08 pm

I suspect that part of reason for the move to the paper bags and now the anti-static cardboard is the current push to reduce the use of plastic that gets into the environment. I dare say it's probably a cost reduction as well, in both the material itself and labor costs of not having to stuff the Pi into a bag and fold it shut.

k-pi
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:46 pm
Location: Upper Hale, Surrey, UK.

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:32 pm

Mine's on it's way to me just now, & as long as it's OK when it arrives, I don't care what kind of anti static container it comes in! :lol:

User avatar
pi-anazazi
Posts: 938
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:22 pm
Location: EU

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Here about 15 pi 1, 2, 3 and 1 zero. All came in antistatic plastic (although I cannot 100% guarantee for the zero, but for the rest I still have the bags here.....)
Kind regards

anazazi

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 14416
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:56 pm

pi-anazazi wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:46 pm
Here about 15 pi 1, 2, 3 and 1 zero. All came in antistatic plastic (although I cannot 100% guarantee for the zero, but for the rest I still have the bags here.....)
All my Pi0, Pi0W and Pi0WH have come in anti-static plastic bags. The most recent being 3 Pi0WH boards that arrived less than a week ago.

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 13696
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:35 pm

The "cardboard bags" with an antistatic logo, ARE antistatic bags, just of a more modern variety, that is less environmentally unfriendly than the pink or grey antistatic plastic bags you may be more familiar with.

drgeoff
Posts: 11554
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:46 pm

Pithagoros wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:47 pm
Mine just arrived this morning from CPC, in a cardboard box, no bag but the box itself clearly marked on the outside as anti-static packaging.

It's an anti-static box instead of bag.
The CPC/Element 14 box is NOT marked as anti-static packaging. The logo to the right of the dustbin means that the contents are sensitive to static and handling precautions should be observed. Look at the top two illustrations at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrost ... ive_device to see the completely different meanings of the logo on your box and the logo on the paper bag pictured earlier in this thread.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 13696
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:46 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:46 pm
Pithagoros wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:47 pm
Mine just arrived this morning from CPC, in a cardboard box, no bag but the box itself clearly marked on the outside as anti-static packaging.

It's an anti-static box instead of bag.
The CPC/Element 14 box is NOT marked as anti-static packaging. The logo to the right of the dustbin means that the contents are sensitive to static and handling precautions should be observed. Look at the top two illustrations at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrost ... ive_device to see the completely different meanings of the logo on your box and the logo on the paper bag pictured earlier in this thread.
The antistatic bag, as seen here: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=208147#p1287144 clearly has the logo that says it has antistatic protection (the semicircle around the antistatic hand symbol, denotes its an EPA). it IS an antistatic bag.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 6217
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:27 pm

I believe he was referring to the new 3B+ box, which is not anti-static - it's that card inside the box that the Pi sits on that is supposed to provide the anti-static protection (although it's not marked as such, it only has a barcode on it).
eupton wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:23 pm
The boxes that we pack Raspberry Pi 3B+ (and recent units of earlier models) into at Sony contain conductive card which have the same effect as an anti-static bag. In practice I suspect it's overkill: I remember back in the day (2010) testing BCM2763 (BCM2835 but in a 9x9mm 0.4mm-pitch package with 128MB of RAM) units with the static gun and not being able to kill them until we turned the PCB itself black through repeated discharges.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

drgeoff
Posts: 11554
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:04 pm

pi3bplus.jpg
pi3bplus.jpg (49.14 KiB) Viewed 3088 times
mahjongg wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:46 pm
drgeoff wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:46 pm
Pithagoros wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:47 pm
Mine just arrived this morning from CPC, in a cardboard box, no bag but the box itself clearly marked on the outside as anti-static packaging.

It's an anti-static box instead of bag.
The CPC/Element 14 box is NOT marked as anti-static packaging. The logo to the right of the dustbin means that the contents are sensitive to static and handling precautions should be observed. Look at the top two illustrations at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrost ... ive_device to see the completely different meanings of the logo on your box and the logo on the paper bag pictured earlier in this thread.
The antistatic bag, as seen here: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=208147#p1287144 clearly has the logo that says it has antistatic protection (the semicircle around the antistatic hand symbol, denotes its an EPA). it IS an antistatic bag.
@mahjongg
If you would read my post properly you should realise that I was disputing the statement by Pithagoros about a box, not a bag.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

mikerr
Posts: 2826
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:10 pm

eupton wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:23 pm
The boxes that we pack Raspberry Pi 3B+ (and recent units of earlier models) into at Sony contain conductive card which have the same effect as an anti-static bag.
I did have a little moan when I received my pi (from modmypi) bare in a box supposedly "without any static protection"
Thanks to your post I now know that shiny card WAS the static protection.

It seems picky, but it might be an idea to have "static protection" or something printed onto the back of the static conductive card to let people know. All that's on it at the moment is a barcode UPKG00645 ( which had nothing on google, but now leads to this thread !)

Image Image

Great job on the 3B+ though, when all we can complain about it is the packaging :)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

MrEngman
Posts: 4115
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:14 pm

Exactly the same as I received. Got mine from Pi-Hut.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 6217
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:41 pm

mikerr wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:10 pm
...
Great job on the 3B+ though, when all we can complain about it is the packaging :)
You clearly haven't been reading the forums lately. :P :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=208192 (Micro USB for powering PI is no longer OK)
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=208065 (pi3b+ needs better power supply)
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=207888 (Crypto calculation issues, related to PSU stuff above)
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=208104 (Why can't I run Raspbian Jessie?)

Not to mention all the moaning about the not-quite gigabit Ethernet, wired Ethernet still being part of the USB 2.0 hub chip, no USB 3.0, no 64-bit OS, still only 1GB of RAM, etc...
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 14416
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:52 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:41 pm
Not to mention all the moaning about the not-quite gigabit Ethernet, wired Ethernet still being part of the USB 2.0 hub chip, no USB 3.0, no 64-bit OS, still only 1GB of RAM, etc...
Yeah...it all boils down to "Why isn't the Pi3B+ the Pi4B with the features *I* want?" Frankly, I am amazed that the RPF managed to pull this particular rabbit out of their collective hats. It's a truly impressive upgrade for something that didn't look to have any room for meaningful upgrades.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 6217
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:05 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:52 pm
Frankly, I am amazed that the RPF managed to pull this particular rabbit out of their collective hats. It's a truly impressive upgrade for something that didn't look to have any room for meaningful upgrades.
The improved heat management was certainly something that was needed. Sure, people that don't run their Pi3B hard could live without it, but the whole point of a more powerful computer is to use that power, and the Pi3B didn't manage heat well out of the box. The faster Ethernet, dual-band wireless AC and 200MHz speed increase were icing on the cake. Image
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

User avatar
jahboater
Posts: 6716
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm
Location: Wonderful West Dorset

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:28 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:05 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:52 pm
Frankly, I am amazed that the RPF managed to pull this particular rabbit out of their collective hats. It's a truly impressive upgrade for something that didn't look to have any room for meaningful upgrades.
The improved heat management was certainly something that was needed. Sure, people that don't run their Pi3B hard could live without it, but the whole point of a more powerful computer is to use that power, and the Pi3B didn't manage heat well out of the box. The faster Ethernet, dual-band wireless AC and 200MHz speed increase were icing on the cake. Image
And the better antenna.
Also they have fixed the act led: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=208381

Presumably many people were hoping for a Pi4 this year.

I thought the first B+ was a truly inspired piece of design, and I am coming to the conclusion that the new 3B+ is also a great Pi model. A better engineered 3B. I like it a lot!

But sadly I still have to keep using my old Odroid C2, it has everything and more that people are complaining is missing from the new Pi at only slightly extra cost and the same form factor. No Wifi though. (but it came in an anti-static bag :) )
Last edited by jahboater on Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PeterO
Posts: 6095
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:50 am

My DVM says there is significant conductivity in the cardboard.
Cardboard form a similar box shows no measurable conductivity, but the Pi box reads < 200MΩ with the probes ~ 1cm apart.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Pithagoros
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:16 am

drgeoff wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:46 pm
Pithagoros wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:47 pm
Mine just arrived this morning from CPC, in a cardboard box, no bag but the box itself clearly marked on the outside as anti-static packaging.

It's an anti-static box instead of bag.
The CPC/Element 14 box is NOT marked as anti-static packaging. The logo to the right of the dustbin means that the contents are sensitive to static and handling precautions should be observed. Look at the top two illustrations at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrost ... ive_device to see the completely different meanings of the logo on your box and the logo on the paper bag pictured earlier in this thread.
Hi DRGeoff

You have a different box from the one I have, with different markings.

drgeoff
Posts: 11554
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:17 am

Pithagoros wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:16 am
drgeoff wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:46 pm
Pithagoros wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:47 pm
Mine just arrived this morning from CPC, in a cardboard box, no bag but the box itself clearly marked on the outside as anti-static packaging.

It's an anti-static box instead of bag.
The CPC/Element 14 box is NOT marked as anti-static packaging. The logo to the right of the dustbin means that the contents are sensitive to static and handling precautions should be observed. Look at the top two illustrations at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrost ... ive_device to see the completely different meanings of the logo on your box and the logo on the paper bag pictured earlier in this thread.
Hi DRGeoff

You have a different box from the one I have, with different markings.
Mine arrived from CPC on 16th - the day before yours. Can you post a picture of yours?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

marklola82
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:08 pm

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:09 pm

gtechn wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:07 pm
I'll add in here - Every Raspberry Pi I have purchased (B+, Pi 2 B, Pi 3 B) have all come in Antistatic bags. If this helps at all, mine were all from element14.
mine came today and its from element14 and it was not in side any bag at all just in the box itself which is very odd ive yet to try it

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 14416
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:52 pm

marklola82 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:09 pm
gtechn wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:07 pm
I'll add in here - Every Raspberry Pi I have purchased (B+, Pi 2 B, Pi 3 B) have all come in Antistatic bags. If this helps at all, mine were all from element14.
mine came today and its from element14 and it was not in side any bag at all just in the box itself which is very odd ive yet to try it
Take another look. There should be what appears to be a piece of cardboard in there as well.

PowerWagon
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:10 pm

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:32 pm

I have the card in the bottom of the RPi3B+ box from Arrow delivered by FedEx today, but I have other problems:
smashedPi3B+.jpg
smashedPi3B+.jpg (187.78 KiB) Viewed 2037 times

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 13696
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: No anti-static bag for 3B+?

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:10 am

wow.... needless to say this, but an antistatic bag doesn't help protect a PI agains being run over by a car, or something like that.

this is one that you should return as "unfit for purpose".... :mrgreen:

Return to “General discussion”