cchisholm

can't resize a window

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:15 pm

I am trying to setup an RP3 with a SD card provided by Protoneer.co.nz. When I open up the Arduino IDE, both the top and bottom of the window are off the screen, so I can't resize it except horizontally. This prevents me from getting to the menus.

Is there a keyboard shortcut that would allow me to move the window down so i could resize it and get to the menus?

il_diavolo

Re: can't resize a window

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Try holding down "alt" and dragging with the mouse left button.

klricks

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:04 am

What kind of screen?
This is a common problem with composite and other low resolution screens.
Try adjusting framebuffer settings in /boot/config.txt
You will have to experiment to see if you can find a setting where you can fit everything on the screen AND still read the text.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

cchisholm

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:31 pm

il_diavolo wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:10 pm
Try holding down "alt" and dragging with the mouse left button.
Worked Perfectly il_diavolo! Just what I needed. Thanks

klricks wrote:What kind of screen?
klricks: I am not quite sure how to answer this, I am using the pi headless through VNC and my laptop. I also want to try and increase the resolution if that;s possible with this arrangement. I think I need to set hdmi_mode=16 in config.txt, but since I am not going through the hdmi port, this might now work. Any idea?

sconemad

Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:00 pm

cchisholm wrote:
I am using the pi headless through VNC and my laptop. I also want to try and increase the resolution if that;s possible with this arrangement. I think I need to set hdmi_mode=16 in config.txt, but since I am not going through the hdmi port, this might now work. Any idea?
You can force a screen resolution by going to the Pi Menu > Preferences > Raspberry Pi Configuration and selecting "Set Resolution". It basically just sets the right values in config.txt.

klricks

Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:12 pm

cchisholm wrote:
klricks: I am not quite sure how to answer this, I am using the pi headless through VNC and my laptop. I also want to try and increase the resolution if that;s possible with this arrangement. I think I need to set hdmi_mode=16 in config.txt, but since I am not going through the hdmi port, this might now work. Any idea?
If a HDMI monitor is NOT attached when booted then the RPi Raspbian (not NOOBs) reverts to AV composite mode and gives a very low resolution. RealVNC will use whatever resolution the RPi is set to. You can edit config.txt directly and enable hdmi_force_hotplug=1 and set a group and mode.
-OR-
You can use advanced menu of sudo raspi-config or GUI config tool to force HDMI hotplug mode and choose a more suitable resolution. (Any choice other than monitor default will also set hdmi_force_hotplug).
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

cchisholm

Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:59 pm

klricks wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:12 pm
If a HDMI monitor is NOT attached when booted then the RPi Raspbian (not NOOBs) reverts to AV composite mode and gives a very low resolution. RealVNCr will use whatever resolution the RPi is set to. You can edit config.txt directly and enable hdmi_force_hotplug=1 and set a group and mode.
-OR-
You can use advanced menu of sudo raspi-config or GUI config tool to force HDMI hotplug mode and choose a more suitable resolution. (Any choice other than monitor default will also set hdmi_force_hotplug).
Wow! works great. I tried it first be editing the file directly and I must have done something wrong because it didn't take. Then I ran raspi-config, made the changes and it worked.

Thank you very much

Charlie

Return to “General discussion”