manis404

Re: Mind putting the 'faulty' boards up for sale?

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:04 pm

After watching that factory video, I'm pretty sure that I could do that fix myself. If you[the raspi team] chose to sell these early boards off, this post is just to say that I am very interested.

Keep up the good work,

M.

SergeantFTC

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:06 pm

They are putting them up for sale on ebay, after fixing them.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:08 pm

We will be putting any faulty bare PCBs up for sale (as coasters, very small art, you name it); when we mentioned the idea here before the response was so positive that we think it'll be a nice way of making a little extra money for the charity.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

campsec

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:41 pm

A blank board would be great!  I am running a Raspberry Pi Club in April (hopefully) and I would love to have a bare PCB for the kids to examine so they understand what is under the Broadcom CPU/GPU/Memory.  Before you make them available for coasters please give the people that will really use them to educate a chance to have one.  BTW, have a great time at CES, I wish I was going this year I would definitely plan a night out at the pub with Eben and Liz!  Cheers!

reiuyi

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:51 pm

A bare PCB board should hang nicely on the wall as a very advanced form of modern art. I've seen CPU wafers being encased in glass and hung on the wall before. Though admittingly, CPU wafers are way prettier than PCB boards.

Manabu

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:25 am

The PCBs would be prettier if they made it red. But noo, it would be too expensive, so we get the boring green ones...

PS: I'm not complaining, but red PCBs sure would be nice, if free.

reiuyi

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:47 am

Manabu said:

The PCBs would be prettier if they made it red. But noo, it would be too expensive, so we get the boring green ones…

PS: I'm not complaining, but red PCBs sure would be nice, if free.

According to earlier posts, red circuit boards are more expensive than green circuit boards, so the idea was put aside as for now. Also according to past posts; the idea of alternative colour schemes was thought about as a possibility for the future. As soon as the technical design and the financial issues are overcome (the Foundations runs on private investments of its volunteers right now; and by volunteers I mean the staff, it is not possible to donate to Raspberry Pi right now), the Raspberry Pi team will have more time to look into the fun bits its community come up with. Designing a 6-layered PCB was a very tedious job for the hardware crew and other members of the Foundation were busy with their own tasks to get all the financial details, paperwork and legalwork done.

TL;DR yes there is a possibility alternative colours are released in the future

johnbeetem

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:58 am

I like green.  The first circuit board with solder mask I ever held was green -- I thought it was so pretty.  My first red circuit board was an 8KB memory board I built from a kit which used 1Kx1 bit NMOS static RAMs.  Good grief, that board used a lot of power -- you could almost burn your fingers on the linear regulators.

So for nostalgic reasons, I say stick with green.  But pay the extra shilling for a two-colour silkscreen so the logo can be red

Manabu

Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:22 am

Yeah, looking again in the unpopulated board, the green and gold with blank text is prettier than I thought, especially with the raspberry pi logo there. But for a fully populated board, I find red still better.

And yeah, i read those older threads.

"Color is an interesting characteristic: it never matters at all, except it always does." ~ obarthelemy

riffraff

Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:31 am

I got a great deal on double sided PCB stock, the substrate was a beautiful dark blue, somewhere between royal and navy. Only problem was something was jacked up about the copper. No matter how thoroughly I cleaned the surface before applying the resist and etching, I always wound up with unetched boogers between the traces.

I just found a bunch of attractive woodcuts to transfer and etched some pretty art on them.

Return to “General discussion”