tannenba

Pi 4 wish list.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:51 am

Hi,

I'm using 3 Pi's in my home network for monitoring UPS's, and one is a file server with two 4 TB drives attached. My wish list for the Pi4 would be for gigabit Ethernet and USB 3.0 ports. As a file server, it actually beats my two Dlink Dns-323's with processing power, but the slower Ethernet and USB ports could be improved.

Thanks for letting me give my input.

Joe

Imperf3kt

Re: Pi 4 wish list.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:07 am

Nobody let you do anything, you ignored forum rules and did what you wanted. This thread will be locked in due course.

On a side note, what you are using your Pi for, is not its intended audience, so even if 'wish list' posts were allowed, yours is inconsequential .
There are other SBCs with the features you request at a similar price point.
Stop plugging your fan directly into the GPIO 5v
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/power/transient-suppression.html

W. H. Heydt

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:12 am

1. This thread will rapidly go down hill and be locked. (see the myriad of other threads on the same subject).

2. It is probably too late to be suggesting features for the Pi4B. My best guess is the SoC has already been designed and may very well be working in silicon by now.

3. I agree that USB 3 is a desirable feature for a future (or even the next) Pi. I don't really care about GbE, but I certainly wouldn't object and it would be a likely change if USB 3 is implemented....assuming that Ethernet continues to run through an on-board hub and not as a native interface on the SoC. In any case, USB 3 will require a completely new SoC.

Douglas6

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:16 am

I would like the Pi 4 to include wheels. And a sandwich.

Lob0426

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:02 am

I don't think a "Pi4B" is likely this year. I have my guesses as to what they might release!
I don't think USB 3.0 is likely either due to licensing cost.
The same for Gigabit Ethernet.

My guess!

A Pi 3A+W

A Pi Zero 3/3W

Why did I say Pi 3A+W?

The Zero/ZeroW boards are nice. They are inexpensive to buy. They are not quite as inexpensive to operate. Because of the micro USB and mini HDMI connectors you have to have adapters or proper size cables for Zero setup to headless or headed operation. They are great project boards but just not perfect for the foundations mission. Their goal was for us to use readily available things like keyboards and mice to inexpensively learn to program on a raspberry pi. This is actually hampered somewhat on the Zero's unless you have a true Bluetooth keyboard/mouse hanging around, or Mini/Micro cables, hanging around. Most don't!

The A+ form factor at least has a full USB and HDMI. And it's smaller size is nice too. So no adapters and you can readily use the one USB to setup the board. If they go to the Pi 3 SoC they have to redesign the board anyway. So I think they will add the "W" when they do. The utility and convenience of onboard WiFi and Bluetooth is just too good. I also think they could do it for their second standard $25 price. I think this because 2B's and 3B's are essentially using the same SoC except for the clock rate. Plus again they can do away with the relatively expensive LAN9512 or LAN9514 chips and needed components. I think they will also go OTG if they do this.

Don't get me wrong, a 3Zero W, Zero3 W, 3W Zero,,,,, would return the foundation to it's normal release of a product that becomes readily UNavailable for the next 6 months to a year while stunting production of it's other established boards. LOL! But so would a Pi 3A+W, A3W+, A+3W,,,,,! Both are would be highly sought after boards! Ebay would again be full of 5X priced boards by speculators! And the Forums would again be full of posts about possible location here the boards are actually available at near foundation price! Yes a another typical foundation release!!!

Or maybe they will take this year off! Yes it would be disappointing but could happen. If they did take this year off it could bode well for a Pi 4B! But the foundation does enjoy it's releases, as well they should. I mean when you expected to make 10,000 or so boards but ended up making 14, 16, million and still counting, they do have something to be proud of, and enjoy.

We will know one way or the other or the other in 6 days!

Ha Ha got this slipped in before they locked the post. I didn't make it last time! It will get locked unfortunately, as some just begin complaining rather than discussing!

They have stated that Pi4 will most likely depart from the line of SoC's they have been using as a basis for the raspberry pi's. I do believe they have been surprised how readily Broadcom has been involved in the improvements (addition of processor cores, upgrades of technologies in the cores etc.) that have been made. And I think we should thank Broadcom for this work and their partnership with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. The main block for the USB is the VideoCore4. And it would have to be totally redesigned, from what I have read, to get past those problems. There has been big improvements in the USB from the original. We need to remember that the foundation is not out ot design or sell a mainstream computer system!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

ejolson

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:29 am

Lob0426 wrote:
The Zero/ZeroW boards are nice. They are inexpensive to buy. They are not quite as inexpensive to operate. Because of the micro USB and mini HDMI connectors you have to have adapters or proper size cables for Zero setup to headless or headed operation. They are great project boards but just not perfect for the foundations mission. Their goal was for us to use readily available things like keyboards and mice to inexpensively learn to program on a raspberry pi. This is actually hampered somewhat on the Zero's unless you have a true Bluetooth keyboard/mouse hanging around, or Mini/Micro cables, hanging around. Most don't!
I hesitate to post to this thread because the Pi 4 title is likely to attract the kind of replies that get a thread locked.

In my experience, the Zero is very cheap to operate: simply run it in gadget mode and plug it into another computer using a standard USB port and cable. Now, log into the Zero using the keyboard, mouse and monitor of the other computer. You immediately have the programmability, GPIO and physical computing opportunities of a regular Pi at 1/7 the cost. Moreover, you don't have to plug and unplug a bunch of keyboard, monitor, mouse and network cables in existing school computer labs to use them. In particular, the Zero is an easy way to provide an open-ended programming environment for students without compromising the security of the locked-down office software running on the Windows machines in the school computer lab. I'd say the Zero satisfies many educational needs.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:22 am

Lob0426 wrote:
My guess!

A Pi 3A+W
The Pi3A exists. It just hasn't been released, for...reasons. It is known that it has builtin WiFi and BT like the Pi3B and Pi0W. What isn't known is which type of antenna--chip or cavity--it has (and that may have changed since the initial design).
A Pi Zero 3/3W
Unlikely in the extreme. Not only would it be more expensive to make (remember that pretty much the point of the Pi0 is minimal cost), but there is no way to mount the RAM on the SoC. Since there is no space on the top of the PCB for a RAM chip, it would have to go on the bottom and that would seriously impact production cost.

So...I would rate the Pi3A as possible this year, but this thread is looking at the Pi4B and that--unfortunately--looks to be unlikely before next year.

HawaiianPi

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:13 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:22 am
Since there is no space on the top of the PCB for a RAM chip, it would have to go on the bottom and that would seriously impact production cost.
Only if the PCB remained the same size. A slightly larger PCB could accommodate single sided board construction without too much impact on the price (possibly), but I still agree a Pi Zero 3/3W is unlikely in the extreme for lots of other reasons.

So what's the reason for the delay on the Pi3A, if anyone knows and can get their answer in before the lock. ;)

Threads about the Pi4 are industrial strength
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

DougieLawson

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:40 am

Douglas6 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:16 am
I would like the Pi 4 to include wheels. And a sandwich.
Would your wheels and sandwiches work with the pink ponies and unicorns? I can see an interfacing problem.
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Lob0426 wrote:
My guess!

A Pi 3A+W
The Pi3A exists. It just hasn't been released, for...reasons.
Where's you evidence? There's no such thing as a Pi3A outside your somewhat warped imagination. Have you been smoking too many aromatic materials?
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:48 am

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=205895

Yes it is the loony post time of year.

Eben did mention the RPi 2A was not taken to production and a 3A would likely be it's successor, will have to wait if there is enough SoC Fab capacity for this to become a reality.

Though like all wish lists it is just "hot air", the RPT / RPF employ very intelligent and knowledgeable people who will have mapped out a road map for the future...

....actually posting this CRAP is in my opinion not respectful to RPT / RPF.

To the OP you have plenty of alternative Single Board Computers so your desires are already fulfilled :roll:
Adieu

fruitoftheloom

Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:52 am

tannenba wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:51 am
Hi,

I'm using 3 Pi's in my home network for monitoring UPS's, and one is a file server with two 4 TB drives attached. My wish list for the Pi4 would be for gigabit Ethernet and USB 3.0 ports. As a file server, it actually beats my two Dlink Dns-323's with processing power, but the slower Ethernet and USB ports could be improved.

Thanks for letting me give my input.

Joe

You can at least double the Ethernet I/O for a £10 investment, see:

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff ... networking
Adieu

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Adding this to a closed thread just for informational purposes.

The Pi4 is not going to be out this year.

The Pi4 specs are already fixed (to some fairly robust definition of fixed).

So please, no more threads on what people want in the Pi4 or when it's coming out.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “General discussion”