Siamak

Raspbian Installation Script

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:36 am

Good morning all,

Just reading few days ago about the default user name in Raspberry pi which is "pi" with the "raspberry" as password.

Unfortunately I am not a programmer by nature - some people are born to be programmers- so what if we had, like UBUNTU installation, a script that would guide the user to specify a user-name and password from the very start of the Raspbian installation, not only will it look very professional it also adds to the security of the system.

I wish I knew how it worked I would have attempted to do so.

Cheers all.

Siamak

P.S. I am using a laptop with UBUNTU 16.04 LTS on it.

n67

Re: Raspbian Installation Script

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:41 pm

I agree with you 100%.

There's a lot that says it should have been done like that (I've often argued exactly that), but the fact is that it wasn't - and it is too late to change it (in Raspbian).

A couple of things that could be done (in/to the Raspbian image), that would improve things greatly without breaking the general spirit of having a ready-to-go machine/OS (I.e., that would not require the user to go through the hassle of a regular install script in order to get up-and-running on the Pi):

1) Remove the default password. There is simply no need for it anymore and it is just silly to keep it in the system. Since the default setup it to boot directly into the desktop w/o any password prompt, there's no need to have any password set. If/when users want to be able to login the old-fashioned way (either on a virtual console or via SSH), they can setup a password in the usual way.

This also neatly solves the eternal-September problem of "Why doesn't SSH work?" (which generates legions of answers about creating the "ssh" file in the FAT32 partition). If there is no password for the default user, there is no need to disable SSH.

2) Provide a simple/supported way to rename the "pi" user. This would allow people to use a name of their choosing (*) for the default user - again eliminating all the security issues associated with a default username and default password.

(*) Eliminating another eternal-September problem of "I added my own username and it doesn't work like the default user does".
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

Siamak

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:04 pm

I think I have put a finger on it, good to provoke it will make things change,

I have tried many times setting up VPN Server for my personal use, followed many tutorials available on site and managed ot make one which was working more or less until I found a site "PiVPN" that changed my life, thanks to the people that made that script I have a wonderful up and running VPN Server.

Said that because I think it is not too late at all, Raspbery Pi is very young, not in its infancy but I would say it is in early teens, so those who write OS's in general and Raspbian in particular know how to implement those wishes.

I do appreciate the amount work it could entail, and I think these small wishes that make an OS wonderful, I am not saying Raspbian isn't, with its desktop and all the goodies that come with it, I cannot and am not in any way criticizing, UBUNTU is Debian based OS, I know it has a lot in it than that of Raspbian, nevertheless UBUNTU has an installation procedure that I have use many, may times installing it on various machines.

Anyway I am not going to go on about it any longer, if there would be an installation procedure I am sure it would be more than welcome.

Cheers
Siamak

Heater

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:13 pm

When you have finished "improving" the installation experience please be sure the following is still possible:

1) Make new Rasbian / Raspbian Lite SD.

2) Install to Pi

3) Connect Pi to local LAN

4) Power up Pi

5) Find Pi on the network, login via SSH and start working.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Siamak

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi every One,

Talking of which, I just came across this site, it seems some one has already thought and made the script, I have not tried it yet therefore I don't know whether or not it asks for User name.

http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianInstaller

Enjoy if you will.
Siamak

n67

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:46 pm

Siamak wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:38 pm
Hi every One,

Talking of which, I just came across this site, it seems some one has already thought and made the script, I have not tried it yet therefore I don't know whether or not it asks for User name.

http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianInstaller

Enjoy if you will.
Siamak
I looked at that, and, yes, it does seem to be doing things the way a "normal" Linux installation script does things. In particular, I see the following stuff there:
Loading additional components
[no input]
Set up users and passwords
Root password:
raspbian [or whatever root password you want]
<Continue>
Re-enter password to verify:
raspbian [or whatever root password you want]
A user account will be created for you to use instead of the root account for non-administrative activities.
Full name for the new user:
Raspbian User [or whatever full name you want]
<Continue>
Username for your account:
raspbian [or whatever username you want]
<Continue>
Choose a password for the new user:
raspbian [or whatever user password you want]
<Continue>
Re-enter password to verify:
raspbian [or whatever user password you want]
<Continue>
Configure the clock...
So, it appears the "users and passwords" section is the usual stuff - set a root password, create a user account, give the user account a password.

But that all said, I don't think that image is the way to go, since it states very clearly that the process takes a long time to complete. This is both because of the complexity of the process (having to ask every single little question) and because of the fact that it is copying files one-by-one, rather than dumping an image. Clearly, we want the speed and simplicity of an image dump, but we would also like to be able to tweak the image a bit after we're done.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

Siamak

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:23 am

Hi ALL,

It is a subjective issue, some would like to be guides some would like other things so I think it is an excellent idea to be able to choose and that's all I had in mind.

I did not know one can post anonymously.

Any way this installater been around for a while and I had no Idea, glad to have found it and I will use it one of these days to see how it goes.

Cheers and have nice week-end

Siamak

Return to “General discussion”