pieter14

PLC connecting to a PI with ethernet

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:28 am

Hello everyone,

I am a student and i have project wich includes "getting data from a PLC using a Rasp Pi3 with ethernet connection".
The Plc I use is a S7-300. I hope somebody can answer my questions.
-How can you make the connection between the PLC and the Raspberry Pi?
-How can you visualize the data you get from the PLC on a Tv-screen using the pi?
-Has anyone an interesting tutorial about this?

thank you

pcmanbob

Re: PLC connecting to a PI with ethernet

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi.

First asking the question for a second time wont get you help any faster. second post : viewtopic.php?f=29&t=204969&p=1271002#p1271002

Without knowing what connection/data transfer protocols the PLC supports how can anyone say, you will need to figure out what your particular PLC is programmed to do with regards communications.

Visualization of data is down to what data you have and how you want to display it , do you want just rows of readings or graphs of data over time or some combination etc..... is it to be just a screen connected to the pi or some thing you need to access remotely ?

you will need to write your own program to collect the data from you r PLC and display it the format you want the programming language you use will depend on what you know and what supports the PLC data stream.

I suggest you start doing some research you have the whole web at your finger tips don't expect other people to do this research for you.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

pieter14

Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:55 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:18 pm
Hi.

First asking the question for a second time wont get you help any faster. second post : viewtopic.php?f=29&t=204969&p=1271002#p1271002

Without knowing what connection/data transfer protocols the PLC supports how can anyone say, you will need to figure out what your particular PLC is programmed to do with regards communications.

Visualization of data is down to what data you have and how you want to display it , do you want just rows of readings or graphs of data over time or some combination etc..... is it to be just a screen connected to the pi or some thing you need to access remotely ?

you will need to write your own program to collect the data from you r PLC and display it the format you want the programming language you use will depend on what you know and what supports the PLC data stream.

I suggest you start doing some research you have the whole web at your finger tips don't expect other people to do this research for you.
I won't expect anything from anything. I have done a lot of research but i cant find many info about it.

pcmanbob

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:08 pm

I have done a lot of research but i cant find many info about it.
Well a quick google search returned About 476,000 results for "plc S7-300 comms"

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=plc+S ... gAbT3ajQDg

So there is information out there you just need to find the information relevant to your particular project.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

pieter14

Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:39 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:08 pm
I have done a lot of research but i cant find many info about it.
Well a quick google search returned About 476,000 results for "plc S7-300 comms"

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=plc+S ... gAbT3ajQDg

So there is information out there you just need to find the information relevant to your particular project.
yeah that's all b***t, try to help someone instead of writing useless things

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:24 pm

please... respect other people here, nobody is being paid here to help you.

also, studying means you have to put some work in yourself.... Why do you expect that others do your homework for you... :roll:

theoriginalxbrav

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:36 pm

Siemens is quite proprietary to begin with. I mostly work with AB PLCs, but I have played with a S7-300 lately (sadly, it didn't have ethernet). Most of the comms are over ProfiNet, but you may be able to communicate if it's running a modbus server of some sort. Otherwise, you'll be bound with the proprietary protocols of the OEM.

I would recommend looking into S7-300 data acquisition through Excel, then porting whatever method they use over to the Pi to parse and process the data.
Projects:
Raspberry Pi Weather Camera and weeWX: http://reboot.us.com/local-weather/
Daily Timelapses: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLi1er5S-VzV8d2t21zT0U_aBInl1_Ojkf

Return to “General discussion”