TomaszK

Control RPi3 without internet

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi. I have RPi 3 which i must connect to wifi, but i cant use any keyboard or display. Can i connect rpi with my computer or phone to control it without internet. For example by bluetooth or ethernet cable?

Heater

Re: Control RPi3 without internet

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:27 pm

If your Pi can connect to a WIFI access point and if your PC, laptop, whatever can connect to the same access point, then yes. You can connect to your Pi using SSH (putty) or VNC or whatever. As if it is all on the same local network. No internet required.

tweak42

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:34 pm

TomaszK wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:20 pm
Hi. I have RPi 3 which i must connect to wifi, but i cant use any keyboard or display. Can i connect rpi with my computer or phone to control it without internet. For example by bluetooth or ethernet cable?
There are many guides on how to directly connect Pi 3 to PC using a ethernet cable, no internet or network hardware required.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=raspberry+pi+ether ... connection

Can you provide more details on what you are trying to setup?

PhatFil

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:33 pm

the term 'headless' is used to refer to a computer running without monitor and keyboard/mouse. and many R-Pis run headless, google for "headless R-Pi setup " for lots of information and step by step walk throughs. some linked above .

its a very easy set up, check it out

kayel

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:39 am

I just did what you're trying to do. I was surprised when it worked, as always when I just follow instructions and don't understand what I'm doing .

Install vnc server on the pi.

Install vnc viewer on the phone.

Follow the instructions (the stuff I don't understand) here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md

Good luck!

Goodwinds

Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:27 pm

I have had my Raspberry PI 3 connected with VNC server and viewer. Today I tried to connect through a portable wifi modem without a sim connection. All systems connected PI/IPad/Mac however VNC Viewer doesn’t work? When searching on VNC’s website, YES you need internet for VNC unless you get the $400 VNC package.

I want to do a hybrid connection, HDMI to monitor, wireless keyboard/mouse, however still want a VNC/Headless over wifi/Bluetooth so I can see on my IPad.

I’m running a sailing Navigation called Openplotter and Opencpn. Can anyone confirm the a headless setting or another VNC type thing can be used before I start changing WIFI access point settings etc

Thanks

sconemad

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:40 pm

Goodwinds wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:27 pm
I have had my Raspberry PI 3 connected with VNC server and viewer. Today I tried to connect through a portable wifi modem without a sim connection. All systems connected PI/IPad/Mac however VNC Viewer doesn’t work? When searching on VNC’s website, YES you need internet for VNC unless you get the $400 VNC package.
You can make direct connections with the free Raspberry Pi edition of VNC Connect (which is installed by default). For this you need to enter the ip address or hostname in the VNC Viewer. Internet access is not required for this.

Cloud connections do require internet access, since they use RealVNC services to broker the connection.

Goodwinds

Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:57 am

Hi Sconemad

Thanks for the tip, can you help those not network minded.
My pocket wifi modem is default 192.168.1.1,
I can connect Raspberry to the wifi, and my Mac/IPad
However what address to I put in VNC viewer?
Tried the same as modem, also tried the ‘Other ways to connect’ IP on the VNC connect/server on PI 192.168.20.24

Tried changing my modem to a static IP of 192.168.20.23.... only having to factory default to get another to connect to modem again.

Any 101 Dummies tips?

sconemad

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:20 pm

Goodwinds wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:57 am
Thanks for the tip, can you help those not network minded.
My pocket wifi modem is default 192.168.1.1,
I can connect Raspberry to the wifi, and my Mac/IPad
However what address to I put in VNC viewer?
Tried the same as modem, also tried the ‘Other ways to connect’ IP on the VNC connect/server on PI 192.168.20.24
The IP address shown on the Pi (192.168.20.24 in your case) should be the one to use - you could check this by running "ifconfig" in a terminal on the Pi and seeing what inet address is reported for the wlan0 interface.

You might also want to check that the device on which you're running the viewer is on the same subnet (i.e. IP address starts with 192.168, assuming your netmask is 255.255.0.0) and you can ping the Pi's IP address.

Return to “General discussion”