Gumik

Re: Can It handle Blu-ray playback ?

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:28 pm

Because  I don't have a HDMI AV receiver but one who can use S/PDIF and It works just fine so I don't plan on spending 500$ for an HDMI one ?

MartinRaspberry

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:19 am

edzieba said:

Pretty much. While you can accidentally make an unplayable-wthout-mucking-about encrypted image of a DVD, with a BD the disc imaging software will almost certainly just flag up a "nope, ain't happening" error when you try without doing any decrypting. The "drag all the files from the disc to a folder" method will not work either, again unless you are already doing something to decrypt the disc.

AnyDVD-HD, the most popular method to do so, works pretty much transparently in the background so you can do all your imaging and drag & dropping without even knowing the encryption is there.

It can be pretty automated. So if you are on Windows Media Centre, other OS are available,  with MyMovies (www.mymovies.dk) you can insert the disc, be prompted to create ISO, it then pulls all the cover, synopsis, artist info etc, from it's server for your db and then provides a Cover Flow type interface to select to play them all, calling say Total Media Center.

I wonder if the RaspBerry Pi could be a media extender, working with something "like" MyMovies on another machine that manages the resources?

edzieba

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:15 am

MartinRaspberry said:

It can be pretty automated. So if you are on Windows Media Centre, other OS are available,  with MyMovies (www.mymovies.dk) you can insert the disc, be prompted to create ISO, it then pulls all the cover, synopsis, artist info etc, from it's server for your db and then provides a Cover Flow type interface to select to play them all, calling say Total Media Center.

According to their website, "My Movies do not backup copy protected DVD, HD-DVD or Blu-ray titles. Users in countries that allow circumventing CSS and AACS copy protections when backing up their movies can install SlySoft AnyDVD HD to remove these copy protections at driver level."

DTS/DD core audio: I'd forgotten about that feature, though I suspect to extract them a license would still be required. A method would also be required to add an SPDIF output to the RasPi itself.

MartinRaspberry

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:54 pm

edzieba said:

MartinRaspberry said:

According to their website, "My Movies do not backup copy protected DVD, HD-DVD or Blu-ray titles. Users in countries that allow circumventing CSS and AACS copy protections when backing up their movies can install SlySoft AnyDVD HD to remove these copy protections at driver level."

DTS/DD core audio: I'd forgotten about that feature, though I suspect to extract them a license would still be required. A method would also be required to add an SPDIF output to the RasPi itself.

Yes, so to backup a copy protected blu-ray you need to have selected AnyDVD in MyMovies Collection Management options (once) so it always uses that automatically from the Media Center/My Movies UI. I think AnyDVD is regarded as the best in this area.

However there is something else on their website that I've never used and kinda contradicts what you found on the same site.

"Backup to ISO files and backup of HD-DVD and Blu-ray (2,500 points)

All users have the option to backup* their DVD movies from within My Movies in Media Center or via the Copy Discs option in the Collection Management program, to be able to store them on hard drives or on network storage, to be able to keep their discs safe of scratches, free from kids dirty fingers or other factors that may harm the users investment. Users with at least 2,500 contribution or purchased points have the option to backup* their DVD's to ISO files as an addition to file structures, or backup HD-DVD or Blu-ray to ISO files or file structures as well."

edzieba

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:55 am

If you look at the footnote at the bottom of that page, it says: "* Due to legality in several countries, My Movies do not backup copy protected DVD, HD-DVD or Blu-ray titles. Users in countries that allow circumventing CSS and AACS copy protections when backing up their movies can install SlySoft AnyDVD HD to remove these copy protections at driver level." Basically, the MyMovies program itself does no decryption of DVDs or BDs, just the simple ripping process once the discs have been decrypted by AnyDVD. As this can be done with other free software (e.g. imgburn) or simply by copying the decrypted folder structure, and with AnyDVD requiring a seperate purchase, they appear to be charging just for the organisational and tagging functions of their program.

cnxsoft

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:41 am

I have no doubt the GPU can handle Blu-Ray @ 1080p, the bottleneck would probably be the SD card or USB mass storage so a 40Mbit/s stream might not be very smooth, if it can play at all.

I remember having problem to play 20MBit/s videos stored on CF cards for another Linux platform with a powerful video decoder and a 300Mhz MIPS core.

MartinRaspberry

Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:45 pm

cnxsoft said:

I have no doubt the GPU can handle Blu-Ray @ 1080p, the bottleneck would probably be the SD card or USB mass storage so a 40Mbit/s stream might not be very smooth, if it can play at all.

I remember having problem to play 20MBit/s videos stored on CF cards for another Linux platform with a powerful video decoder and a 300Mhz MIPS core.

I don't know if this helps but blu-ray ISO play great across USB 2.0 with what ever external storage on the other end?

MartinRaspberry

Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:12 pm

edzieba said:

If you look at the footnote at the bottom of that page, it says: "* Due to legality in several countries, My Movies do not backup copy protected DVD, HD-DVD or Blu-ray titles. Users in countries that allow circumventing CSS and AACS copy protections when backing up their movies can install SlySoft AnyDVD HD to remove these copy protections at driver level." Basically, the MyMovies program itself does no decryption of DVDs or BDs, just the simple ripping process once the discs have been decrypted by AnyDVD. As this can be done with other free software (e.g. imgburn) or simply by copying the decrypted folder structure, and with AnyDVD requiring a seperate purchase, they appear to be charging just for the organisational and tagging functions of their program.

I don't know what it does but myMovies offers their own backup application without AnyDVD, maybe it's based on freeware!  You can buy AnyDvd and set MyMovies options to use that so you do not need to buy the MyMovies backup application.

I have purchased points to get their copy disc feature, which is not actually about doing the copy, more integrating it with the image backup and a load of other nice features - 1250 points about £30 in total for life.  This allows me to automatically get all my cover's and disc details automatically without spending ages doing it and looking homemade. Hey if you contribute those covers and details for new discs you earn points!

You also get a website to view your collection details - not play! There are also ipad, iphone apps to work with your pc, cover flow again, to select and play movies in windows media center. I love it.

My own experience having used freeware when I first got interested in this 3 years ago was that I spent more time trying to get it to work, looking for alternatives, on 'new' discs than I had free time. Free can be expensive. AnyDVD is an investment and I have never had a problem with any new encryption, there are updates almost weekly. Thats lifetime also and they do 50% off deals now and then, so not great shakes, about the cost of 2 blu-rays.

But this has nothing to do with what I want on 'my' Raspberry Pi!

cousinsp

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:00 pm

MartinRaspberry said:

cnxsoft said:

How about streaming MP4 videos over 100Mb ethernet from my Windows Home Server running MyMovies (which automatically converted them from DVD rips)?

cnxsoft

Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:37 am

cousinsp said:

MartinRaspberry said:

cnxsoft said:

How about streaming MP4 videos over 100Mb ethernet from my Windows Home Server running MyMovies (which automatically converted them from DVD rips)?

I'm not sure what MyMovies does exactly, but if it re-encode the blue-ray into lower bit rate videos, then it would be just fine. I've seen Blu-ray movies converted into Mkv/h.264 @ 10Mbit/s and I could not see the difference with the original.

Playing the videos stored in an NFS server gave much better performance than CF card playback. We mainly had this problem with one particular type of CF card (the customer CF cards..). The performance also depended on the file system used, but with faster processors like the one used in Raspberry Pi, the chosen file system may not be an issue. Playing from USB hard drives was also fine, although playing 40Mbit/s movies smoothly was only achievable with a SATA hard drive.

Antipodean

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:15 am

This should be a very easy question to answer - If the HDMI interface supports HDCP it will have at least one key embedded in the hardware. No Key - No protected content - end of story.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:17 am

Antipodean said:

This should be a very easy question to answer - If the HDMI interface supports HDCP it will have at least one key embedded in the hardware. No Key - No protected content - end of story.

Although the HDMI I/F does support HDCP (it has to to adhere to the HDMI standard I believe), there is no embedded key - that's usually put on by customers of the chip - not the manufacturer of as the keys are manufacturer issued. I don't beleive the Foundation will be providing a key.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

MartinRaspberry

Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:58 pm

cnxsoft said:

cousinsp said:

MartinRaspberry said:

cnxsoft said:

I'm not sure what MyMovies does exactly, but if it re-encode the blue-ray into lower bit rate videos, then it would be just fine. I've seen Blu-ray movies converted into Mkv/h.264 @ 10Mbit/s and I could not see the difference with the original.

Playing the videos stored in an NFS server gave much better performance than CF card playback. We mainly had this problem with one particular type of CF card (the customer CF cards..). The performance also depended on the file system used, but with faster processors like the one used in Raspberry Pi, the chosen file system may not be an issue. Playing from USB hard drives was also fine, although playing 40Mbit/s movies smoothly was only achievable with a SATA hard drive.

MyMovies comes in stand-alone and client/server flavours.  I use the standalone that is a plug-in to windows media server.  My Movies provides a 10ft interface cover flow UI to select your online movies, and integrates backup programs such as AnyDVD and players such as TotalMediaTheatre.

AnyDVDHD backs up a blu-ray removing protection, in file structure or as an ISO. You then use a player such as TotalMediaThreatre to play it, just like a blu-ray in your drive, all the features etc, the same player company provides VirtualCloneDrive(VCD) to automatically open the ISO on a virtual drive. My Movies just glues all this together, backup, player, Cover flow UI etc.

Typical HTPC setups on this platform will be a basic wintel box, a usb2.0 hub with dozens of external hard drives connected over usb. The only restriction is windows having only drives a-z! Before the Thailand floods hit manufacture of hard drives 2TB cost £60. I have about 30TB.

These applications are for HTPC, there's no fiddling with bit-rates etc, it's as original in terms of format minus protection!

ronj75

Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:42 pm

I think we can skip all of the "is this legal or not" argument and just go with "if I have a unencrypted bluray ISO will this play? And what problems would I have?".

So far weve said the you can handle the stream but audio and bandwidth are the problems?

the optical port would be good option. I would like it to do pass thru on the hdmi_port to possibly save from decoding-transcoding the signal.

btw perhaps there could be a video lan port that would include the codecs.

reallynotnick

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:28 pm

cnxsoft said:

Playing from USB hard drives was also fine, although playing 40Mbit/s movies smoothly was only achievable with a SATA hard drive.

I'm not sure if you mean you can't play a 40Mb/s movie off a USB external drive, but I know it is totally possible, the only thing that could limit you was if your computer was just really slow. I can pull data off my USB 2.0 drives at 35MB/s+ (280Mb/s) very easily, if you can't get 40Mb/s without connecting the drive with either eSATA or just SATA, there is something wrong with either your computer or the drives USB controller most likely.

Jessie

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:22 pm

ronj75 said:

I think we can skip all of the "is this legal or not" argument and just go with "if I have a unencrypted bluray ISO will this play? And what problems would I have?".

So far weve said the you can handle the stream but audio and bandwidth are the problems?

Unlike DVD roms which were always encoded MPEG-2, BluRay can use a number of compression algorithms.  So the answer is not straight forward.  If it is encoded h.264 than yes.  If it is encoded VC-1 then no, at least until the R-Pi is updated to hardware decode that.

There are no issues, USB 2.0 has plenty of bandwidth to stream a full high def movie with surround, provided your drive is fast enough.

jamesh

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:09 pm

I think the GPU can decode VC-1 (Didn't Dom mention it?) , it's just not licenced.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Jessie

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:01 am

JamesH said:

I think the GPU can decode VC-1 (Didn't Dom mention it?) , it's just not licenced.

I guess I thought that it was another issue.  Oh well so there you have it you won't be playing VC-1 encoded BluRay on the R-Pi without transcoding to something else first.

Return to “General discussion”