Liamza2314
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:39 pm

Pls help, cant boot my pi or run any operating systems

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:21 am

Hi, I have a Raspberry Pi 2B and it's been running smoothly with Raspbian (apologies i dont remember the disto, I think it was Jessie) and Kodi installed in my sister's room as a media center, all of a sudden when I boot it, I get constant undervoltage warnings, strange noises over composite and a shutdown. I took it to my room, installed OSMC, plugged it into my monitor through a low power hdmi to vga adapter, but low and behold, undervoltage and shutdown. I tried it with 4 different Micro usb cables in many different sockets around the house, including my laptop, but the red light cant stay on for very long and i get the undervoltage and shutdown. I also tried retropie but the same issue. I have had undervoltage warnings for a long time but it has always sorta dissapeared eventually and allowed me to keep using it. I have never overclocked my pi and never used it for more than kodi and occasionally broadcasting radio

Please help as I really want to use RaspAnd as the whole reason I got the pi initially was to install android on it when a usable version arose

Thanks in advance

-Liam

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 9869
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: Pls help, cant boot my pi or run any operating systems

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:30 am

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151 will cover everything you need,
what else has been plugged into it?
does the CPU chip get hot to the touch ?
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

pcmanbob
Posts: 3697
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: Pls help, cant boot my pi or run any operating systems

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:04 pm

If you are getting under voltage warnings and you have tried different USB cables, have you tried a different PSU ?

its not unknown for them to fail especially if its a cheap psu designed for charging phones.
Please only ask questions in the forum I will not answer questions sent to me directly via PM
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

Liamza2314
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: Pls help, cant boot my pi or run any operating systems

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:59 am

RaTTuS wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:30 am
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151 will cover everything you need,
what else has been plugged into it?
does the CPU chip get hot to the touch ?
Nothing besides a flash drive and a keyboard for controlling kodi, and the chip gets slightly warm but not too hectic

Liamza2314
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: Pls help, cant boot my pi or run any operating systems

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:00 am

pcmanbob wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:04 pm
If you are getting under voltage warnings and you have tried different USB cables, have you tried a different PSU ?

its not unknown for them to fail especially if its a cheap psu designed for charging phones.
yeah, i swapped out the psu a couple times to no avail

pcmanbob
Posts: 3697
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: Pls help, cant boot my pi or run any operating systems

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:35 am

Have you tried measuring the voltage on the 5v pin that's on the gpio header while your pi is booting , if you say the red LED is still going out even after changing the psu several times that would be my next suggestion.
Please only ask questions in the forum I will not answer questions sent to me directly via PM
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

Liamza2314
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: Pls help, cant boot my pi or run any operating systems

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:11 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:35 am
Have you tried measuring the voltage on the 5v pin that's on the gpio header while your pi is booting , if you say the red LED is still going out even after changing the psu several times that would be my next suggestion.
Lmao sorry, I'm more of a software guy, how would i go about doing that?

Also as a side note, I've heard of undervoltage corrupting sdcards, I doubt this is the issue as I've reformatted my card quite a few times, however I will try a new card if i can get my hands on one

pcmanbob
Posts: 3697
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: Pls help, cant boot my pi or run any operating systems

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:40 pm

First you need a digital volt meter , set to a DC voltage range of 0-20v a hobbyist meter like this will be fine.

Image

then you need to connect the leads of the meter to these 2 pins on the pi

Image

Now you can try and do it connecting the lead directly to the pins but I don't advise it as you can easily short out adjacent pins
so I recommend you use 2 dupont wires to connect to the pi gpio pins and then connect your meter to the dupont wires.

Image

now ideally you want a voltage of 5 - 5.1V showing on the meter with the pi booting. in this example I am boot my pi3B using a 5V 2A switch mode power supply and as you can see I have a voltage of 5.055V which is just about perfect.
Please only ask questions in the forum I will not answer questions sent to me directly via PM
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

Liamza2314
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: Pls help, cant boot my pi or run any operating systems

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:22 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:40 pm
First you need a digital volt meter , set to a DC voltage range of 0-20v a hobbyist meter like this will be fine.

Image

then you need to connect the leads of the meter to these 2 pins on the pi

Image

Now you can try and do it connecting the lead directly to the pins but I don't advise it as you can easily short out adjacent pins
so I recommend you use 2 dupont wires to connect to the pi gpio pins and then connect your meter to the dupont wires.

Image

now ideally you want a voltage of 5 - 5.1V showing on the meter with the pi booting. in this example I am boot my pi3B using a 5V 2A switch mode power supply and as you can see I have a voltage of 5.055V which is just about perfect.
I'll do my best to obtain such a device, thank you

Return to “General discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Heater, lmarmisa, stubright and 10 guests