beatsal

SD CARD copier

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:14 am

This is in accessories of PI. How does it work? I want to copy from 1 SD to another. Do I need 2 PIs working at same time for this?

fruitoftheloom

Re: SD CARD copier

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:24 am

beatsal wrote:
This is in accessories of PI. How does it work? I want to copy from 1 SD to another. Do I need 2 PIs working at same time for this?

You need a USB SDHC Card Reader.
Retired disgracefully.....

beatsal

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:55 am

Thanks. Not familiar with this. So I stick the reader on the computer USB port and copy to the RPI directly?

klricks

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:30 am

beatsal wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:55 am
Thanks. Not familiar with this. So I stick the reader on the computer USB port and copy to the RPI directly?
No.
You connect the cardreader to a USB port on the RPi. The SD card (Running OS) in the RPi is then copied to the SD card in the cardreader.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

B.Goode

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:35 am

beatsal wrote:
Rather than 'ping pong' questions here, maybe you should read what the Raspberry Pi Foundation wrote in the blog post that introduced this utility 18 months ago?

See https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... -raspbian/, under the heading SD card copier.

schnabeltier

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:43 pm

Does anyone know if SD card copier creates an exact, consistent snapshot image of the point in time when the copy was started? Or does it only create simple copies like the dd command does which may suffer from corrupted files and files from different points in time because there was any write access to the system’s SD during backup? The problem I came across is described here: https://superuser.com/a/396808/1031662

Up to now the only two really working methods for backup I know are:
- turn of pi, remove SD card and create an image with another computer e.g. with Win32DiskImager on Windows
- use LVM

Jimblob64

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:57 pm

Judging by my first use of SD card copier 2 days ago, it looks like all my files, programs, and customizations were copied over, so I'd say it's a complete image of the Pi's SD card.

Though it doesn't seem to mind copying to a smaller card than your current one, as long as the destination card has enough space to hold your stuff.
RPi 4B w/ Buster in a toasty little official case, and an RPi 3B w/ Stretch.

rjbook51

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:06 pm

SD card copier partitions the target drive, then copies over the data. This allows you to copy a drive to a different sized drive, and you can use a smaller capacity drive as long as the data fits. Note that SD card copier works just fine for those of us who USB boot and go HD to HD.

Now if you want to make a true image of your card or HD, I suggest gnome disk utilities (sudo apt-get install gnome-disk-utilities) which allows you to create an image, then restore it. You can also use this to create a new SD card from a Raspian image. You can run gnome-disks from the terminal once installed, or search your menu for "disks". This app, along with gparted, are extremely useful.

If you just want to back up data, then take a look at Grsync...the GUI front end for rsync.

rin67630

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:00 pm

schnabeltier wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:43 pm
Does anyone know if SD card copier creates an exact, consistent snapshot image of the point in time when the copy was started?
Very probably not, but I never had any problem and all copies worked OOB.
If you really want to be 100% sure try a first copy, shutdown the pi, swap the SD cards and run the pi from the copy and use two USB-micro-SD adapters to copy from SD to SD.

Return to “General discussion”