Benn a sole Linux guy for 15 years. Only reason I even have a win10 pc in the house is my sons school requires he have access to what they have.
However over the past few years I find myself running into an issue no matter what Im dealing with.
1) I have 1/2 dozen pi's in the 2 through the range. and now my boy is at that point, I want him continuing to excel so now that hes taking his 1st computer class, hes going to build his 1st PC
2)I have a spare PI ready for this project. as well as everything else he needs, mouse kbd, external storage 22" and 10" monitors, nics etc
3) my main pc is an 8 core AMD w/ 32+ GB of ram about 35TB of HD space inside and another dozen 1TB-4TB hd's wating outside the box
On my desktop, I seem to be able to plug in no more that 4 external USB2 or USB3 ports, PLUS I have a fully powered 7 ports for the whole power strip. I plug in drive 5 and either rit wont load OR it will drop off and take something else w/ it.
Clearer example: I have 4 4TB USB Drives ready to go, I power up the power strip, and plug in drive 1 - it appears and is ready to go. ditto drive 2,3 and 4.
But I have ANOTHER USB drive I want to get access to, so I plug it into the strip.
1) the drive NEVER appears
2)while waiting I power ip the next USB drive I plug it in.
- USB discovery never finds it
- I open RCS or SPACEFM or DOLPHIN, and I direct to the MEDIA dir and its not there
- lusb, nada, same w/ dmesg and fdisk -l
3) within about 60 seconds one of my other USBDRIVES will "drop off", NORMALLY its the "last on the list"
Im not terribly creative w/ naming so its USBHDD1 to USBHDD5, most recently its been the ones ;
On my RASPI 3 w/ STRETCH the newest drive never shows and it too will end up taking one with it.
Now all these drives have nice big in line buffers, so the line is clean, and powerd, the HUB allows me to plug in mice, trackballs Kinects. keyboards, mice,trackballs, IRigs you name it, and nothing ever shows in RASPI
is there like a 3 drive limit that ium not reading about?
I apologize for my typing rediculoulesly tired,
Thanks for any and all your help