Jason_25

Extra short or right angle dupont connectors? For stacking components on top of GPIO

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:15 pm

I was hoping to find some extra short dupont connectors or premade wires with extra short dupont connectors already attached.

I am stacking a battery (covered in electrical tape) directly on top of the gpio connector. I need to do this to save space. So I figured the easiest option to still use the GPIO in this situation is to get extra short or right angle connectors.

I have tried cutting down the dupont connectors but it looks like it will be unreliable because they don't fit well anymore. Also sometimes they get smashed at the end when cut and don't fit at all. Also modifying components this way will never work with a "production line" process.

Does anyone know where to find these and do I have any other options?

DougieLawson

Re: Extra short or right angle dupont connectors? For stacking components on top of GPIO

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:11 pm

I've found that the lowest profile connectors are IDC ribbon cable connectors without the retaining clip.

Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

MaxK1

Re: Extra short or right angle dupont connectors? For stacking components on top of GPIO

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:16 pm

Adafruit has a variety of headers, look through those to see if they have anything.
What about putting the battery on the underside of the Pi?
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

Jason_25

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:43 am

I just got around to trying this. Thanks for the tip on the IDC connectors and pulling off the clip. The ones I have do not have exposed metal when you pull off the clip. Still plastic but much shorter. I am a little worried about the thickness of the wire when it comes to powering a device straight from the GPIO pins though I am going to make the wire as short as possible and give it a try anyway.

edit: it does have the exposed metal. There are two layers that can be removed. It is truly short when both layers are removed and the cable is still kept in tension by barbs.

Return to “General discussion”