harry krishna

Re: disappointment

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:26 pm

i didn't find an area dealing with disappointment when i searched, so i'm starting one.  i'm a geezer and quite cynical, so i am surprised to be this disappointed at this point in the process.  particularly galling is the logo about "$25 linux", when i have just viewed the ebay auction.  i'm not looking for comfort, but perhaps further explanation is in order.

kme

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Look up "charity" and do your homework.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:30 pm

harry krishna said:

i didn't find an area dealing with disappointment when i searched, so i'm starting one.  i'm a geezer and quite cynical, so i am surprised to be this disappointed at this point in the process.  particularly galling is the logo about "$25 linux", when i have just viewed the ebay auction.  i'm not looking for comfort, but perhaps further explanation is in order.

I think the clue is in the word 'auction', where prices are set by the buyer, not by the seller. The first ten boards are being sold on EBay as, in effect, collectors items, which is why they are selling for such a high number.

Don't be worried/disapointed/outraged, the final production boards will be available end Jan/start Feb at the original  $25 and $35 price points.

This has all been explained elsewhere, so you didn't really need to start a new topic. A bit of reading would have shown the answer.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

barnaby

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:34 pm

The boards selling for £650 – £1750 (at time of writing) on eBay are a limited batch of boards that are going out pre-production. They are to raise a bit of money for the Raspberry Pi Charity, and to let people who are crazy desperate get their hands on one early.

Perhaps instead of posting demanding 'further explanation' you should have read the FAQ and the eBay item description? It's fairly clear that RasPi are dedicated to getting the products made and sold for the smallest amount they can.

Cheers,

Barnaby

EDIT: JamesH got there before me

jamesh

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:39 pm

Locking as its all explained elsewhere
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “General discussion”