MatthewB

NOOBS Download Error

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:16 am

I recently got my Raspberry Pi 3B and set it up. It came with a microSD card preinstalled with Raspbian and RetroPie. I booted it up and installed Raspbian. Later, I restarted it and tried downloading RetroPie but it said I had a damaged tarball or something along those lines. Then, I tried using my mac to redownload Noobs because I thought there was something wrong with the files. When I plugged in the microSD card into my computer, I got two folders, a RECOVERY and a boot SD folder. The Recovery folder had similar contents to the NOOBS download off your website, so I replaced the contents and plugged my SD card in. It still did nothing and then I considered the fact that I would have to use Disk Utility and erase the SD card. Once I did so, I put NOOBS again on the RECOVERY folder of the microSD card and plugged my Raspberry Pi in. This time it did not boot up or do anything. I know I'm doing something wrong and I am not such a techy kind of kid, but I can't seem to find a tutorial that really helps me use a Mac with the Raspberry Pi. Is there any advice someone could give me to help me be able to download RetroPie. I don't want to do more damage because I feel I've ruined my microSD card. Thanks!

wh7qq

Re: NOOBS Download Error

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:03 am

All might not be lost with the uSD card. Download a fresh copy of Noobs, or better, Raspbian-latest from the RPi org site above. Verify the downloaded .zip file against the published sha256sum for your download and then use the free utility Etcher to burn the uSD card. Etcher will do it all...unzip the file, partition the uSD and burn the image to the card. If it completes without errors, put it in the RPi and apply power. Keep in mind, you should always use a proper shutdown procedure before disconnecting power or removing the uSD card...failure to do so invites corruption of the uSD card.

Still, get another uSD card (8G or larger, class 10 from a premium mfgr. and source...no auction sites) and burn the above download to it. If both work, you have a spare.
Sent by WH7QQ from an RPi3/Raspbian/pixel desktop.

MatthewB

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:58 pm

Thanks! I'll try it when I get home. Is there any way I have to properly put it on a sd card or can I just drag and drop onto it. Also, why do I have two folders when I put the SD card in; a boot and a RECOVERY?

MatthewB

Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:21 am

Why is nobody replying to me

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:52 am

MatthewB wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:21 am
Why is nobody replying to me

Because no one gets paid here, we are all volunteers :roll:
Adieu

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:04 am

MatthewB wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:16 am
I recently got my Raspberry Pi 3B and set it up. It came with a microSD card preinstalled with Raspbian and RetroPie. I booted it up and installed Raspbian. Later, I restarted it and tried downloading RetroPie but it said I had a damaged tarball or something along those lines. Then, I tried using my mac to redownload Noobs because I thought there was something wrong with the files. When I plugged in the microSD card into my computer, I got two folders, a RECOVERY and a boot SD folder. The Recovery folder had similar contents to the NOOBS download off your website, so I replaced the contents and plugged my SD card in. It still did nothing and then I considered the fact that I would have to use Disk Utility and erase the SD card. Once I did so, I put NOOBS again on the RECOVERY folder of the microSD card and plugged my Raspberry Pi in. This time it did not boot up or do anything. I know I'm doing something wrong and I am not such a techy kind of kid, but I can't seem to find a tutorial that really helps me use a Mac with the Raspberry Pi. Is there any advice someone could give me to help me be able to download RetroPie. I don't want to do more damage because I feel I've ruined my microSD card. Thanks!

If all you want is Retropie, which uses Raspbian Jessie Lite as it base Operating System, then download the "retropie-4.3-rpi2_rpi3.img.gz" file:

https://retropie.org.uk/download/#Pre-m ... spberry_Pi

Etcher both unzips the .img.gz file and creates a bootable SD Card, there is a version of Etcher for Intel Macs running OSX / MacOS:

https://etcher.io/
Adieu

MatthewB

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:42 pm

But what do I do because I have two SD card Folders. I have a Recovery and a Boot and I don't know where to put the downloaded thing.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:50 pm

MatthewB wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:42 pm
But what do I do because I have two SD card Folders. I have a Recovery and a Boot and I don't know where to put the downloaded thing.
Etcher overwrites the SD Card and creates a bootable SD Card as I stated above.
Adieu

MatthewB

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:56 am

Thanks! this actually worked

Return to “General discussion”