Phil Spiegel

Multiple Licences for Multiple Pi's?...

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:55 pm

Greetings
I havn't yet ordered any licences for my Pi's; or I'd probably have discovered the answer to this by now 8-)
(But searching the forum on codec licence revealed no related question and answer)

I plan, partly for convenience and interchangeability, to order the same licences for each of my Ppis:

Will I need to create differing, unique, startup cards for each of them - perhaps colour-coding the cards to avoid confusion??? or will I simply be able to have the list of licence-keys for every one of my Rpis, identically on each card? - I hope it is the latter, as a different answer would be a logistical problem in a school environment - although it might result in a long start up file for a well-equipped school!! 8-)

I dread to think of the comparative price for these licences versus a PC hardware board for h.264 I bought just a few years ago [ for the price of ABOUT 10 Rpis] , but that's technological improvements for you 8-)

And OT: Have any new recipients of a 512MB board complained about any increased power consumption caused by the extra memory??? .. and the extra sleepless nights for ex-Msoft programmers believing thay have to fill it?

itimpi

Re: Multiple Licences for Multiple Pi's?...

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:07 pm

You can include multiple licenses in a config.txt file. The license keys all end up on the same line comma separated. There is an upper limit - something like 5 or 6 but that should be enough for most people.

abishur

Re: Multiple Licences for Multiple Pi's?...

Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:16 pm

There's also been some prelim reports by forum members suggesting that the 512 board take a little less power.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Return to “General discussion”