PeterO

Re: CPU load vs. Turbo mode

Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:31 pm

doveman wrote:The point I was trying to make is that it will constantly be jumping from idle to turbo speeds, which doesn't sound ideal and it would be better if it would mostly stay at turbo speeds when being used (i.e. CPU over 50-60%) which can be achieved by changing the up_threshold.
If you had ever watched the CPU speed on a desktop Linux machine jumping up and down you wouldn't be worrying about this......
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

munklefish

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:56 am

doveman wrote:No thanks, I'm just going to change the cpu threshold as you haven't said anything to stop me from believing that this ping-ponging will happen without changing it.
Ok....

1) Its not my job to prove anything too you, and God knows why you are so arrogant as to give such a response!

2) Ive tried it for many months and it works. I know it works, since Ive been running like this for many months with a 24/7 stable system, and I can see the cpu load/Mhz via raspcontrol.

3) Stay Happy!!!
http://www.codeclinic.de

Micha1982

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:30 am

Another suggest: Why don´t set that treshold-value to (almost) 0?

I never read this awesome thread before, great script and I´ll go to try later today :)

Why? Cause I think that governor isn´t touched with that script, so I think it should go back to 700 if it reaches its max. temp of 85°C, shouldn´t it? I NEVER reached that high temp in my normal usage, but as far as I understand is possibly overheating without that auto-clock-down-on-demand-governor through oc the reason for loosing guarantee, and in my opinion - with this script - Pi should go back from 1000 to 700 at 85°, which shouldn´t affect hardware/guarantee - but correct me if I am wrong (cause governor (hopefully) still workin)

So wouldn´t it be possible to get 1000Mhz all the time (with guarantee) (until 85°C is reached)?

EDIT: Ah, I simply go and test it now....Pi-super-turbo :) Back in a few minutes.....
Alles, was schiefgehen kann, wird auch schiefgehen.

Micha1982

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:45 am

MattSwarbrick wrote:Ok, well it seems to work if you put this:

Code: Select all

echo 50 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold 
into the rc.local script which runs on startup.
You can edit the rc.local script with the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/rc.local
Then add the above command into the file, above where it prints the IP or something, then it should work.
You can view CPU usage by running top, the process I was playing with was running on 70% now runs on 40% with overclock and the threshold set
Doesn't seem to work here...how can I proof if Pi is really working with any of these here set values?
If I start Minecraft CPU-usage shows ~20percent all the time while speed is at 700 , even if I set thatup-threshold to 0, 1, 5, 10 or 20....also tried with sleep, same result - no changes.

xbs

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:07 am

If your goal is to have constant oc why dont you set force turbo to 1?

Setting up threshold to near 0 is same as having oc all the time, atleast in openelec.

Micha1982

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:18 am

Thats what I wanted to point out - if I set force-turbo, guarantee is lost - without that, with this script here, clocking-down-at-85°C-governor (which 'safes' guarantee) is still working ;)

As far as I know, correct if that is wrong.

Furthermore I figured out that I can open that file with leafpad and that it shows the actual value set of up-threshold, moreover I got it to work! Found out that minimal value to got that script to work is 11, 10 doesn work and that file shows 95!

I am now on 11 and couldn say that temp is much higher than before in normal desktop usage until now, around 61°C as before...and....damn, it's GREAT! Many thanks to all the guys figured out this script here, awesome! :)

Return to “General discussion”