Clair

Re: Plea for the end-users and usability for R-Pi - SD card OS

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:38 am

from the Raspberry-Pi 101 post:

" Our first priority needs to be to the getting the Raspberry Pi into the hands of children who need them . . ."

My question: why o why is there not going to be an available SD card OS -- $10-15USD at the most -- with basic Linux (LXDE spin)? The R-Pi then becomes plug and play right off the bat. And, as you've already pointed out, all the help in the world is available for Linux. Put your marvelous invention into waiting hands ready for immediate use. Don't give anyone the opportunity to be unable to use it because they can't get the aftermarket stuff to work, can't wade through the installation swamp, and thus toss a wonderful piece of hardware onto the shelf for reasons that have nothing to do with the hardware!

Do this and put the start of the manual up on your site -- hell, I'll write it for the project--and then let the manual grow as users contribute instructions for what they are doing with the R-pi! I design web sites and releasing the R-pi in a naked state is like have the most wonderful, useful web site in the world WITHOUT a navigation panel.

I've worked in tech support for high end software, muddled about as a junior programmer in C and Visual Basic, mucked about with computers (Sinclair, Atari, DEC Rainbow, and on and on) since 1980. Ready-to-Run and accurate manuals or lack thereof can make or break a product. Please Please consider offering one solution out of the box. Users/teachers/developers can adventure off on their own as they wish, but those not wanting to will not have to.

Sorry for the sort-of-rant, but I'm really passionate about this.

love,

Clair

kme

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:45 am

Clair said:

My question: why o why is there not going to be an available SD card OS -- $10-15USD at the most -- with basic Linux (LXDE spin)? The R-Pi then becomes plug and play right off the bat.

I don't know what you are ranting about. Of course you can buy ready-made SD cards with a polished Linux on it together with the R-Pi purchase.

Clair

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:50 am

I'm sorry KME -- I read a great deal on the forum about SD-cards and Linux versions and understood that this was being left up to the end-user. All sorts of complex discussions about ISO images, and make, and installs -- etc.

I must somehow have missed that this had been resolved and that there was a definite (and available) solution that was going to be offered.

I do apologize, but that is what I came away with from reading the R-Pi Wiki for Beginners.

Can you please point me to the solution I missed? I would appreciate it!

Thanks much,

Clair

Melancholy

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:51 am

From the FAQ:

What Linux distros will be supported at launch?
Debian, Fedora and ArchLinux will be supported from the start. We hope to see support from other distros later. We will be selling SD cards with the distros preloaded. (Sept 4 2011 – originally, this FAQ suggested that Ubuntu would be supported. Because of issues with newer releases of Ubuntu and the ARM processor we are using, Ubuntu can’t commit to support Raspberry Pi at the moment.)

The Manual: Raspberry Pi wiki at eLinux

I hope this addresses your concerns.

Clair

Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:05 pm

Thanks much Melancholy -- you've made my day. BUT, this link is where I read what set me off:

Beginners: Set-up

That page goes on and on -- into all things I assume a beginning users would NOT want to deal with. Perhaps the fault lies in a mis-titling!

Anyway, perhaps someone with powers that be permission could disappear this entire thread!!!

Happy New Year, my friend -- and thanks again for setting me straight! Can't wait to get my hands on one of the little blighters!

Cheers,

Clair

johnbeetem

Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:15 pm

Clair said:

Thanks much Melancholy — you've made my day. BUT, this link is where I read what set me off:

Beginners: Set-up

That page goes on and on — into all things I assume a beginning users would NOT want to deal with. Perhaps the fault lies in a mis-titling!

The most important part of the RaspberryPiBoardBeginners page is:

Please note that the Raspberry Pi isn't released yet – this page is a community work in progress in preparation for the launch"

The second most important part of the page is:

Thanks to Nabax, _vlad, jkridner, ds2 and the other BeagleBoard wiki contributors on elinux.org for an excellent BeagleBoardBeginners resource, which we used as the template for this page.

The RaspberryPiBoardBeginners page started as a clone of the BeagleBoardBeginners page and is being modified by volunteer contributors to match RasPi.  There's a lot there that only applies to BeagleBoard, for example most RasPi users will not be using the serial port whereas most Beaglers do, at least to get started.  The last time I looked, BeagleBoard did not come with an SD card so you were very much on your own getting started.  Since BeagleBoard is targeted at serious developers and experimenters and not at school-children, the extra learning curve hasn't been a deal-breaker.  None of the SD card formatting applies to people who buy SD cards with their RasPis, but does apply (in suitably modified form) to people who want to use an existing SD card or load a different OS.

I hope the RaspberryPiBoardBeginners page will be highly usable by the time RasPi starts shipping in very large quantities, but like any community-supported web site it depends on volunteers.

Edit: I edited the RaspberryPiBoardBeginners page to clarify at the top that much of it applies to BeagleBoard rather than RasPi to reduce future frustration.  I'm glad Clair raised this issue since without the clarification RaspberryPiBoardBeginners is quite confusing and frustrating indeed.

SergeantFTC

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:03 pm

Also, not everyone will be buying a pre-done SD card, so we need plenty of documentation about doing it yourself. I do think that we should mention the availability of easy SD cards near the top of the aforementioned article.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:22 pm

SergeantFTC said:

Also, not everyone will be buying a pre-done SD card, so we need plenty of documentation about doing it yourself. I do think that we should mention the availability of easy SD cards near the top of the aforementioned article.

As I understand it, card images will be available for download and transfer when the Rasp Pi becomes available.  I also believe that a standard utility for transferring card images to cards will also be available for download.  Things should be pretty simple, even if you don't buy a preloaded SD card from the Foundation.

(std disclaimer, not connected with the Foundation, just a potential customer!)

6+3 = 9  Gosh!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

scep

Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:44 pm

The education release later this year will have a pre built SD card image(s) plus a user guide that will contain programming lessons and other stuff.

Return to “General discussion”