lmassey2000

Homemade joystick and buttons not working

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:31 pm

Hi, I just recently got a Pi and this is my first project. Online I saw a video on how to build your own retro pie joypad. So I made the whole pad and connected the pins to the pie correctly but, it isn’t showing up. I know there is some sort of software I need to use for the pi to read the ports as a usb device, but I haven’t been able to find any that work. Also when I try to run retropie through raspbian, it says it isn’t supported yet. I don’t want to run retropie straight off of the sd card because I’m not sure how I will run the software for the joypad, while retropie is the main os. Please help. I don’t want a bad, first experience.

joeygbsn

Re: Homemade joystick and buttons not working

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:41 pm

Can you post a link to the guide you used. Also retropie uses raspbian as its base os so whatever you do on rasbian will work with retropie. They are still using jessie though. If the buttons are hooked directly to the pi you need yo use something like retrogame to turn the button presses into keyboard presses.

OutoftheBOTS

Re: Homemade joystick and buttons not working

Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:55 am

I have just started to play with retrio pi so am not an expert but this what I found.

Burned the retrio pi image from the retro pie website to a fresh sd card and booted it up and it when into a config mode for the keyboard then joystick. I used a kit that I brought for your building your own arcade style control pad that turns on/off buttons into a usb connection. After the keyboard was setup it then asked me to setup the joystick and I just pressed a button on my home build arcade pad and it detected it and set it up

Return to “General discussion”